Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,. . .How much weight can the mounting points on our bike handle?

So I put a Givi rack on my FZ09. Looks pretty good for $100. One thing that worries me is on the side of the rack it says the max weight of the rack is 6kg or 13lbs. I was hoping to be able to carry heavier loads than that--my topcase alone is 10lbs. Is the weight limit a suggestion for optimum handling? Or will the drilled mounting points fail if the weight is exceeded? Hoping some of you fellow riders out there with topcase racks can chime in with how much you've been able to load on your mounting system. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have the OEM rack and it outs 5kgs as the weight limit while my Coocase topcase has a 10kgs load limit. I am sure I have carried more on my numerous trips but nothing overly drastic. I have been fine so far and I regularly take out the rack if I am doing solo riding or on non-errandy days. The 4 bolts for the rack seems solid and I have not seen any sign of bending or any other wear. Don't know if that helps...

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's like those U-Haul trailers that have "55 MPH Limit" painted on the fenders. Givi can only warrant the rack up to the limit specified. With that said, I have put as much as 50 lbs on a Givi rack when i did a 1200 mile touring trip some years back that had a 10 Kg limit sticker on it. Heck, even had one of the Givi top case racks top loaded down and about 3 feet up in the air with camping supplies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts