Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about the high gas mileage that you guys are getting on the bike and am curious what you are doing to get these numbers. This is my first bike with a tach and with something that tells me fuel mileage. I have never wondered about it before, just rode my bike and got gas every hundred or so miles on my Harley.

I'm getting mid '30's. My idea of a good time is not riding on highways, so I have been riding on back roads where the speed limit is around 50, and I don't speed. The roads are normally in the 40 to 45 mph range. I haven't sat in a lot of traffic with this bike either.

(1) What gears are you mostly using for riding around town?
(2) What rpms are you maintaining?
(3) If you are getting higher mpg on the bike, is this from highway miles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Jen, I am getting about 30-35, but ride straight into the twisties. I stay in 3rd and 4th much of the time in A mode.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My daiky commute is in std or a mode and i get 42 mpg on premium or 89 octane. Switching to regular drops me to 36-38 over the two tanks i tried.

My commute is mostly freeway. 21 miles each way

My bike is totaly stock engine and ecu but i have a 43 tooth rear sprocket.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here, mostly third and fourth, in B mode.

I thought we had to use premium??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jen;
I am averaging right at 50 MPG for the total miles I have on the bike. It started in the 30's for the first 300 to 400 miles and has incrementally increased since then.
I DON'T ride in town and I DO ride aggressively in the local twisties, which is where I ride almost exclusively. I rarely look at the tach, and instead use the engine torque to determine what gear I'm in. This is just automatically how I ride. I broke this bike in hard, hitting the rev limiter several times in the first couple hundred miles or so, but have not done so lately. The torque, when used correctly, eliminates excessive use of RPM's. You can keep this bike very happy rarely exceeding 9,000 RPM.
I cannot tell you whether my bike is an exception or not, but I don't baby it nor do I abuse it or ride for mileage. This works for me, and has since 1959.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To get good mileage you are going to need to be in 5th or 6th gear and cruising on roads with few stops about 45-60 mph. But then that's not what most of us bought the bike to do!

Mike

Reactions: mralandy

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hard break in exceeds my comfort level (I've been following the book recommendations for break in). You are getting great mpg!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Everyone has their theory about breakin sequence. Yamaha's book approach is more about limiting their liability than an effective breakin process, in my opinion.

Reactions: EdVR

·
Registered
835 Posts
My Fuelly stats are showing an average of 36.4MPG with my best being 53MPG.

Mostly commuting on highway, avg speed probably 80mph. I mean, the speed limit...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would think that there would also be liability if the bike didn't perform as expected based on their recommended break in and there were engine problems etc. It would work both ways.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Uhhh, Croomrider, I DON"T ride like that. Mine may be a gas mileage exception, but if there is no reason to be blasting along at 10 grand, why do it?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You would think that there would also be liability if the bike didn't perform as expected based on their recommended break in and there were engine problems etc. It would work both ways.
Very unlikely any liability that way compared to the liability if they recommended a proper break in at high rpm under load.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Uhhh, Croomrider, I DON"T ride like that. Mine may be a gas mileage exception, but if there is no reason to be blasting along at 10 grand, why do it?
Not saying you do, but if you did, your mileage would be even better! I probably ride a lot like you and avearge in the mid to high 40's.

Mike

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In the city- between 35-40MPG. I can bring the bike to the 6th gear (B/STD mode) even in stop and go and can pull the bike from 20 to a occasional 60+ (mostly on the bridge). I think the city happy rpm range is 3-4k and the bike has enough stomp to pull from higher gears. Remember, this city I speak of is NYC, which is crowded with people and cars and potholes so going fast is probably taking an unnecessary (& extremely stupid) risk.

On highway runs I have achieved a average of around 54MPG staying between 55 and 70 mph (STD mode)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Were about's did you get your sprocket?

My daiky commute is in std or a mode and i get 42 mpg on premium or 89 octane. Switching to regular drops me to 36-38 over the two tanks i tried.

My commute is mostly freeway. 21 miles each way

My bike is totaly stock engine and ecu but i have a 43 tooth rear sprocket.

·
Registered
616 Posts
When I'm commuting, I'm in a different mindset. I ride 100 miles; 60 highway and 40 in town. I'm in B mode and try to stay in the low 70's. I'm getting in the high 40's following these parameters.

·
Registered
835 Posts
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.