Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
it's most easy way, but much more interesting fing out what is wrong and fix it,
aspesialy if you see what every day it working normaly but only few first minets of riding

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I got bored the other day and decided to dissect the failed NPS. I removed the rubber coating on the back side of the sensor to find three failed solder connections. I guess it was only a matter of time before I lost another gear.
My '14 model is doing this in 6th gear. Do you reckon the dry solder joints you found could be repaired?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The failed joints could be either cold joints or improperly cleaned joints. Cold solder joints just need to be re-heated to melt the solder and allow to cool without anything moving. Improperly cleaned joints should have the solder removed and re-soldered using a flux compound to do the cleaning as you re-solder.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Sorry - Been absent from here for a while. It could be possible to re-solder the wire on the back of the sensor. The challenge is getting the resin/rtv-type sealant off the back of the sensor, enough to be able to solder the connections.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine is bad in 6th gear. Used to just flash, now it doesnt come on at all. Hasnt bothered me too much, but I'll eventually get around to replacing the sensor.

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally got around to dissecting one of these. The issue is in fact cold soldered joints coming loose from vibrations. Pretty easy fix, just remove the potting, re-solder the wires and fill it back up with RTV silicone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured out why the transmission number display fails. The Japanese have forgotten how to solder. Inside the sensor, the wires must be soldered to the pads. Instead, there's a piece of shit. How to fix? Remove the sealant on the sensor, take a soldering iron and solder every wire in its place. After that, fill the sensor with sealant, put in place and then wind the road on the wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I figured out why the transmission number display fails. The Japanese have forgotten how to solder. Inside the sensor, the wires must be soldered to the pads. Instead, there's a piece of shit. How to fix? Remove the sealant on the sensor, take a soldering iron and solder every wire in its place. After that, fill the sensor with sealant, put in place and then wind the road on the wheels.
It's not the Japanese but the Chinese who never knew how to solder in the first place.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Someone can correct me, but I believe it goes by the same description as the neutral switch.
1RC-82540-00-00

Here is a picture of the location, and the part number:

·
Registered
541 Posts
On my last MT I found on one ride that the gear position numbers were not showing up on the display panel. Quite disturbing in heavy traffic, but next time out all was well. Help from this Forum was forthcoming that the solution - had it persisted - is simply to access the part shown on post #72 above by removing the front chain sprocket, and the part is found behind it. Suggestion was to simply rub over the face (as above) of the part with some not-too-aggressive wet-and-dry or emery paper to clean-up the surfaces, and all will be well. I didn't do this as the problem only occurred once, but I report the info here for general guidance: it may save having to buy a new part.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
On my last MT I found on one ride that the gear position numbers were not showing up on the display panel. Quite disturbing in heavy traffic, but next time out all was well. Help from this Forum was forthcoming that the solution - had it persisted - is simply to access the part shown on post #72 above by removing the front chain sprocket, and the part is found behind it. Suggestion was to simply rub over the face (as above) of the part with some not-too-aggressive wet-and-dry or emery paper to clean-up the surfaces, and all will be well. I didn't do this as the problem only occurred once, but I report the info here for general guidance: it may save having to buy a new part.
The sand paper or the like did not help mine on not showing 6th gear ! jfyi

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The sixth gear sensor went out on mine a couple of years ago. No problem though, if I see a blank I know I'm in sixth, not fifth.

Reactions: abe57

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The sixth gear sensor went out on mine a couple of years ago. No problem though, if I see a blank I know I'm in sixth, not fifth.
How do you know you’re not in 7th?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts