Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding the bike with the rear zx10 shock and the .90 springs and 10W oil I feel my forks need some little more help.
I really like the new ride, it would be probably perfect on good roads, but the roads are bad up here, like riding a bull sometimes.
I could drop to 7.5W but damping will suffer a lot, it's barely enough at max setting.
Budget won't let me spend on carts for a while...

I want something DIY, I heard good thing racetech gold valves while not knowing exactly what does these part do, there's also ohlin's universal 20mm FPK (not sure of fitment on Fz09).
Maybe there's some other FPK options.

If someone want to share infos I'd appreciate a lot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
that Ohlins kit looks interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. I'm guessing it's this:
Ohlins Fork Piston Kit Universal 20mm - Sport Bike Track Gear

I'm in the same boat as you F-zee. I want to fix up the forks, but not sure which way to go. I got quoted $750 canadian to do Gold valves and springs from a local shop installed. Seems a bit expensive, but I assume they'll get me fully set up as part of it. If I'm dropping that much cash though, I'm tempted to do the Adrianni cartridge and Ohlins shock deal from Italy and have a (possibly?) better setup for not much more.

·
Registered
651 Posts
After riding the bike with the rear zx10 shock and the .90 springs and 10W oil I feel my forks need some little more help.
I really like the new ride, it would be probably perfect on good roads, but the roads are bad up here, like riding a bull sometimes.
I could drop to 7.5W but damping will suffer a lot, it's barely enough at max setting.

I want something DIY, I heard good thing racetech gold valves while not knowing exactly what does these part do, there's also ohlin's universal 20mm FPK (not sure of fitment on Fz09).

Racetech Gold Valves are replacement pistons and tunable shim stacks for the forks.You get pistons that flow damping fluid better than the standard pistons and a set of shims that allow a full range of opening rates and restriction so you can arrive at the best setting for your purpose.Racetech provide a set-up guideline to follow (tends to be on the heavier end of the range.It is advisable to use the next lightest set-up).
You can fit these yourself if you are a competent and careful home mechanic.
There is no external adjustablilty, you have to disassemble the fork to make changes.

I have gold valves in my Bandit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@whiteknight: 750 is not so bad, sadly, Gold valves=around 250$ Cad shipped, over 300 for ohlin's fpk, springs=150 Cad shipped, oil=around 20 Cad,
only 330$ is left for maybe 3 hour job total @ 80$ an hour and their markup on parts...
On a 1 to 10 difficulty scale , changing oil-springs alone is around 5, changing carts maybe 6 and playing in the stock carts a good 7.

@Paul: right now I think spring rate is good, damping could be a little better and high speed comp is bad, if the gold valves gives you better damping while reducing high speed comp it will be enough for me.

Very curious about the Ohlin's FPK, I never heard of it until yesterday, should give an email to STG to get some info.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The listing for the ohlins FPK from SBTG says it comes with 2 stacks - the MT/FZ09 only needs one.
The GP kit is pretty good.
On my new for old insurance replacement MT09, i had a local shop do it for me, swapped springs and stack from old to new, tweaked the stack a bit to stiffen it up, and 5wt oil. Was about $300 Aus.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I just finished a Race Tech install on my fork. I am pleased with the improvement in the rebound, no more front dive when you hammer the front brake and no rabbit hopping around on bumpy corners. Combined with the Penske Double clicker, the Gold valves and the Race Tech .90 springs make a huge difference. The shim stack formula they gave me works very well with 5W Maxima oil. The instructions that come with the set up is confusing, but if you give Terry (their super helpful tech support man) a call, he will get you straightened out. I am still playing with my oil levels to see if I can land that comfortably. The most important thing with the Gold valve install, keep everything very sanitary, no dirt, dust, or grime anywhere internal with the fork.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andreanni's bring the bill to around 750 CAD uninstalled, this could be an interesting if not the best way for whiteknight.

But as said in my OP I just can't spend that much for a while, still trying to absorb the akra/reflash/controller/powdercoat bill + smx6,
right now 250$ is a more realistic spending.

Sure I want full cartridges but do I need it...

·
Registered
657 Posts
that Ohlins kit looks interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. I'm guessing it's this:
Ohlins Fork Piston Kit Universal 20mm - Sport Bike Track Gear

I'm in the same boat as you F-zee. I want to fix up the forks, but not sure which way to go. I got quoted $750 canadian to do Gold valves and springs from a local shop installed. Seems a bit expensive, but I assume they'll get me fully set up as part of it. If I'm dropping that much cash though, I'm tempted to do the Adrianni cartridge and Ohlins shock deal from Italy and have a (possibly?) better setup for not much more.
Where did you get this quoted? I'll have to double check, but I don't think mine cost that much. I did bring my forks in off the bike though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts