Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having a problem with the front coming up. i dont ride aggressive all the time but 1st and 2nd have no control of the front. Bike is very unpredictable and actually getting tired of waiting for its response so i can than do mine.

WOT i cannot do in first 2 gears no matter what. I spend more time expecting something and ready to react than riding. Cannot get full speed having to let off or shift early to see what bike will actually do.

Im 6' 4" 230 or so dont want so spend an extra $2000 on bike to make it capable of what it can do and dont know if this can even be fixed with upgrades. With all the suspension mods everyone is doing does it even help to get more speed from bike thru the gears? Shifting early or half trottle to me is not a solution just a way to not see its power.

Is the bike just to light in the front for the power or is the suspension to light for the power? For example easing throttle full open 5 or 6k rpm have to either ease off or change gears. Going into second feels like have to ease off clutch more to keep bike under control. Once in 3rd have tested the waters had to double clutch to get front up, but cannot predict first 2 gears at all.

If any can keep bike WOT thru the gears please give me an explanation on what u have done to bike. I will spend money on bike to make better if needed but i dont want to spend money for a problem that might not be able to get fixed either. I bought a 100hp bike not to use the power all the time but when im ready i want the bike ready also. Any proven results will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What do you expect going full throttle in 1st and 2nd? Learn how to modulate your throttle input and it'll be a much more enjoyable ride. No matter what bike, if it's a sport bike, you have to control your right hand in the lower gears. A change in rear shock is after you learn how to ride! Don't bother changing anything until that time because it'll be pointless.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Like Marthy said getting the rear suspension taken care of will reduce "squat" during WOT and that lessens wheelishness. Taking care of the forks will make them less bouncy and help too. Having the ECU flashed will help you get just the amount of throttle you want. Do you lean forward to WOT? that helps a lot.

My riding weight is just 170, my theory is that all else being equal a lighter rider doesn't raise the center of gravity as much and that helps keep the front down, but maybe that's wrong. Also means less to lift lol.

With my stock 09 if I put my head between the mirrors I can WOT fairly well in 2nd, just backing off a bit as needed to let the floater come down. YMMV.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dude! I hope you are kidding, what a fun problem to have!

Seriously tho, a decent rear shock does help, and you don't need to spend big bucks either. Several on here have bought ebay shocks for cheap, add to that proper springs front and rear and it will be a different bike! I am about the same weight as you. I considered this bike borderline unsafe for spirited riding at our size. The shock will just collapse under acceleration assisting the weight transfer. The forks will bottom out under braking. Do the econo upgrades and you will be much happier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
buy a cbr125.

I rode a co-workers 125 and was WOT in all gear. ZERO wheelies:grin:.

but seriously, do what the others have said, or go to a slower bike. You cannot ride this thing ham fisted.
the lack of tc, abs etc... makes it so.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
simple question a friend has a busa which has massive power and the bike will let u use it whenever. Handles power good nothing unpredictable when on the trottle that him saying not me never road it. That was my question what does it take to fix or is bike just not set up for the hp it makes. I dont mind going fast just feel like im losing some of the rush when i got to baby it. Playing with the throttle is babying it and i want to know if there is a solution.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I haven't experienced any of the problems that you are experiencing and I'm 120 lbs, so you have the weight in your favor to hold the front down. It didn't feel like it would wheelie for a second, something I was worried about since I'm not wheelie happy. Why do you need to go WOT? That may be the issue. The bike will do what you want it to do. If you don't ride it crazy, it will act like a normal bike, not a super high performance machine. If you get on it, it is going to move, but nobody is saying you need to do that all the time. Good luck. The bike is awesome. I'm sure you will find a solution. I would think backing off the throttle would help.

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09

·
Registered
225 Posts
simple question a friend has a busa which has massive power and the bike will let u use it whenever. Handles power good nothing unpredictable when on the trottle that him saying not me never road it. That was my question what does it take to fix or is bike just not set up for the hp it makes. I dont mind going fast just feel like im losing some of the rush when i got to baby it. Playing with the throttle is babying it and i want to know if there is a solution.
I promise you I can wheelie his 'busa. That said, the 09 is not a SS or drag bike, it is built as a hooligan style bike and will likely always wheelie easier. The soft springs and ultra budget dampening make this bike difficult for a 230lb person to ride aggressively. I noticed that the front was better planted with the new shock, however it can still easily wheelie, just more controlled. I'm no racer, but I feel like the 09 accelerates plenty hard with the front wheel 10" off the ground. Hard enough that that you had better be holding on pretty good.

Reactions: redrider

·
Registered
151 Posts
The answer is in your right hand grasshopper!
My suggestions, Try: Ride in B Mode
Raise the forks in the triple clamps
soften pre-load in shock
Ride a gear high

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rear shock upgrade will improve this a lot. The 09 is still a wheely machine but its much more predictable with the bike set up right.

Few good options out there for different budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yep, he may be too big for the stock adjustments:
Preload (Spring tension, based on your weight)
Damping (speed the spring squashes and returns to normal )
Compression (advanced damping control, speed the spring squashes)
Rebound (advanced damping control, speed the spring returns to normal after been squashed)

Also, try reducing the throttle free-play for better control.

Sounds like you want to be a stunt rider . . . If you have a family . . . Please buy extra life insurance . . . and long term health care etc.

Maybe you should try higher gearing too (larger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
No cure for your problem in first or second gear. Wrong bike for what you are trying NOT to achieve. I don't really gun any bike in first gear. Power wheelies just a foot or two off the ground going through second, third and fourth make me grin like a fourteen year old boy in a whore house.

·
Registered
962 Posts
"If any can keep bike WOT thru the gears please give me an explanation on what u have done to bike."

You need to practice hard accelerations. I can leap it from a standing start and not spin the tire, raise the front end, o back off on the gas. I'm also 6'4", but 235lbs. I sit further forward than most people, and I lean forward when accelerating hard. It's the same thing as riding it through a corner - you need to learn how much it can handle. Either that, or disconnect a sparkplug or two.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think the question becomes: what bike are you coming from? Very few modern bikes will endure WOT in the first two gears without becoming unsettled. :confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep having a problem with the front coming up. i dont ride aggressive all the time but 1st and 2nd have no control of the front. Bike is very unpredictable and actually getting tired of waiting for its response so i can than do mine.
Do what the rapper squids do on sport bikes, get a longer swing arm on the FZ9.

:)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts