Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to GMR for the first time yesterday. The weather was awesome. There were a lot more tight turns than I expected. I rode most of the ride in 2nd gear. It's tough not to let off the throttle completely, and was focusing on throttle control. I think I just need more practice there. Not being familiar with the road, I took it a little slow- there's lots of blind curves, and there was some dirt on the road from last week's rain. I was going especially slow when another bike came up behind me and I slowed and signaled for him to pass. I planned to follow him but he was too fast. When I'm going fast and tuck down, my chest is near the handlebars and so my hands are pretty close to my shoulders- not out in front like is more comfortable. I have stock handlebars. Is it possible to learn good control in this position with hands so close to shoulders? Also, part of the two way road doesn't have a middle line and some idiots in cars were going around a blind turn, and had swung wide to get a better angle- I was coming out of the turn. They left me about 4-5 feet between their cars and the side of the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What works for me is the riding position. Coming off a CBR954RR these are two different riding positions, however I believe you can get (and have) the same lean angle of either Moto. On the FZ I find myself still upright with a slight forward tilt, not tucked at all. GMR is a great run and yes, Cars, dirt and bicycles can ruin your day real quick if you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I rode GMR on Sat....Wow, what a road. The blind corners are not to be taken for granted. I mostly rode in 2nd gear in B mode for maximum smoothness. I will be back soon. I also took Azusa Canyon Road to the top....a much safer ride and a satisfying fix for those wanting mountain twisties. I think GMR and Azusa Canyon Road are better than the Ortega Hwy. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree, GMR/GRR is a fun road. It's very tight so it keeps the speeds reasonable. Parts of it are single lane road so you have to look far ahead for cars. Lots of cyclists on the weekends. At night it's fun too because you can see the cars further away because of the headlights. I've been there at night and didn't see one car.
Another fun road in the Inland Empire take the 15fwy to HWY 138 to Silverwood Lake up to Cresline and down HWY 18 into San Bernardino. S.B. sucks but you just get on the 210 and get out of town.
A big loop I've done from Redlands CA is up HWY 38 to Big Bear, across HWY 18 to Crestline, down the 138 all the way to the start of HWY 2 near Wrightwood over to Pasadena and back on the 210 fwy. The freeway home was no fun. Othewise a good ride.
Now that it's cooling off, be careful in the mountains.

Thanks
-Shannon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts