Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally rode my new FZ-09 for the first time today! My last bike was a 2005 Suzuki Bandit 1200 which had some comparable horsepower numbers to the 09 but not much else, as it turns out. I thought I'd post some first impressions for people like me who were thinking of moving from an older inline 4 standard to the 09.

The motor sounds and feels amazing. I expected that the 3 would feel a lot lumpier than a 4 but not so--way closer to feeling like a 4 than a twin. Since it was cool today and the tires are brand new I didn't push it and only ran in standard mode. The throttle response was smooth--totally predictable.

The riding position is very different from my bandit. The 09 lets you sit up straighter with less pressure on your wrists (hey--this was my 60th birthday grand prize!). Also, no windscreen means even less wrist strain. Sitting up straight was a little weird at first though--I found I had to adjust to a different technique when turning left or right from a stop. When I first started down the road it almost felt like a scooter--until the gas went on. Not a scooter--oh no!

I'm about 160 lbs and since I wasn't pushing it I can't say anything about the suspension. Coming from the 05 bandit it seemed adequate but many others here have already posted good solutions for just about every load and riding situation.

Can't wait to get out again--didn't even scratch the surface. Hoping my next ride won't have to wait until March...

Jim

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome. No doubt you'll learn to love your FZ like the rest of us. Nearly 56 myself, ithe riding position is a blessing.....Not too difficult to pick up some speed either, lol :D

BTW, what color are you riding...???

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Welcome. No doubt you'll learn to love your FZ like the rest of us. Nearly 56 myself, ithe riding position is a blessing.....Not too difficult to pick up some speed either, lol :D

BTW, what color are you riding...???
Steve........you're only 56? I was thinkin the "101" in your screen name was maybe how old you were! Who da' thunk it!

Jem.....welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike. Id say getting to ride it today, in N.Y. was kind of special anyway.....glad you got to enjoy it.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Steve........you're only 56? I was thinkin the "101" in your screen name was maybe how old you were! Who da' thunk it!

Jem.....welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike. Id say getting to ride it today, in N.Y. was kind of special anyway.....glad you got to enjoy it.
Isn't today Christmas...??? How low can you go....???

You know better than me its All down hill after 55.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Oh, I could go much lower, but I'm being nice (my once a year duty.......bah, Humbug). Thank goodness I've only got 3 1/2 hours to go on this "being nice" stuff! :cool:

As far as going downhill after 55, yea, that ride is faster than a speeding Rapid Red FZ09 in "A" mode (the fastest color by the way)

Reactions: Steve101 and MoFZio

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Awesome...glad you got out Jem.
Not surpriFZed you enjoyed the jaunt. Kool.
Nice way to end the year.
Hoping the new year brings opportunity for you and I to ride together.
Merry Christmas, chief!

Stevie...answer...the right color:
FZ-09OnDeliv121814_50pc.jpg

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
56!? With the spunk you got, kid... thought you're 18.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Awesome...glad you got out Jem.
Not surpriFZed you enjoyed the jaunt. Kool.
Nice way to end the year.
Hoping the new year brings opportunity for you and I to ride together.
Merry Christmas, chief!

Stevie...answer...the right color:
View attachment 11776
How in the world did you get that pic of me and my FZ.....???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also crossed over from the bandit 1200. I miss the way higher torque but the weight difference really makes up for it and i really love my FZ.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think this thread has the wrong title. Should be old fart rant! Lol.

Yea Jem you got us all in suspenders about what color you got. Vern is correct about the fastest color.

Hope you get to twist the wick a little more before old man winter puts the kabosh on riding this winter.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Jems comment about wrist strain from windscreens is another good argument against them. Most of us don't think of that. Just one more reason why the FZ feels so nimble. The most I'll do on mine is a fly screen, if anything at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also crossed over from the bandit 1200. I miss the way higher torque but the weight difference really makes up for it and i really love my FZ.
The weight difference was a huge factor for me--that and the wide bars makes it really easy to push into a turn.

Got a little cooler today so no riding for a bit. Soon!

And by the way, the bike is very red!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice! Congrats! I'm 50, but when I am riding this bike I feel like I am 25, lol.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I first started down the road it almost felt like a scooter--until the gas went on. Not a scooter--oh no!

Jim
My daily commuter is a 70cc Zuma, and I felt the same way when I first got on the FZ. What a light, nimble wonderful machine! Congratulations and welcome to the Old Farts Club :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome Jem. I had a Bandit 1200 back in the day(1997). A bit of a porker but a blast just the same. I knew it was fast but when my friend on a Super Blackbird couldn't lose me I realized just how fast. He did pull away after 130 but I was right with him up til then. I love my Liquid Graphite FZ. These guys and their Rapid Reds are overcompensating for something(small body parts, perhaps). I miss my Bandit sometimes but I don't miss the extra 100+ pounds. Wheelie on, dudes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts