Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying some riding gear. Right now, I have an old ass jacket that doesn't really fit. I wear jeans, some basic shoes, and some torn up gloves for riding. The chances I do a track day are slim, but I still do a lot of hard cornering outside the track. I also do some longer trips. What would the best gear be for versatility? I need gloves, boots, pants, and a jacket. I am looking at used right now do to how expensive everything is new. 2-piece leather suit? 4-season textile? full suit? Any suggestions you guys got, let me here them!

For anyone looking to maybe get rid of some old gear. I am a 5'9" and 170lbs athletically built gentleman.

Gloves
Jacket
Pants
Boots (9.5)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
There are several of us here that wear full leathers when riding....and I always recommend dressing for the crash, not for the ride. Lots of folks don't agree with that thought, and it's an individual choice obviously. Sweat dries, road rash is the gift that keeps on giving sometimes.....surgery, after surgery, after surgery. I've been down once on the street in my 48 years of riding, and three times on the track. Every single time I was wearing full leathers and even though I sustained some pretty minor injuries, I've never lost any skin. So choose wisely, decide what you are willing to risk if things go wrong, and buy the highest quality safety gear that you can afford.....most of the time having something vs. nothing is a better move. BTW.....I don't consider jeans and a T shirt, tennis shoes, appropriate riding gear, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Textile kit is more versatile, and some of the the high end stuff has as good abrasion resistance as cowhide. It is harder to keep clean, but you can wash it.
If you think you'll do track days, I think most tracks mandate leather now, although my local one allows textile pants for beginners.
If you stick with jeans, try and get kevlar types preferably with armour. I'm using Spidis now, but they are heavy duty denim, not kevlar and have hip and knee armour.
I'm finding that as I get older my body temp control is not working as well as it used to, so I overheat more easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I think textile is the way to go. Sadly, that will limit my track day possibilities...but for the kind of riding I do, it is just not feasible. So textile it is...damn I wish this stuff wasn't so expensive. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Leather is pricey for sure! But as Lou mentioned, textile is very versatile, provides good protection and can be had without breaking the bank! That jacket in the above link is a smokin deal for $100 and I believe shipping is free! They have an outstanding return policy if the fit is not right. Get on their email list and they will keep you posted of any bargains. If your married buy what you need in your size, wrap it up and give it to her for Christmas...since she cant wear it she can give it to you 😁

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leather is pricey for sure! But as Lou mentioned, textile is very versatile, provides good protection and can be had without breaking the bank! That jacket in the above link is a smokin deal for $100 and I believe shipping is free! They have an outstanding return policy if the fit is not right. Get on their email list and they will keep you posted of any bargains. If your married buy what you need in your size, wrap it up and give it to her for Christmas...since she cant wear it she can give it to you 😁
Sadly they are out of stock in my size or I would be buying that for sure!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went down once wearing textile and jeans, and I only wear leather now. I got a giant scab through the textile and I got lucky I really didn't have any rash on my legs. My then girlfriend now wife got a rather large patch of rash on her leg and a chunk of skin missing from her knee.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The thing about protective gear, leather or textile, is the fit must be really good and snug. You can get a pretty good friction burn and lose skin without your hide coming into contact with the pavement. I speak from experience...and that was from a low speed get off with out my gear being torn up.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
There are plenty of good names out there, but as in most cases you get what you pay for.

I've found used to really be a great deal if you know what you are looking for.

For example, you can buy used a Vanson leather jacket for about 33% of the cost new. They've been making the same leather jacket for 30+ years (yes, one of mine is 30 yrs old) and it still looks and wears like brand new. Watch e-bay and make some bids. $225 for a super high quality leather jacket is not bad.

If you want textile, choose your brands wisely. I'd be willing to pay more for a highend used piece than a new budget model. Think Klim, Rukka or even BMW. I've got some of each of these and they all make a great product. You can always upgrade to the latest armor if the one you buy doesn't have the latest.

Also, you need all of it, not just jacket and pants but Helmet (think Schuberth, Shoei, Aria, etc), Gloves and Boots. There are lots of brands (and opinions) out there so do your homework.

The key to buying used is to make sure you have the right sizes. Go to the shops and try them on. Get the right size and then start searching on e-bay - but don't search my sizes as I don't want to have to bid against you. I haven't always been, but now I'm a ATGATT guy and as Triple says, dress for the crash, not the ride....

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are plenty of good names out there, but as in most cases you get what you pay for.

I've found used to really be a great deal if you know what you are looking for.

For example, you can buy used a Vanson leather jacket for about 33% of the cost new. They've been making the same leather jacket for 30+ years (yes, one of mine is 30 yrs old) and it still looks and wears like brand new. Watch e-bay and make some bids. $225 for a super high quality leather jacket is not bad.

If you want textile, choose your brands wisely. I'd be willing to pay more for a highend used piece than a new budget model. Think Klim, Rukka or even BMW. I've got some of each of these and they all make a great product. You can always upgrade to the latest armor if the one you buy doesn't have the latest.

Also, you need all of it, not just jacket and pants but Helmet (think Schuberth, Shoei, Aria, etc), Gloves and Boots. There are lots of brands (and opinions) out there so do your homework.

The key to buying used is to make sure you have the right sizes. Go to the shops and try them on. Get the right size and then start searching on e-bay - but don't search my sizes as I don't want to have to bid against you. I haven't always been, but now I'm a ATGATT guy and as Triple says, dress for the crash, not the ride....
I would recommend never buying a used helmet as you don't know the condition of the impact absorbing materials inside it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I've just heard about Bogotto gear. I don't know much about it except that it's cheap and reviews well.
Check out FC-Moto.
BTW. I just bought a pair of Gaerne Helium Gortex boots. I finally had enough of my uncomfortable Stylmartin SBK's.
I'm itching to try them out on the bike.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I agree with iLarson007 on a used helmet - good point about possible damage. But honestly, I don't buy used helmets or gloves as that's just a little too much personal contact with the previous owner....prob just me, but I like a layer of clothes, socks, etc between me and the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Go to the shops and try them on. Get the right size and then start searching on e-bay
Good luck finding a shop that stocks decent gear in a variety of sizes. They are becoming increasingly rare. Why is that? See above... ☝🙄

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't really like used gear at all. Despite the safety factor (you don't really know what it went through), all motorcycle gear is likely to have been heavily sweated in .

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Unless you're Prince Andrew and don't sweat. But then he doesn't ride bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts