Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, there are days when I get on this bike and I'm like, "Man, the bike is running great. My shifts are perfect. I love this bike!" and just as many days where I find myself thinking, "The shifting feels clunky today. The bike sounds off. I want a new bike."

Anyone else kind of go up and down with this bike?

I want to be in love with it. I really do.

My other bike is a 2012 Ninja 650, and while it has it's fair share of little things that bug me, it's consistent in all of them, as well as consistent in all of the good things.

I do love my FZ-09. I love the power of it, and the amazing low end torque, but it really feels inconsistent to me.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
check your clutch adjustment - too much lever free play can cause the clutch to not disengage fully and result in awkward shifting. also, what oil are you running?

3000 miles on mine, running rotella t6 - bike shifts consistently great. not quite as silky smooth as the last gsxr i had, but then again no bike shifts like a gsxr.

·
Registered
554 Posts
7800 miles here and the smiles are still there! Also running full synthetic yamaha stuff. Have you set the bike up for you, played with the controls, suspension, etc?

Daniel

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I am all smiles riding my FZ09! It is a blast every time I ride.

I suggest you go through all the ergo adjustments in the following order: adjust brake pedal, adjust shifter, handlebar rotation forward and aft to place the grips where comfortable for you, adjust clutch lever reach and rotation around the handlebar, and adjust brake lever reach and rotation around the handlebar.

Are you always wearing the same gear? Different boots/shoes will change the effective position of the shifter and require more or less ankle movement to complete a shift. Same thing with gloves or no gloves affecting the feel of the levers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am all smiles riding my FZ09! It is a blast every time I ride.

I suggest you go through all the ergo adjustments in the following order: adjust brake pedal, adjust shifter, handlebar rotation forward and aft to place the grips where comfortable for you, adjust clutch lever reach and rotation around the handlebar, and adjust brake lever reach and rotation around the handlebar.

Are you always wearing the same gear? Different boots/shoes will change the effective position of the shifter and require more or less ankle movement to complete a shift. Same thing with gloves or no gloves affecting the feel of the levers.
This is good advice. Often, when the bike IS uber consistent, the rider is introducing some inconsistency without knowing it. After installing Barkbusters, I rode some in my fingerless gel gloves from my cruiser days. Like the feel and coolness, but the gel width and lack of fingers changed my reach and it took some re-development of muscle memory on the timing. Same issue when riding in running shoes because I needed them at my defensive pistol match and couldn't carry them on the bike along with much other gear.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine was occasionally clunky shifting until I got my feet and the shifter where I wanted it. My riding position for spirited riding was to blame though - it could best be described as "climb on top and hold the bitch down". Sitting far forward and having long legs meant that my feet were pointed too far down to adjust the shifter to me - so I bought some FZ6 pegs that have the rubber cushions. This raised my feet up just a little and the shifter and brake feel much more natural when I'm riding hard. If it feels cluncky sometimes then you need to find the pattern. You may be sitting differently, wearing different footwear...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I have adjusted the clutch play, but haven't touched the shifter itself. I've been thinking about doing some aftermarket footpegs. I like these a lot: Footpegs For the bike model Yamaha FZ-09 2014 | Puig

I always wear the same boots and gloves. Always.

Is there a guide or anything as far as adjusting the shifter? I suppose moving it closer to my foot could help.

EDIT: Found a guide! :D I think I'll lower my shifter by a 1/4 of a inch or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems like owners of this new bike are coming out with their dislikes and wishing they had another bike. Is this because it is a new bike that hasn't been upgraded yet or owners realized this bike is overrated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bikes not overrated, people's opinions are just developing as they stack a few thousand miles on them.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not over-rated... been riding for 50 years and nothing else comes close once you get the suspension set for your weight and style. Weight, balance, mpg, position, power, torque, display, accessories... Yamaha designers could mess it up next year but right now, a great ride, IMHO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel the same way with this bike as the OP. I'm hoping the Stoltec flash will make me love this bike all over again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I have adjusted the clutch play, but haven't touched the shifter itself. I've been thinking about doing some aftermarket footpegs. I like these a lot: Footpegs For the bike model Yamaha FZ-09 2014 | Puig

Is there a guide or anything as far as adjusting the shifter? I suppose moving it closer to my foot could help.

Good move, it's amazing how much of a difference a seemingly small adjustment to the shift lever can make.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am totally sensitive about bike setup; it must come from my motocross background. I can totally understand what you are saying. My CBR954RR out of the box was like a precision surgical instrument.

Just like my WR250R, I have spent an enormous amount of time setting this bike up to my liking. It took me five adjustments to get the clutch the way I like it. I had to go with a long lever on the clutch and a shorty on the brake to get the feel I wanted on my digits. I always switch the grips to Pro Grips Superbike Gel (big improvement). I went through two sets of aftermarket handlebars to get the position that I wanted (Renthal street fighter low). I am running Mobil 1 synthetic and the shifting is greatly improved (pretty good for a Yamaha). I replaced the footpegs with FZ06 rubbertop knockoffs that are a tad higher (had to file a tad to get them perfectly centered). I wanted mirrors that I could actually see out of since it has been 10 bikes since I could see behind me, so I got some bolts to extend them some.

Also, I had to have Stainless front brake lines as well as HH pads because I came from a bike with monster front brakes and the FZ felt mushy at the lever. Let's see, fork springs (cartridges awaiting installation and a Penske double clicker. To sum this all up, it has taken me a ton of time and money to get this bike to feel the way that I want it to feel. Never before have I done so much for a motorcycle, but at $8,000, what do I expect? The motor was too good for me to give up on the bike. I simply love the power delivery.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

The best thing for shifter adjustment is to adjust it one way or the the other and then ride a bit to see if that is better or not and so forth. Everyone is different physically so it is hard to place a specific rule about where to put the shifter for a given rider.

I feel the same way with this bike as the OP. I'm hoping the Stoltec flash will make me love this bike all over again.
Have you tried reducing the slack in the throttle cable to about zero? The adjuster is about 6-8" down the throttle cable from the throttle.

Next, zero the throttle position sensor (TPS) as well. The TPS is at the other end of the throttle cables and if there is too much slop between the mechanical closed throttle point and the electrical closed throttle point then that is the same thing as too much slack in the throttle cable as far as twisting the throttle goes.

If you don't remove those two areas of slop, even the best reflash won't remove the throttle slop/jerkiness. Removing the mechanical and electrical slop goes a long way but does not eliminate all of it. The reflash eliminates the software slop in the throttle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It seems like owners of this new bike are coming out with their dislikes and wishing they had another bike. Is this because it is a new bike that hasn't been upgraded yet or owners realized this bike is overrated.
not overrated per se, but the enthusiasm of most who have actually ridden or own the 09 may mislead potential buyers into thinking the bike is perfect. it's not, but the imperfections are fixable. and not everyone is bothered by its flaws to the same degree.

you really just need to ride one to know if it will suit you.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I love my bike. I think the bike is great, not at all overrated. I haven't upgraded the bike at all.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have some days when I feel like I am on it. Once I got my suspension dialed in (mostly) those days are way more common. There are some days when I am not able to ride as hard, or don't feel as good on the bike. But I had those same days on my r6, and my r1, and in the gym...I think more than the bike, it is just me. This is the first bike that I have REALLY made my own. I have had tuned suspension, and some aftermarket parts. But I have not done most of the work myeslf, or done EXACTLY what i want. I love the bike, but part of loving it is realizing its weakpoints and working on them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts