Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

gauging interest/ design help for cage... ideas welcome

9K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cheezin_steve 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have been looking at frame sliders and just can't history $70 for something that won't really protect my engine covers so I have started the ball rolling on a 3 point crash bar/ cage.

This is where I am at currently looking at 3 mounts with a slider on the front engine mount. I'm looking for thoughts from guys that have gone down with a cage or sliders for any input so I can get something hammered down and possibly offer them here;). Thanks guys
Dxs

See less See more
#3 ·
I was looking at Something like that but leg clearance becomes as issue and my main concern is the massive engine cover on the left side. It won't be used to stunt just a crash bar replacing sliders. Do you have any input as to what different angles do to the bike in the event of a slide? In the event of a low side I would assume that a bar angling up from the foot brake area to the front engine mount at a rough 30 degrees could potentially allow the bike to slide at that angle... now I'm hoping my assumptions are correct because between that and a rear axle slider the initial point of contact with a curb or gaurdrail in the event of a slide would be the rear tire( best case scenario). That's whatim shooting for here. Please lemme know what u think.

#4 ·
I think leg clearance is more of an issue with your design but of course thats up to you. you will bang your shins no matter what. the important point is mounting the cage to heavy duty points. the standard are swingarm mounts to motor mounts then a cross through bar to the other side of the bike. as far as angles i really liked and had the most success with my sick innovations cages on my f4i stunt bikes. the angles were perfect so to not bang my shins and not get caught up on the ground when my bike hit the deck. I never had a sick innovations cage fail. Look up the SI design for the f4i to see what kind of angles they run. I've broken FI cages and racing 905 cages but never the SI design. i never used plastic sliders on any of my cages either. they typically would just bend out.

#9 ·
I would love cad drawings the shop won't use them but I'm a mech Eng student so I love technical stuff lol I'll get all the mount measurements and clearances as well

And steve I don't see why I can't relicate the center Gauge would u want it moved toward the ground too?

#10 ·
def dont forget to ck out the sick innov f4i design. i'd love to see someone make a professional looking bracket that centers the gauges up at the same angle as stock if not a bit higher so not to strain the neck and clear the ignition. i love you all and have a blessed day:cool:

#17 ·
I'd be concerned with foot clearance, and with the bar that goes up digging in instead of sliding - it needs something bracing forward. The cell phone photo of one that also has an upper front to back bar would help. I don't understand why so many people think engine/case guards are just for stunters and racers. To me they are the unsung safety equipment like cell phones and a credit card. They can be the difference between abandoning your bike and limping off for help - or riding somewhere to get help (or home).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.