Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis weather has me dreaming of our upcoming trip out west. We are picking up V-Stroms in Phoenix, heading up to the Grand Canyon, then up into Utah and Colorado followed by the 4 Corners, down into New Mexico. I made some flyover videos in Google Earth to have something to dream about until we take the trip.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
THis weather has me dreaming of our upcoming trip out west. We are picking up V-Stroms in Phoenix, heading up to the Grand Canyon, then up into Utah and Colorado followed by the 4 Corners, down into New Mexico. I made some flyover videos in Google Earth to have something to dream about until we take the trip.
Now that's the way to cope!
Virtual reality...via Google.
Living the dream.
Sweet!
Enjoy!!!

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds epic!

... I miss riding :sad2:

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
98 Posts
When is your trip, If you go thru Albuquerque make sure you ride to the top of Sandia Crest (10,000+feet in elevation) and you may want to take
north hwy 14 to Madrid (mineshaft tavern) from I-40 a major bike destination here, this hwy 14 also is how you get to the Sandia Crest road lots of
curves.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip on Sandia Crest. I will certainly check it out. We are going to Madrid, and plan on eating at Maggie's. The petrified and painted forest are also on our list.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
that sounds awesome, i rented a Multistrada up in Vermont and it was a blast. Much easier than figuring out how to get your ride out there and a lot of fun to try something different.

I've heard nothing but good things about the new V-Stroms. If you pass by red rocks you should ditch the engine and get some mountain biking in old man!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that we are going to be riding the old V-Stroms, which is fine with me. I have a fair amount of saddle time on my friends and I can spank the corners with it. My wife is going to be on a Ninja 650R, which will be more upright and comfy than her Yamaha R6S. Mountain biking, are you kidding me. Even when I was training for motocross, they bored me to tears. We are going the first part of May. Everything is booked and about 8 of us are going.

Route Map:

overview.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts

Just remember if you do the Apache Trail it will take you right into Tortilla Flats. Most people stop at that point, eat and turn around. I highly recommend continuing for another 10 miles until it turns into dirt. That stretch from Tortilla flats until dirt is a perfect stretch of twisty paradise. Sounds like a blast of ride you have planned.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remember if you do the Apache Trail it will take you right into Tortilla Flats. Most people stop at that point, eat and turn around. I highly recommend continuing for another 10 miles until it turns into dirt. That stretch from Tortilla flats until dirt is a perfect stretch of twisty paradise. Sounds like a blast of ride you have planned.
We are coming the other way down 60 from Sho Low to Globe then up 88 to the Dam. The gravel starts just below the Roosevelt Dam and continues for 23 miles on our way to the Flats. Superstition saloon in Tortilla flats is a must stop for us on our last leg. Google Earth is invaluable for figuring twisty elevated routes out.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip Doug.......take lot of pic and stay safe my friend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts