Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an MT-09 from my local dealership. So far, even respecting the recommended break-in procedure, the bike is amazing and everything I wanted.

I noticed when shifting to 6th to cruise, I can only assume the gearbox makes a very loud high-pitched whine that goes away around 65mph. I know there are a lot of threads out there on this but I want to make sure what I'm hearing is what I've been reading about. For what it's worth, I don't seem to have the 3rd gear noise that a lot of people have commented on.

If I shift into 6th at or below 60mph (96kph), or 4K RPM, I get the most horrendous, loud, high-pitched whine I've ever heard from a motorized device. Easily drowns out the wind and exhaust note at that speed. I thought my old Boulevard's shaft drive got loud at times but the MT-09 raises the bar. It sounds a lot like an old car I had which had a completely ruined ring/pinion. Aside from the sound, there is zero evidence of a mechanical problem. The gearbox works phenomenally otherwise.

The dealer said I should not be shifting into 6th at that speed and sure enough, if I stay in 5th at those speeds the sound does not appear. It's a little counter-intuitive for me because the bike does seem to have the torque to cruise at those speeds in 6th; even with my large size. In fairness, I'm not used to having a 10K+RPM redline. I'm joining you from the world of two cylinder cruisers.

If the bike characteristically whines in 6th then so be it. Every bike has some quirks. I just want to make sure something isn't wrong with my new toy.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes, 6th whines normally. It has straight gear cuts, as 1 - 5 are slanted.

Hence the noise in 6th, your good

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
580 Posts
How tight is the chain? Measure the slack by the exhaust box (mid span).

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
It gets better over time. Maybe the gears get to know each other better or you just stop noticing.
How about a little information about yourself. Stuff like riding experience and some idea of your location.
A few pictures add a nice touch to your introduction.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
274 Posts
This was the case for me too.
I think 3rd and 6th whined. It was loudest when new. Now over 3k miles I don’t even notice it. I hear the cam chain more than the whine now at low rpm acceleration.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I shift into 6th at or below 60mph (96kph), or 4K RPM, I get the most horrendous, loud, high-pitched whine I've ever heard from a motorized device.

The dealer said I should not be shifting into 6th at that speed and sure enough, if I stay in 5th at those speeds the sound does not appear. It's a little counter-intuitive for me because the bike does seem to have the torque to cruise at those speeds in 6th; even with my large size. In fairness, I'm not used to having a 10K+RPM redline. I'm joining you from the world of two
The CP3 is a sporty motor that loves to rev, I find it happiest at or above 5k rpm. I usually don't use 6th gear unless I am on the highway and then not until I am above 70 mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It gets better over time. Maybe the gears get to know each other better or you just stop noticing.
How about a little information about yourself. Stuff like riding experience and some idea of your location.
A few pictures add a nice touch to your introduction.
My Introduction

Quit worrying and start riding...
I think you summed it up the best. Sounds like it's just something I need to get used to.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Check the chain slack. Too tight of a chain loads up the final drive bearing and makes for a lot of "gear noise". The tension (slack) from the factory is wrong... this has been a discussion item from day 1.
Turn on your ad blocker and check this out
use the blue next button to move from slide to slide. There is only 3
P.S. All the gears are straight cut. Helical cut gears put thrust on the gear shaft, which it is not set up to absorb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts