Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this answer and could not find it so I hope someone can let me in on the secret.
I am trying to remove the gas tank and can't get the gas line disconnected.
It appears that you slide the orange piece of plastic down and then compress the blue square buttons. Is that correct? If this is the method then my fingers are either too fat or not strong enough. I would imagine if that is the case there must be a special tool for it.
Somebody fill me in please.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have to put a light pressure on the orange piece to relieve pressure, then compress the blue lock tabs fairly hard if I remember right. It was a pain in the ass and took me about 30 min to figure it out

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, that is about what I figured. I guess I will make another special tool.
What I can't understand is why they didn't use brass fittings like on gas tanks, they withstand 3000 PSI with no leaks and two wrenches makes it an easy task.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The so-called quick disconnect is the biggest PITA in working on the bike.

Even with home made pliers to squeeze the blue squares it's still a PITA.

Reaching way in there and having to fight with the hose at what loks to be a delicate plastic fitting,

prompted me to re- do the hose.

Reactions: PegasusJockey

·
Registered
877 Posts
I took some 5/16ths FI rated hose and clamps and clamped hose directly to tank fitting.

I took another length and clamped to quick disconnect fitting by throttle bodies.

The OEM hose is not re usable.

I put a 5/16ths nipple on one side of an AN junction I rigged up left side , middle to make easier to reach.

I just use 2 open end wrenches to disconnect and put back together .

This is a much easier and safer way to work.

Female AN connector to Male AN nipple.

Reactions: PegasusJockey

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't have the skills of Dolan and Pegasus, if I did maybe I'd go for an aluminum subframe and Cafe-ish tail for my 09. As it is the needle nose and zip ties work well enough for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That would help Doug, I think it would still be too much for my fingers. My arthritis is far from the worst but somethings really hurt, like trying to squeeze the water out of a bunched up wash cloth with one hand.

If I was going to do other than my pliers+zips I'd try something like Pegasus's tool but made from the extruded aluminum you get at at hardware stores.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My fingers are getting arthritic. I feel for you. I have broken most bones in both hands, mostly motocross and woods riding. A couple of punches thrown in for good measure. I am just glad that I survived the 70's.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went back to the bone doc today for a shot of cortisone in my wrist...with that and pop a couple of pills i am back to about 11% hehe. I feel your pain...literally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts