Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm FL so its mostly flat roads. I've had pilot roads 4, pilot powers 3, Dunlop Q3 on sport bikes before but I felt like I never got my moneys worth. Either tires cost to much or wears to fast.

My front still has plenty of life so just going to replace rear. What would be a good tire to pair with it? I need something with a very hard center and soft sides.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everybody I know recommends the Pilot Road 4 for great mileage. The stock Bridgestone S20s I had sucked so stay away from those. The Pilot Power 3s I'm running now have gotten about the same mileage as the S20s but with more grip. Maybe you would like the Pirelli Angel tires. I myself am going with a set of Q3s because I don't mind sacrificing some life for grip.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My OEM sportmax d214 have 3100 miles on them and look like they might just last me till the end of the week. Really didn't want to mix match brands with the Pirelli Angel GT's and I Seen the Q3 on motorycle superstore for only $129 with free 1-3 days shipping so I jumped the gun. Hopefully the Q3 will last the same as my OEM front and then I'll start looking for a sport touring set of tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I put Q3s on the FZ when I brought it home from the dealer with 2 miles on it. The rear lasted about 2700 miles and the front made it to about 5200 miles. I like the Q3s, but 2700 miles on the rear just ain't gonna cut it for me. Living in Florida, I can't imagine a Pilot Road 4 not working out for you. It's a great tire for mileage, yet should give you decent stick in the corner..... if you can Find one in FL. :cool:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Mine is getting ready for replacement and I am a big Bridgestone guy and have S20's on my FZ1 and love them...Bridgestone just started selling the S20 EVO and says harder center with still the side grip and also a good rain tire... Just ordered The S20 EVO from Jake Wilson with free 3 day shipping.... and we shall see how long this lasts ... the S20 will go about 3200~3500 on the FZ1....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I had pr4s on a Versys 650, and got 16500ks out of them, probably had a couple thousand left in them.
I had maybe 10 or 12000ks on the pr4s on my first MT 09 before I broke it.
Both were company bikes, like a company car but heaps more fun. So a lot of super commutard ks on them.
And a few thousand ks of fun, tight twisty fast riding on the MT just because. More than enough grip for the road.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What about the Pilot Road 2s? I don't understand all the hype for the Road 3s and Road 4s vs the 2. Are there that many people that love riding in rain that you need a tire like that? I like the road 2s because they wear just as good, and it's more for dry conditions. They won't leave you stranded in the rain by any means, but you won't be able to cut corners as fast on wet pavement. But then again, why would you want to?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I got a set of Q2 a while ago for $149.99 for the set... but prefer the Q3s too for track days. If no track days, the Angel GT are excellent tires probably like any other S-T tires out there. I went for the Angels since they were a bit cheaper than PR4s.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Running PR4's... holding up well.
About half worn... at 4500mi.
Worth considering. YMMV ;)

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a set of Q2 a while ago for $149.99 for the set... but prefer the Q3s too for track days. If no track days, the Angel GT are excellent tires probably like any other S-T tires out there. I went for the Angels since they were a bit cheaper than PR4s.
Where are you finding deals like that for the entire set?:emmersed:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had the S20s for about 5k miles. Then have the PR4s for more than 6k miles now- you can barely tell it has lasted that long. Seems to have more than a couple thousand more miles in them!
The S20s were pretty good I must say- better than the PR4s around the corners but the PR4s are surely better in the rain- and I ride in the rain a lot. Next tire for me would be Conti trail attack or who knows, the TKCs even- depending on how the summer goes. I think Ari Henning tried some Shinkos and IIRC he was kind of happy with them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^Ditto, just past 6500 miles on my Pilot Road 4 rear tire, (stock front). I'm a little past half way worn, flat spot developing in center. Pretty damn good if you ask me!

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ran a set of PR4's and did not like how greasy the rear was.

It was pretty easy to spin up on acceleration and skid under braking. I do tend to ride pretty hard though.

Recently bought a set of Pilot Road 3's which I think are gonna be the best tires for the bike.

The 4's have hard rubber in the center 20% of the tire. The 3's have a medium compound in the 80% center with soft on the 10% sides.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I ran a set of PR4's and did not like how greasy the rear was.

It was pretty easy to spin up on acceleration and skid under braking. I do tend to ride pretty hard though.

Recently bought a set of Pilot Road 3's which I think are gonna be the best tires for the bike.

The 4's have hard rubber in the center 20% of the tire. The 3's have a medium compound in the 80% center with soft on the 10% sides.
Ran the PR3's on a former bike (FZ6N)... nice tires... liked the way they looked too.
How many more miles are you getting out of the PR3 over the PR4?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ran the PR3's on a former bike (FZ6N)... nice tires... liked the way they looked too.
How many more miles are you getting out of the PR3 over the PR4?
Have not mounted them up yet. Currently running Pilot Power 3's which have great grip but I burn them up pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You have to remember, any sport touring tire is going to spin up pretty easily when you are straight up and down on the bike.... The tire compound is quite hard for longevity and mileage. As far as sliding the rear tire, I almost never use the rear brake.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How quick are you burning up the pp3s?
For what it's worth, I've got about 4000 miles on my set of PP3s currently. I commute about 70% of the time and play 30%. I've got about 500-1000 miles left in them I think. If I don't like these Q3s I'm about to put on to replace them, I'll probably switch back when it comes time to. Great grip and decent life.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts