Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem only occurs while up shifting from 2nd to 3rd 3rd to 4th and sometimes for 4th to 5th. What I've noticed is it only does it when I shift up under 5000 RPM, but if I drive the motorcycle aggressively it doesn't have a problem. Another thing is it will upshift if I'm in third and I move the lever up as if you're trying to find neutral then upshift it will work. Bike has 11k miles Gp shifting using Mobil 1 10w-40 full synthetic since new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Loosen up the adjusters on the shift lever, lower it 1/4" and see if that changes anything on the next ride. Lot of riders find that the factory height of the shift lever is too high and they can't really get a good solid upshift based on their boots and how much their ankle normally rotates. Not just on FZ09's, on a lot of bikes. Try it, if it doesn't help, you can put it back, no harm/no foul.

Also, how much slack/play is in your clutch cable at the lever mount? If it's a bit much, maybe you're right on the edge of the clutch not fully disengaging? That would contribute to a bit of a shift issue too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What is Gp shifting? Clutch less? I'm thinking syncro damage or the dogs worn or the shifting forks are bent/damaged. When you use your machine as a disposable item, it will soon be disposed of.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What is Gp shifting? Clutch less? I'm thinking syncro damage or the dogs worn or the shifting forks are bent/damaged. When you use your machine as a disposable item, it will soon be disposed of.

Ride Safe
GP shifting is switching the shift pattern upside down to 1 up, 5 down. It is called GP shifting because GP bikes have their shift pattern 1 up 5 down so they can upshift in the middle of a left hand turn when the bike is all the way over and there would be no way to get a toe under the shifter pull it up to shift up.

I second the suggestion of adjusting the shifter up or down to see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
When you use your machine as a disposable item, it will soon be disposed of.

Ride Safe
I'm predicting an abundance of used parts for the FZ-09 line of bikes in the future.

·
Registered
857 Posts
GP shifting is switching the shift pattern upside down to 1 up, 5 down. It is called GP shifting because GP bikes have their shift pattern 1 up 5 down so they can upshift in the middle of a left hand turn when the bike is all the way over and there would be no way to get a toe under the shifter pull it up to shift up.

I second the suggestion of adjusting the shifter up or down to see if it helps.
I'm familiar with the GP shift "PATTERN", I questioned the term GP shifting, I'm thinking he is loading the lever and wacking it in. Your mileage will vary.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
420 Posts
The first thing I did to my bike was to adjust the shifter so I could catch the next gear. There wasn't enough room to allow the shifter lever to return. Probably not the problem if it shows up after 11k mikes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would like to read Ricooo6's follow up on this matter, hopefully it was just an adjustment.

Ride Safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts