Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Does anyone have the Giles tooling chain adjuster blocks? Chain adjustment is easy but getting the axle aligned is a different story.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What is the problem with the adjusters?
the stock blocks are made of a lower grade aluminum that can get deformed, particularly on the left block where the sharp edges of the axle 'bite' into it. but the main advantage of the gilles adjustment blocks is that their position is independent of axle tightness. the stock blocks are free to move (and thus affect chain slack) until the axle nut is tightened down. the gilles blocks stay put even if the axle is loose.

the disadvantage of the gilles adjusters is that to move the blocks requires you to use their special tool to turn the threaded bolt, so it's a slower process if you need to make large position changes (such as to move them all the way forwards to remove the wheel). with the stock blocks, you loosen the axle nut and just move the wheel to wherever you want.

the yamaha site shows the adjusters a bit more clearly:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fz-09-chain-adjusters-by-gilles-tooling?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2014|44

neither adjuster has any advantage over the other when it comes to wheel alignment, although the gilles comes with alignment 'stickers' so if you measure things out beforehand, you can position the stickers to reflect accurate alignment.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Thanks bw. Very concise explanation.
I was blown away seeing some of the picts of deformed adjuster blocks and then I took a look at mine and see that despite
being careful, I do have a slight bulge on the left block. I have better things to spend my money on, but I can see where the gilles
product could be a must have for many. Sexy cool. The bit about the alignment strips is a nice feature. I'm going to look for
something that will serve the same purpose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just great site. Thank you bobby walnuts.

Gilles tooling accesories are the best but these products are not cheap. High quality!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts