Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So I got bored the other day and decided to dissect the failed NPS. I removed the rubber coating on the back side of the sensor to find three failed solder connections. I guess it was only a matter of time before I lost another gear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the exact same problem, only for me it was Sixth gear. At first it would disappear intermittently, but at the end 6th gear indicator just didn't exist.
I replaced the Gear Position Sensor, and new it's working like brand new.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the exact same problem, only for me it was Sixth gear. At first it would disappear intermittently, but at the end 6th gear indicator just didn't exist.
I replaced the Gear Position Sensor, and new it's working like brand new.

Thanks for the info!
I was having the problem in 6th gear as well. I just cleaned the sensor and put it back together. Problem solved.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I was having the problem in 6th gear as well. I just cleaned the sensor and put it back together. Problem solved.
MikeR - For me that was not a permanent solution. It worked for a bit but I think that was a coincidence as the failure was not on the face of the sensor but failed solder on back side of the sensor under the silicone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started getting the same problem in 6th gear. I took the sensor out and cleaned it. 2 days later the issue is back less often but 6th gear already flickered... going to order a replacement as it looks like wear and tear on the sensor.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Anyone else showing a little engine oil on the sensor once you take it apart? Normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey guys. I'm wondering if you need to remove the tank to replace the sensor. The connector is right there and it seems it is mounted there. Not a lot of room to unplug it.... To be honest I've been at it few times and can't unplug it... Loosing my mind here...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey guys. I'm wondering if you need to remove the tank to replace the sensor. The connector is right there and it seems it is mounted there. Not a lot of room to unplug it.... To be honest I've been at it few times and can't unplug it... Loosing my mind here...

I managed to get the connector disconnected!!! Yay! I managed to get the connector off the bracket first giving me more room to disconnect it. Switch is re pl laced and 6th gear no longer fkashes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine to has been acting up, about 400 miles ago wipe down seem to fix it, then this past weekend it started doing it again, tried cleaning it, even "restoring" it. Still flashes. Maybe the solder is bad under the resin.. Time to hit the stealership for warranty fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hello everyone, i had a problem\
my dashbord do not show when i get on 1, 4 and 5 gears, can i clean something or i need to buy some sensors ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
yesterday I unscrewed the sensor gear. I looked at him, a little rubbed, by the way where I twisted it a little oil, then screw back, for a while began to show all the gears but after a few miles they came back, it seemed to me that some of the circles on the sensor have wear and tear and therefore, the contact disappears and the selected gear is not displayed

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
New sensor?

·
Registered
514 Posts
1. Did my number ever disappear from the window if i statically shifted it? No.
a. If the contacts still lit up the indicator, no need to clean contacts.

2. Will my light pop on I move the shifter again? Yes.
a. How loose is my pin to drum hole? Elongation present?

3. Contact housing plate loose in the switch body? ????
a. Well?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Replacing the sensor solved my problems. No issue since I installed the new one just over a year and a half ago.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts