Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Glad I could be of help. And hope you have good results. Please post up periodically on how it goes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
140 miles this weekend. No more flashing. I'm not so bold as to think its permanent but it's fixed for now and that's good enough for me. Besides its not all that hard to do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2000 miles since I touched it. This past weekend started flickering in 5th (only) again. When it gets much worse I will clean it again. When I get tired of that I will just replace.

·
Registered
218 Posts
2000 miles since I touched it. This past weekend started flickering in 5th (only) again. When it gets much worse I will clean it again. When I get tired of that I will just replace.
Mine started flickering in first again too. It only does it when it is bring ridden gently. After a good beating it'll act normal until it cools down again. I'm not too bothered by it. As long as it doesn't cause anything to go wrong I'll probably just live with it until it starts happening in other gears.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
do you ride in the rain a lot? if the contacts are getting dirty that quickly, i wonder if the o-ring is not sealing well.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
do you ride in the rain a lot? if the contacts are getting dirty that quickly, i wonder if the o-ring is not sealing well.
Bike has never seen rain. For that matter neither have I for a while. But, the winds have been crazy as is usual for Vegas. Wonder if sand or dirt is getting in there. Good thought Bobby. I will see about replacing that the next time I try to clean the contacts.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
So, what I'm wondering, if the ECU doesn't know that the bike is in 5th or 6th gear, could this possibly disable the top speed restrictor? Hmmm. What cha think Bobby?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just noticed this today on my bike, but it only happens in 6th gear
just noticed yesterday that its flickering in 5th and I noticed it in 2nd as well, looks like I need to try that carb clean/pencil eraser trick...

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Is the surface of the sensor lubricated by engine oil by design or is it supposed to be dry in there?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So, what I'm wondering, if the ECU doesn't know that the bike is in 5th or 6th gear, could this possibly disable the top speed restrictor? Hmmm. What cha think Bobby?
i believe marthy and a few others tried this in the early days, but couldn't defeat it. seems like the ecu has multiple checks in place.

so far, a reflash is the only reliable way to defeat the speed limiter.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bobby.......of well, I don't need a street bike to go over the 131/132 speed limit anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My bike just started doing this last week. The gear indicator goes blank in 5th gear. Have tried shifting differently, using slightly more force and rowing through the gears to see if it's just a quirk. At least it's consistent and only does it in 5th gear for some reason. Next step is to unplug the battery for a bit to see if that'll "reset" it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My bike just started doing this last week. The gear indicator goes blank in 5th gear. Have tried shifting differently, using slightly more force and rowing through the gears to see if it's just a quirk. At least it's consistent and only does it in 5th gear for some reason. Next step is to unplug the battery for a bit to see if that'll "reset" it.
Share the result please.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got back from a ride after letting the bike sit overnight with negative lead unplugged.
It works completely normal now with all gear numbers showing up every time.

I'm sure it'll be back at some point, but for now I'll take that result!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well that's interesting. Not sure what to make of it. Glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Totally out in 5th gear and flashing in 6th now. Ordered a replacement "Neutral Switch Assembly" from Partshark.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just in case anyone runs into this problem in the future. Replaced the Neutral Switch Assembly last night. No need to remove tank or disconnect anything from it. You can get to the two connectors quite easily by lifting the tank up.

Cost was $39.46 plus $1.46 for the o-ring from Partshark.com. Took it for a quick ride last night and all systems go. 5th and 6th are solid like the rest.

Here is what the part looks like:

Photo Nov 20, 8 18 46 AM.jpg

21 - 40 of 77 Posts