Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to do it already. I bought the Harley last year. I have put maybe 10 miles on it. You have read that correctly. I really dislike it that much. I love the FZ-09. Huge fan. Best bike ever created as far as I'm concerned.

I'm thinking something small since I'm 120 lbs and want to be able to lift it.

(1) Ninja 300- something sport bike like that's not an R6 or a GSXR-600 which in my head I would love, but really dumb at this point in my riding career (under 1000 miles)

(2) GSX-1250FA but the insurance might be too high and it's a heavy bike. I like the touring stuff that comes on it.

(3) Another Honda Shadow like the one I got my husband, that bike doesn't bother me like the Harley does

(4) A smaller Harley at some point without all the chrome, like an 883 Iron

Can you imagine trading a 1200cc Harley for a 300cc Ninja?!? It could soon be a reality. I'm going to ride it again one of these days to make sure, but my gut feeling is to get rid of a bike that makes me uncomfortable and that can wake the dead which is obnoxious to anyone living near me or within hearing distance of the bike.

What do you guys think? Ugh. I just hope I don't regret this.

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The Kawi would be a perfect choice.
agreed - a few months of riding that would probably ease some of your anxiety riding the FZ09 - just remember when you switch back to take it easy on the throttle!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It sounds like you still really don't know what you want for a stablemate still so, Id go try as many bikes as you can. And try things that you wouldn't normally ride.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes...ditch the Harley for sure.
Jen...at this point in your riding career...you should get a small displacement bike like a ninja 300 and learn to ride it well. That will make you much more capable on the FZ.

You can always jump up to a heavier bike later...but you are still learning...learn good habits

·
Registered
957 Posts
Based on your current skill level and how relatively narrow your "comfort zone" is, the Ninja 300 is really the only logical choice of the ones presented. The GSX1250FA is simply too much bike for you right now. And cruisers simply don't present an adequate learning platform because of how they allow you to get away with bad technique/bad riding habits. Your next bike should be something you use as your primarily learning platform, for practicing proper riding technique. The 09 doesn't really allow you to do this considering how wear you are of the throttle, and a cruiser just lets you get away with being sloppy in your technique. You want something that lets you know when you're doing something wrong without necessarily punishing you for it. The 300 is pretty much _the_ bike for you right now.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not intimidated at all by the FZ-09 (riding it in B mode), which is probably more of a problem!! I'm intimidated by the Harley. I had a great experience with Romney Cycles and am likely going to get the Kawi there.

Yesterday was my last day of school. I can either have a bike in the garage that I don't ride, or I can get something that I will ride. I have nothing much to do until September, so this leaves a lot of time for riding.

(To anyone still deciding on a career, I was a lawyer in NYC before I met my husband and made the best decision of my life- marrying him, of course, but regarding career choice, giving up law and becoming a physics teacher....go into teaching!!)

Reactions: Brvt1000 and MoFZio

·
Registered
48 Posts
My basic opinion as I ride both, would be to stop thinking about new bikes and just get out there and ride the one you have... Learn what you don't like about it so that when you finally do go in to purchase another you have an educated opinion rather than a 10 mile comparison. The more riding you do the more relaxed you will be! ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Get a Yamaha Bolt!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm not intimidated at all by the FZ-09 (riding it in B mode), which is probably more of a problem!! I'm intimidated by the Harley. I had a great experience with Romney Cycles and am likely going to get the Kawi there.

Yesterday was my last day of school. I can either have a bike in the garage that I don't ride, or I can get something that I will ride. I have nothing much to do until September, so this leaves a lot of time for riding.

(To anyone still deciding on a career, I was a lawyer in NYC before I met my husband and made the best decision of my life- marrying him, of course, but regarding career choice, giving up law and becoming a physics teacher....go into teaching!!)
If you're not afraid then you should keep practicing proper technique on it. That can mean getting more generous with throttle application as well.

Ultimately, getting a bike you feel comfortable about thrashing around and more or less abusing (because it's not intimidating to you to push it close to its limits) is going to help your technique improve in ways you probably can't account for yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sv650? I was thinking about one for myself because I want to get more comfortable with leaning hard into corners without worrying about hurting my #65 fz ... They are cheap and to my knowledge, somewhat similar.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I was looking at the SV650 when looking for the FZ-09. The new gladius is around the same price as the FZ-09 and is nowhere near the bike that the FZ is. The used ones are pretty good. I'm looking for something underpowered to ride around on for the season, something light that I can move again. I can't even move the FZ out of the garage, it's kind of ridiculous. My husband gets the thing out of the garage. I would like something that looks like a sport bike with the fairings that isn't a "real" sport bike like a 600 or liter bike. The Ninja 300 and 650 are close enough. The 300 should be enough for now.

The Bolt feels even heavier than my Sportster, I can barely get it off of the side stand.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I would like something that looks like a sport bike with the fairings that isn't a "real" sport bike like a 600 or liter bike. The Ninja 300 and 650 are close enough. The 300 should be enough for now.
Jen, you might consider a Honda CBR250R. This model is discontinued so you should be able to buy it deeply discounted but still new, or used with very low miles. I suspect after a year you will be ready to sell the CBR250R; you might be able to minimize the difference between your purchase price now and sale price in a year.

The CBR250R fits your description of "looks like a sport bike with the fairings that isn't a "real" sport bike like a 600 or liter bike." With only 23 hp, it will reveal just about every gear selection and throttle position error (there's a good reason I know this... :)) and has enough low-end torque (not unlike the FZ-09) for you to adjust and continue.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jen, you might consider a Honda CBR250R. This model is discontinued so you should be able to buy it deeply discounted but still new, or used with very low miles. I suspect after a year you will be ready to sell the CBR250R; you might be able to minimize the difference between your purchase price now and sale price in a year.

The CBR250R fits your description of "looks like a sport bike with the fairings that isn't a "real" sport bike like a 600 or liter bike." With only 23 hp, it will reveal just about every gear selection and throttle position error (there's a good reason I know this... :)) and has enough low-end torque (not unlike the FZ-09) for you to adjust and continue.
I agree with redeye. get a CBR250r on Craigslist - Ride the crap out of it (get use to the handling and power) and then resell it back on Craigslist after a year. They don't depreciate that much and the resell value is still really good. Ride on the Cheap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree with the kawi 300 or the 250r advice. You might not feel intimidated by the FZ but the fact that you are staying under 4000rpm means you really are not able to enjoy its potential. You would have far more fun on a smaller bike and develop as a rider.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yep, Ninja 300 or CBR250R are both great choices. You want a bike you can build your confidence on, one that you can feel completely in control of and explore the finer points of steering, braking and shifting.

DO IT, you'll have a blast!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd suggest a small dual-sport, you will learn things that can save your bacon on the street. There are tons of dirt and gravel roads in the PA state forests, I think your close to Michaux? XT250 would fit the bill as they're relatively short.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts