Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since It first came out I Just had to have fz09. But waited off on buying the 2014 because I knew there would be problems. I found a used 2015 model with only 1200 miles. Its the matt silver version with blue wheels. Just texting back and forth between the seller I got him down to 7500. The bike is all stock except for full akrapovic and a fender eliminator, he even said he will throw in 2 jackets and helmets. He just got the recall for the shift cam in the mail and said called the dealer today to schedule the repair. What do you guys think deal or pass? I'm really growing tired of my 09 cbr1000rr and I just want a comfortable sporty hooligan bike.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, especially if the bike is clean and the guy wasn't a wheelie monster and did not trash the bike.

If you can hold off to get the recall sorted out, which you will have to get done any ways.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Man I am skeptical of used hooligan bikes. I am sure there are many happily ever after stories but maybe my past luck has made me too cautious.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Man I am skeptical of used hooligan bikes. I am sure there are many happily ever after stories but maybe my past luck has made me too cautious.
Isn't this a little bit like buying a "slightly Used" 8cyl Mustang...???

Reactions: jkmoto-x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Isn't this a little bit like buying a "slightly Used" 8cyl Mustang...???
A good thing to check is the front fork seals, if they are leaking the guy did not know how wheelie and slammed the front wheel down to hard. Also with only 1200 miles, the tires should be in really good shape. If there isn't much rubber left, then you know the bike was abused.

You could even check with the shop he gets the recall repaired at, ask if they will give the bike a good check to make sure everything is ok.

hmmmmm, doesn't Steve have an 09 for sale???? Being a Florida bike (with all the straight roads), there probably isn't much wear in the chicken strip areas on the tires??? I know, bugger off, lol.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
A good thing to check is the front fork seals, if they are leaking the guy did not know how wheelie and slammed the front wheel down to hard. Also with only 1200 miles, the tires should be in really good shape. If there isn't much rubber left, then you know the bike was abused.

You could even check with the shop he gets the recall repaired at, ask if they will give the bike a good check to make sure everything is ok.

hmmmmm, doesn't Steve have an 09 for sale???? Being a Florida bike (with all the straight roads), there probably isn't much wear in the chicken strip areas on the tires??? I know, bugger off, lol.

Mine isn't for sale, but if it was it wouldn't fetch much -- I've ridden the balls off this sucker and, truth be told, I abuse everything & everyone.:p

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Hey Two Wheel, if you want the bike, you could go ahead and buy it and then get the recall done after you buy it. The warranty goes with the bike, not the owner.

Reactions: Jkaiser93

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Ninja,

Welcome to the blog and good luck with whatever you end up with.

The Akrapovic would tell me he didn't baby it, but you wouldn't want one that's been babied anyway. Probably the biggest risk is wheelie slamming the front end or a bad accident. Any sport bike that could be trashed in 1200 miles simply by riding it hard wouldn't be on the market very long. Ask the seller, point blank, if it's ever been in any accidents or dropped.

Another question for you is, do you really want your FZ to have Akrapovic? For me, that would either make it a good deal or not.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey Two Wheel, if you want the bike, you could go ahead and buy it and then get the recall done after you buy it. The warranty goes with the bike, not the owner.
Nice idea, but what if he buys it and crunches the shaft before it's fixed? Not to mention his inconvenience simply doing the recall. I just got a callback about mine. The part is in, but I have to leave it overnight, because they won't work on a hot engine. So, I have to come up with a ride to bring me home plus a ride the next day to pick it up. Since, we're not supposed to ride it until it's fixed, we should all demand that Yamaha pays for getting it into the shop.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It is definitely "Buy Beware" when it comes to buy any used vehicle. When it comes to used bike, there are some good deals to be had, you just have to do a bit of research and get the bike checked out. Which is why I mentioned earlier to see if the shop can give the bike a good check to make sure it all good. Even if it cost you a bit of money, it is money well spent.

Not every bike is bought, abused and sold. Lots of times it can be because of:
- alway dreamt of a motorcycle, and had no idea what they were getting into.
- ends up being the wrong bike for them.
- that impulse buy the wife isn't to happy about.
- got laid off, can't afford it now.
- SURPRISE! I am pregnant.
- etc.

Plus there are lot of people who go nuts upgrading stuff and the bike is barely broken in, how familiar is that one, lol.

But seriously, it would be worth getting the dealer to do a thorough check of the bike, even if it cost you little more, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does he own it outright (i.e. pink slip in hand), or is he going to take your cash and make you wait for the title?

The price is right, no doubt about it. I paid $8676 cash for a new matte silver and that was still best deal I could find within 500 miles (SoCal).

Find out what intervals and type of oil he used for the oil changes. If he stutters or says the dealer did them, call the dealer to confirm. People who love motorcycles tend to love them in every aspect and are typically gear heads. We could talk about motor oil all day..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He never crashed the bike, and has title in hand. Reading your guys' responses does make me skeptical. I found a 2014 in orange with 2600 miles, also never dropped. This bike is bone stock and comes with the optional 4 year warranty. The guy already dropped price from 7000 to 6500, he needs money to buy a car. I'm starting to consider getting the 2014 model. I could honestly care less about the akrapovic exhaust on the other bike, and I really dig the orange color. I think i'm leaning towards the 2014 bike. Is 6500 a fair price or you guys think I can get it down even lower. It's a 2 hour drive away from me so trying to find some time this week to take a look.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is some good advice in this thread but also some worry warts.

At 1200 miles, the stock tires will be worn down a noticeable amount. I ran over a nail at 1300 miles, and already had a very large flat spot on the rear tire.
Go with whatever bike looks favorable to you. 2014 and 2015 Fz-09s are identical. Only difference from the factory would be the harness and the reflash.

·
Registered
314 Posts
He never crashed the bike, and has title in hand. Reading your guys' responses does make me skeptical. I found a 2014 in orange with 2600 miles, also never dropped. This bike is bone stock and comes with the optional 4 year warranty. The guy already dropped price from 7000 to 6500, he needs money to buy a car. I'm starting to consider getting the 2014 model. I could honestly care less about the akrapovic exhaust on the other bike, and I really dig the orange color. I think i'm leaning towards the 2014 bike. Is 6500 a fair price or you guys think I can get it down even lower. It's a 2 hour drive away from me so trying to find some time this week to take a look.
Either way is a win win. Both bikes are barely broken in. Whether beaten on or not doesn't matter. Anything that revs above 10k, has probably seen 10k plus RPMs plenty of times. Its what the bike is made of. Bad fork seals? Good for YOU, easily knock another couple hundred off the price.

A little motivation (I'm a bit biased):

1 - 20 of 33 Posts