Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one going to lower the gearing ? Minor change in spunk but may get the milage into the mid 50s
I lowered it on fz6r , that worked well
But then you may only get the front up in 2 gears but mid 50 would be great

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try just driving in B mode, and shift earlier. Unless you're already cruising in 6th gear - you won't get any better mpg by changing your gearing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What rpms r these turning at 70 I havent even started mine yet . Maybe next week it may get to 30

·
Registered
768 Posts
As reported in another thread, I was asked by my dealership's owner to run a little experiment for Yamaha and see what each mode would return, mpg-wise, over a similar ride by the same rider (me) in "real world" conditions.
I did 100 miles exclusively in A,B & Standard modes. Here's what i saw:
A mode: 100.6 miles on 2.237 gallons = 44.97mpg
B mode: 100.5 miles on 2.049 gallons = 49.05 mpg
Standard Mode:100.1 miles on 2.050 gallons = 48.83 mpg
Note> I rode A mode with the attention it deserves and didn't baby it.
80-85% of the rides were done out on mostly 2-lane roads with the remainder getting through town on surface streets and short stints on expressways. The fuel used was Chevron 93 octane E-10 in weather between 65-75F for B & Standard and 55F-60F in A mode.
I did separate 63 miles in a mix of mostly A mode with a couple of Standard mode miles - all in town / stop and go.
That bit returned just 37.74mpg. Oops.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best on the 6r was 54 mosty 50 averaged but it's 50lbs fatter and spun faster

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was actually going to ask if anyone went the OTHER way with gearing, for even easier wheel lift! That might be overkill, but just interested. May have to put a stunt/skid plate on the tail...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Gearing is quite spot on IMO. Cruising is light year ahead of the 6R in the smoothness department. No annoying vibration, smooth torquy engine and to be honest with you even the airflow without screen is better than the 6R with my Puig Touring screen. I took the plunge with the Puig screen I got because I ant to hide the back of the gauge but I'm afraid that it will cause helmet noise.

Can't wait for you to ride that beast!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gearing is quite spot on IMO. Cruising is light year ahead of the 6R in the smoothness department. No annoying vibration, smooth torquy engine and to be honest with you even the airflow without screen is better than the 6R with my Puig Touring screen. I took the plunge with the Puig screen I got because I ant to hide the back of the gauge but I'm afraid that it will cause helmet noise.

Can't wait for you to ride that beast!
I agree, the gearing seems just about perfect. I would never go tighter, first gear is a handful now, in A Mode.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Based on the bandit I had, putting a 40T rear sprocket on the back instead of the stock 43T did wonders. It was so torquey, I was always rowing thru the gears, with the 40T I could use the gearbox instead of shifting to top. Mileage went from 47mpg to 49mpg for my regular commute to work, tested over many fill-ups. I was skeptical too, but it did get better mileage. Still did power wheelies too.

If you do change the gearing you have to recalculate the way you figure the MPG as your miles will be off. Miles / Gallons * old ratio / new ratio

I was thinking +1T on the front and -1T on the back. That way the chain length should be about the same.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Based on the bandit I had, putting a 40T rear sprocket on the back instead of the stock 43T did wonders. It was so torquey, I was always rowing thru the gears, with the 40T I could use the gearbox instead of shifting to top. Mileage went from 47mpg to 49mpg for my regular commute to work, tested over many fill-ups. I was skeptical too, but it did get better mileage. Still did power wheelies too.

If you do change the gearing you have to recalculate the way you figure the MPG as your miles will be off. Miles / Gallons * old ratio / new ratio

I was thinking +1T on the front and -1T on the back. That way the chain length should be about the same.

If you regear it's best to use a speedohealer to correct your speedometer. Of course - it will mean that your odometer will be off. Currently the odometer is precise, but the speedometer reads 6 to 7 percent optimistic. I normally opt to get the odometer correct and deal with the optimistic speedometer...

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you regear it's best to use a speedohealer to correct your speedometer. Of course - it will mean that your odometer will be off. Currently the odometer is precise, but the speedometer reads 6 to 7 percent optimistic. I normally opt to get the odometer correct and deal with the optimistic speedometer...
I heard reports that the speedo has better accuracy than 6-7%.
Some said spot on. I dont know the answer to this, although.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Fit a cycle computer from a bicycle shop.Can't be beaten for precision and extra functions

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
No space to add a tooth on the contershaft. You would have to remove or cutaway the stock rubber chain guard as it is only about 1/8" from the stock 16 tooth countershaft.

I just installed a 43 tooth rear sprocket but have not ridden it yet.

Reactions: XRRRX

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used an iPhone gps app, speedo was only 1 mph off while doing a constant speed.

Randy

·
Registered
962 Posts
I heard reports that the speedo has better accuracy than 6-7%.
Some said spot on. I dont know the answer to this, although.
I checked it using a GPS, but it was look at the road, look at the gps, look at the road, look at the speedo, look at the road. I was trying to hold it at 70 on the speedo - and the gps was reading 74.4. If I had a speedohealer already on it then it would be easy. Run it up as high as you're comfortable with and then check the max speed on each...

·
Registered
56 Posts
No space to add a tooth on the contershaft. You would have to remove or cutaway the stock rubber chain guard as it is only about 1/8" from the stock 16 tooth countershaft.

Good to know about the counter shaft sprocket, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is that rubber chain guard / guide around the front sprocket a Yamaha thing? I have not seen it on any other bikes.
Let us know how the gearing change goes - if the snow ever melts in your area

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Were did you get it from is it listed fot the bike or a diff modle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts