Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Had a few over the years. Now I've got a BMW F800ST and a Ninja 650 w/ 50K on it.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for my next bike and the XSR900 is on the short list.
One thing I don't like is the gap on the sides between the gas tank and the frame - it looks like they put a tank from a different bike on it to save some money.
Does anyone sell a cover panel for that?
Or has anyone made one?

·
Registered
112 Posts
View attachment 167607

That gap?
You know, until you mentioned it I never noticed.
How did you not notice?! I get that they were trying to emulate the original XS tanks ( dent for the carbs), but that gap infuriates me when I see it.

They didn't do it on the 700's, and I think 900 having a bend in the frame there accentuates it even more. I still like the bikes, but yeah, that gap is something else.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
…but that gap infuriates me when I see it.
Infuriates. Wow. 😳

Lots of Yamahas have had that gap, from the FZ600 to the original R1, and several others. It’s kind of a Yamaha styling cue. I’ve owned many of those bikes, so maybe that’s why the gap doesn’t bother me in the least. I also have a feeling it may be feeding the airbox air, making it a functional feature. But go ahead and cover it up and see if it works… 💁🏻‍♂️

Even these guys kept that gap, even though it’s a completely different style tank…

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

You could always paint the lower half of the tank black, like on the 60th anniversary, so the gap blends in better…

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
Probably because I’m always staring at this tumor on the frame with those things…
LOL! Everyone has their issues. On Motorcycle Daily, the big things are “tank seams” and “beaks”. Dealbreakers, those! 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
608 Posts
How did you not notice?! I get that they were trying to emulate the original XS tanks ( dent for the carbs), but that gap infuriates me when I see it.

They didn't do it on the 700's, and I think 900 having a bend in the frame there accentuates it even more. I still like the bikes, but yeah, that gap is something else.
The original XS tank had a dent for the carbs?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts