Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2 miles, on straight roads, with a 25 mph speed limit. But that's all it took for me to buy the FZ-09, and I'm hooked on this little parallel twin too. I will be owning something with this engine in it too, it's brilliant. Super light, and quick to change direction. Almost no vibes. First and second gear wheelies just whacking the throttle open, and third gear with a little tug, or a fan of the clutch. What a scrappy little bitch. I love parallel twins.

I've always been more of a twins and singles guy. I've had 3 of the little Kawi parallel twins, sold my last one a couple months ago. This new FZ-07 seems to have much more torque (than my piped and tuned ER-6N), and with it's 270 degree crank has far fewer vibes, and sounds better too, like a v-twin.

I can't wait to see what else they put the triple and twin in. I just hope they follow the same formula with them... class leading performance, lighter than anything else in class, and value pricing. Yamaha is on a roll, and it's a great time to be a motorcyclist.

And when my dealer gets a demo in he said he'll let me loose in the twisties on it, as I've bought 3 new vehicles from him in the last 2 years. He said he's got 6 more on order, only one in white. He made it sound like the white will be harder to get, and that's the color I'd want.

I would have been perfectly happy if the FZ-07 would have come in before the FZ-09, it's all I really need for the street. I get a lot of satisfaction out of riding a smaller bike hard, sometimes it's just more fun, and fun is why I ride.

Post up if you got a ride on the 07.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The dealership where I purchased my FZ-09 hosted a Yamaha Demo Day. I'm interested in the FZ-07 mostly for my daughter, but sure I wanted to give a try for myself.

Curb appeal... yes!

A little closer...

Around the other side...

From the front...

From above...

From behind, with an FZ-09 directly ahead...

No surprise, a lot less power than the FZ-09, but lots of usable power right where it's needed most. Accelerates nicely to 70 MPH. The clutch and gear action is wonderful. 70 MPH arrives at about 5,000 RPM, and there was little vibration up to that speed. The LCD is shaped differently but seems to have the same functionality as the FZ-09's LCD. A larger display than the FZ-09, it should be easier to see but seems even further out of line of sight. Like the FZ-09's display, it's probably something that becomes a non-issue in the first couple of days.

Overall, this is a very nicely built motorcycle. Yamaha is on a roll. The FZ-07 is a winner.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, it's a fantastic bike, I could happily have that as an only bike if I had to. That parallel twin is just so feisty, like a scrappy puppy that doesn't know it's true size. Just like the FZ-09 has the gauge pod set to the side, and is pretty compact, some test riders didn't like it, but I was fine with it the first ride. I'd have no problem with the gauges on the handlebar. What I don't like is that Yamaha has moved the horn button. When you have multiple bikes, and your muscle memory is used to the horn being in a certain place it's "no bueno". I still have to look down to find the horn sometimes when I ride the FZ.

@ redeye: You gettin' one for your daughter? If so, lucky gal. It's fun riding with your kids. My main riding buddy is my son.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts