Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the GB Racing Cover Set, however my coolant started to drain out as I removed one bolt too many in addition to the coolant drain bolt and so the coolant started gushing out and mid-panic I stuck a bolt in to stop the leaking as I still needed to adjust the hose clamp on the water pump and ended up stripping a few threads from the coolant drain hole. I was able to finish reinstalling the water pump cover on it and so far no leaks and losing a lot of coolant.

Now I have a few questions, how difficult is it to replace the water pump housing cover or do I need to replace the entire water pump assembly? I'd rather not risk having leaks down the road due to a few stripped threads.

If I go the route of replacing just the water pump housing cover, what are the parts needed and can I do it by myself or should I take it to a shop? This is my first time that I would be attempting to do this so it looks like I would need to replace the O-Ring behind the water pump housing cover, the water pump housing cover, and a copper washer or 2 for the coolant drain bolt.

Are there any reputable online dealers for genuine factory parts and coolant or am I better off getting the parts from a dealer and having them do it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Auto part Diagram Line art Automotive exterior

Part 11, 12, and 3. Personally if it is not leaking now, i would just keep an eye on it and ride on! If you are worried about it and want it replaced it is not hard to do yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming the parts that I need if I go the route of replacing the cover. Are there any reputable online merchants for the Yamaha parts or would it be wiser to source it from a dealer locally? In the case I do go that route, I would just let the coolant drain out and remove the cover is there going to be much coolant left to clean up? Looking at the pic it looks like all I need to do is just take Part 13, Part 11 and replace with new Part 11, and Part 13 and then put the bolts back on.

I have very little coolant left in the bike right now so it might be worth flushing out the remaining coolant and put in a new coolant. I was reading some articles about how some bikes have an overflow reservoir and an air bleeder bolt. Does the FZ09 have either of those or is it just removing the fluid from the reservoir and drain cover and flushing the system?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Text Diagram Auto part Line art Font Text Font Document Paper Paper product

Basically remove the reservoir and empty it. Then remove radiator cap, and water pump drain bolt (#13 in first diagram posted or bolt with copper washer on it) and empty coolant. You should then be able to remove the whole water pump assembly as a unit. There may be some coolant that didn't drain completely so have a pan ready to catch it. From there, remove the water pump cover and o-ring from the water pump assembly and replace them. Take note of how everything looks as you disassemble it, and reassemble it the same way. Install new drain washer and bolt in water pump, fill cooling system (through radiator), fill overflow bottle to max line, then run bike for several minutes. Then check coolant level and you should be good to go!

Please, if anyone has any tips and tricks please comment. Or if you see any issues with what i said or have anything to add, please do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yamaha flat rate for water pump assembly R&R is .3 for the labor. Most dealers have a warranty flat rate multiplier of around 1.5 meaning for that job you can expect to pay a minimum of about 0.5 x shop labor rate. Replacing the cover and o-ring requires a little more dis assembly of the water pump assembly, which if the shop is being fair, shouldn't charge to much more for. Who knows how much they will try and charge for flushing/filling the coolant though. I guess what im trying to say is... if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, it shouldn't cost to much for a shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough, I've just never seen the insides of it so I am just trying to visualize how it would go since it doesn't look too difficult. In hindsight I should've probably just let the coolant go instead of trying to plug it and stripping the threads but it was my first time dealing with gushing coolant :p

Looks like most online parts merchants don't show if the part is in stock or not except for bikebandit but the O-Ring is OOS. I reached out to Stadium Yamaha and Honda Toledo East to get an ETA on parts.

In the mean time since its not leaking I am looking to get some Yamaha coolant to fill up so I can still ride :D

Silly question but where is the overflow bottle?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yamaha is showing the cover and o-ring available in their warehouses. If not in stock most shops/dealers can have them ordered and in stock in roughly 4-5 business days depending on their location to the warehouses. Most places will not carry these parts in stock. water pump cover and o-ring looks like it will cost you about $55 ish.

overflow bottle is on the right side towards the front of the motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Is there a way for the general public to check the warehouse inventory or is that restricted to dealers? Just curious in case I ever need it in the future, I hope I don't break anything else >_< At least I haven't stripped the engine mount bolts when doing the OES sliders, the 33 ft-lb torque seemed a bit overkill.

I am going to be looking into sourcing the parts ASAP since the holidays are coming up right around the corner and will post an update on how the cover replacement goes.

@TheFZ09ismine - Don't know where you are but I probably owe you a dinner once this is all sorted out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sweet! Is there a way for the general public to check the warehouse inventory or is that restricted to dealers? Just curious in case I ever need it in the future, I hope I don't break anything else >_< At least I haven't stripped the engine mount bolts when doing the OES sliders, the 33 ft-lb torque seemed a bit overkill.

I am going to be looking into sourcing the parts ASAP since the holidays are coming up right around the corner and will post an update on how the cover replacement goes.

@TheFZ09ismine - Don't know where you are but I probably owe you a dinner once this is all sorted out.
No dinner needed. Quite frankly i was bored and wanted to help out if i could :)

As far as the general public checking availability... idk. Only way i know is to contact a dealer and have them check price and availability. or know someone that can check for you :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know who I'm asking in the future, one more question about the water pump cover part 3 - is the drain bolt part of the cover threaded or is it smooth and the threads on the inner cover/plate? Just asking for clarification because if the cover isn't threaded - it doesn't make sense to replace it.

Btw, for the Yamaha coolant - is there a specific one for the FZ-09? I am thinking about just topping it off and running with it for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I doubt it's threaded, but I'll officially know in a few more days. I cracked my part #3 by over-tightening some crash bars and coolant came spilling out. :). I got my #3 from Partshark.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've had these covers on for a while except for the water pump cover. I held off on the water pump cover until its time to flush the coolant.. that time is today.

To answer superflytaco's question about the threading on the drain bolt, the cover is not threaded. Its just a metal spacer. However, installing the cover requires (2) copper washers. (1) on the engine side and (1) on the cover side. the kit provides one and instructs you to re-use the old one. But if your flushing the coolant, best to replace the old one with a new one.

I have a question for others who've installed this water pump cover.

Did anyone find an issue with the Jubilee clamp after the install? I ask because I noticed the clamp does not lay exactly where it used to. My experience working on engines I've always tried my best to fit these clamps exactly on the impressed part of the hose where it was before. Due to clearance issues with the cover, my clamp is a few millimeters off its original spot. I'm going to run it this way for now, but if I get any leaks from it down the road, I will remove the cover permanently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts