Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gear indicator on the gauge display flashes randomly when in 5th gear and only in 5th gear. It doesn't do it all the time. Road for about two hours on Sunday morning and didn't notice it once. Went for another two hour ride later in the day and at times the "5" would disappear completely. Then come back and flash. Then it would stay on steady like normal. Anyone else have this issue? Just noticed it for the first time this weekend. Mechanically the bike is sound in 5th. Got about a month or two left on the warranty. But it's one of those things that might be hard to duplicate for the dealership.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
probably the gear position switch being flaky, e.g. dirty contacts for 5th causing intermittent continuity (when the instrument panel doesn't get a signal from the switch, the gear position goes blank. flashing means the signal is cutting in and out).

see if you can push the dealer to replace the switch under warranty. worst comes to worst, it's a $40 part that you can replace yourself.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
p.s. i haven't seen the 09's gear position sensor, but the sensors on some other bikes have external contacts which are visible when you remove the sensor. the way these work is, there's a conductive pin on the end of the shift drum that touches the contact for that particular gear and pulls that line to ground and in that way signals to the ecu/instrument panel what gear the bike's in. for example: ? View topic - Gear Position Switch Restoration

if the 09's is like this, then you can try removing the sensor and cleaning the contacts.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bobby - I might try to do it myself and see if it stops. I will post up results of my efforts. If a little TLC on my part doesn't fix it then I will take it in under the warranty.

snamzzaj - Thanks for posting up. Let me know what action you take if any.

I wonder what makes 5th so special? Maybe I just need to keep it in 4th and only use 5th to get to 6th. lol Who's on first?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just noticed this today on my bike, but it only happens in 6th gear

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might pull the gear sensor tomorrow night. I am trying to confirm that I am looking at the right part. The service manual says the fuel tank needs to be removed but if I located the sensor I don't see why.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might pull the gear sensor tomorrow night. I am trying to confirm that I am looking at the right part. The service manual says the fuel tank needs to be removed but if I located the sensor I don't see why.
the connectors for the sensor are in the area under the tank so if you're trying to remove the sensor completely from the bike the tank will need to be removed or lifted up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bobby. At this point i just want to remove it from the sensor end and do a visual. If there is nothing obvious that is blocking the contacts then I will let the dealership replace it on their dime.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^:mad:In the immortal words of the great Ice Cube: "You best check yo'self before you wreck yo'self!" I believe one of these other bikes exhibiting the problem is Orange. :p

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^Careful neighbor! :)

Hey RickyNY! Doesn't it take Yellow and Red to make Orange?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^ Hahaha, that's right. I now think is worst to have an Orange FZ than a Red :cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the sensor tonight. Other than the contacts on the sensor looking a little dark I couldn't find anything different between each of the seven contacts. I wiped the face of the sensor down with carb cleaner from a rag. Then I used a pencil eraser on each. Nice and shiny when I was done. Went for a 60+ mile ride and rode in 5th as much as possible. No flicker. Worked as designed. Only time will tell if this will be routine maintenance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I pulled the sensor tonight. Other than the contacts on the sensor looking a little dark I couldn't find anything different between each of the seven contacts. I wiped the face of the sensor down with carb cleaner from a rag. Then I used a pencil eraser on each. Nice and shiny when I was done. Went for a 60+ mile ride and rode in 5th as much as possible. No flicker. Worked as designed. Only time will tell if this will be routine maintenance.
My bike just started having the same problem with 1st. Gonna pull the thing later this weekend and clean it. Where exactly is it located? I saw it in the owners manual, but everything seemed flipped and it confused the crap out of me lol.

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^look right behind the shift linkage. It's about 1" down from the top of the linkage. Has two Allen screws and about 6 wires coming out of it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
^^^look right behind the shift linkage. It's about 1" down from the top of the linkage. Has two Allen screws and about 6 wires coming out of it.
Thanks man. I got bored and decided to just go give it a shot before reading your reply. However, the carb cleaner and pencil eraser worked like a charm. Also got to clean all the gunk that I've accumulated in the past 13,000 miles from the front sprocket.

Reactions: Lateralus
1 - 20 of 77 Posts