Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 758 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Stoltec Moto is no longer flashing FZ-09 ECUs. However, our flashes can be purchased through our tuning partner, 2WheelDynoWorks: http://2wheeldynoworks.com/. Nels is a great tuner and an all-around decent person. He'll take care of your bike.

Alternatively, Flash Tune can also flash your ECU: https://ftecu.com/

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Custom Map Options, as in, for an aftermarket pipe? Say, something like the Graves. It says no custom fueling, but doesn't an aftermarket pipe require a richer map?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does the ECU remap affect the acceleration of the FZ-09?
I understand that the main purpose is to smooth the throttle response but how will it affect 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This reflash is designed to improve rideability and feel. I haven't tested 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, so I won't make any claims. That said, nothing has been done to affect peak horsepower; this is only possible with fueling/timing improvements aimed at maximum power. Your performance times shouldn't change.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm all over this, If i stop by one day when it gets nicer can you do it same day Nick if we agree on a date?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am buying a Graves full system, and I don't want to end up with a lean condition if I put the pipe on and invest in a flash. Then I will have to turn around and buy a Bazaaz or Power Commander thus throwing time and money to the wind. I am not trying to be a pain, I just don't quite get it, and I definitely don't want to cause myself an engine issue. Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I get an extra hundred +shipping I'm definitely in! I want a smoother ride...not too concerned with power and speed because there is plenty :). Someday I may try to max out lol. As always nice work!

Reactions: Kilo

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm all over this, If i stop by one day when it gets nicer can you do it same day Nick if we agree on a date?
Yes, absolutely.

I am buying a Graves full system, and I don't want to end up with a lean condition if I put the pipe on and invest in a flash. Then I will have to turn around and buy a Bazaaz or Power Commander thus throwing time and money to the wind. I am not trying to be a pain, I just don't quite get it, and I definitely don't want to cause myself an engine issue. Please enlighten me.
This flash directly modifies the ECU's throttle maps, removes the speed limiter, removes the timing retard, smooths out some areas in the timing maps, eliminates the injector cut on deceleration, and has the option of defaulting to A mode (if desired). Custom maps can adjust idle speed, fan temps, etc. A Power Commander (or any fuel controller) is a piggyback module that controls fueling by intercepting and modifying signals being sent from the ECU.

For the record, fueling CAN be adjusted with Flash Tune's software. I just won't be making and selling maps for each exhaust configuration out there. There are too many exhaust systems and variables to tune around via mail; the tunes would be a compromise at best. Your options to fully adjust the ECU for fuel/timing/throttle/etc. is to buy this flash and a fuel controller or wait until the connectors are available and buy the full Flash Tune suite. Either route will end up running you about $400 in total. It comes down to how involved you want to be with the ECU and what your intentions are...YMMV.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I just won't be making and selling maps for each exhaust configuration out there. There are too many exhaust systems and variables to tune around via mail; the tunes would be a compromise at best.
I understood what you said before. I was not asking you if you could, or would, make maps for exhaust configurations.

I, as well as many others on here, will be making exhaust changes. Not being a Dyno guru, I wanted to make sure that I did not get a false sense of security, and end up with a lean condition when I get a pipe.

I assume that once the connector and software are released, it appears that I can load a Dynojet map and use the notes that I made from the standard Flashtune map based on the conditions that I chose and load the Dynojet map and make changes to blend the two together.

I am not out to fatten it up a bunch, I just don't want it lean.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If I understand correctly, stoltec's flash does not affect fueling ratios, and riders going with stock or aftermarket exhaust will get the same benefit.

But given the need to adjust ratios with a new exhaust, you will need to get a power commander if you get an appreciably freer flowing exhaust, whether you get stoltec's flash or not.

It sounds like getting a new exhaust before a power commander is available is a crap shoot, unless you are a tuning junkie like Marthy or nick.

Nick: do you have a new exhaust or pipe?....and have you made a new flash for your own exhaust for personal use?
If not, do you plan on getting one? Suggestion: if so, if you go with one of the popular systems like acropovic, it might be a good supplementary offering in addition to the 'stock exhaust flash'...as many folks like Doug want both a flashed ecu and optimized fuel map for aftermarket exhaust. Of course, it would only be for the one you pick, but better than nothing.

Nevermind if you plan to stick with Oem exhaust.

For me, the stock exhaust is good enough for now. Lots of better places to throw my money IMO, yeah, a throatier idle is cool at a stoplight, but I need earplugs as it is. And that soundclip of the acro vs Oem that you posted, the Oem actually sounds pretty good when revved up. For me an exhaust upgrade would only be for sound...I don't think I need any more hp's on this bike. It's like a billionaire agonizing for more money....what for??? Lol

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I understand that for some of you tuning the AFR with a new aftermarket exhaust is a must, and it is. Top end would manage the AFR but mid range would be way too lean unless you're using some sort of restriction like a DBKiller.

My controller goes for $225.00. If you guys are interested and we can put enough people together, I can get better price. That would required me to get the Flash and double check the tune/AFR but again... if we can put enough people together I don't mind doing the work.

If this is something you are all interested into, let me or Nick knows and we will start testing and come up with a package deal.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm in.. What's the estimated turn around?

1 - 20 of 758 Posts