Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're kicking around the idea of offering our popular fork piston kit (revalve) in pre-built cartridges. The idea would be to offer a core-exchange program. We ship you a pre-built fork cartridge w/ oil and springs (no need for you to open up your stock cartridge). You install the cartridge (Factory Service Manual covers this procedure in detail), remove yours, and ship it back to us. As long as your cartridge isn't defective or otherwise damaged, we'll refund the core charge.

Pending enough interest, we need some help identifying how many cores to keep in stock. So, if this is something that you'd be interested in, please respond here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Vendor
870 Posts
It might be interesting to offer a "tool rental" (analogous to your GP25 scenario) as part of the deal since many folks don't necessarily have the spring compressor, bleed tool, oil height syringe, 8mm extended hex key on a socket, or the pair of 14 and 24(?)mm wrenches. A bottle of oil included also means you don't get people free-lancing on that aspect and getting a poor result (yes, it happens), though you'll have to figure out how to package and ship that since USPS looks dimly on it and it would be a 'biggish' container vs the slender round tube the cart would come in. I think I've had 8 Intermediates go out as kits.

Also of late (2016) the factory has started to lock-tite the cartridge bolt so even an impact wrench is not sufficient. You need a cartridge holder.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am interested for sure. Would this come with upgraded springs for our weight as well? That is included in the $380 price? We would still need to use a spring compressor and such to do the install ourselves correct?

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be interesting to offer a "tool rental" (analogous to your GP25 scenario) as part of the deal since many folks don't necessarily have the spring compressor, bleed tool, oil height syringe, 8mm extended hex key on a socket, or the pair of 14 and 24(?)mm wrenches. A bottle of oil included also means you don't get people free-lancing on that aspect and getting a poor result (yes, it happens), though you'll have to figure out how to package and ship that since USPS looks dimly on it and it would be a 'biggish' container vs the slender round tube the cart would come in. I think I've had a 8 Intermediates go out as kits.

Also of late (2016) the factory has started to lock-tite the cartridge bolt so even an impact wrench is not sufficient. You have to hold the cartridge.
This is something that I've kicked around. Never did much with it, but it bears another look!

I am interested for sure. Would this come with upgraded springs for our weight as well? That is included in the $380 price? We would still need to use a spring compressor and such to do the install ourselves correct?
Yes, springs included. If you didn't need springs (already had them or just light enough that the stock springs work), you can knock $84 off the price.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Very interested. Would those $$$'s cover shipping of the stock forks back? The opening of the forks is what has been deterring me as well.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just would like to clarify / confirm what this is you are suggesting...

This would be a fork leg exchange (We send our fork legs to you) or just a cartridge exchange (We send our fork internals to you) ??

The price you suggested would be for each fork leg or the set (both legs)?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I may be interested too. I just have to read up on doing the fork work more in detail. It is definitely needed for my 2015.

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interested. Would those $$$'s cover shipping of the stock forks back? The opening of the forks is what has been deterring me as well.
Return shipping was not included in the pricing mentioned above. That said, there is no reason why we can't include a prepaid label for a few bucks more.

Just would like to clarify / confirm what this is you are suggesting...

This would be a fork leg exchange (We send our fork legs to you) or just a cartridge exchange (We send our fork internals to you) ??

The price you suggested would be for each fork leg or the set (both legs)?
This exchange is just on the cartridge. You'll need to get yours out and install the new one.

I may be interested too. I just have to read up on doing the fork work more in detail. It is definitely needed for my 2015.
Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that was quick!

Right now, the thought is a sales price of $380. Core charge of $300, which would refundable per the original post.
Seriously? Am I reading this right? $80+Springs?

I'm in! Do I even need springs? I'm only 150lbs.
I think you missed a digit...

If you don't need the springs, it'd be $380 minus $84 - $296.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I believe Nimbus is referring to the $380 minus $300 refundable core charge... Which is what it sounds like you're saying.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe Nimbus is referring to the $380 minus $300 refundable core charge... Which is what it sounds like you're saying.
That's what I was referring to. Sounded too good to be true. Either way, still a great idea that I'm very interested in.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would love that he meant $80 after core return, but he didnt. $380 for the service - cost is not bad forrebuilt cartridges. In fact its the best deal on quality forks with minimal work. I am truely hoping nick does this. Its my only chance of upgrading my suspension as it doesnt cost my first born, lol.

My only problem is having the correct specialty tools for the cartridge breakdown-install. Ive never done suspension work. Is it just removing the top cap? Or do you have to break it down further? any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's what I was referring to. Sounded too good to be true. Either way, still a great idea that I'm very interested in.
Reread what he had posted : Cartridge kit $380 With Spring .. PLUS a $300 core charge... So you get billed for $380 + $300 core = $680...You return Your Cartridges and If no damage and they can be reused you get a credit of $300 for the core !! And you Pay for return shipping of your core ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.