Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive had my 9er for a little over 2 weeks and have experinced stalling while clutch is engaded at road way speeds, hard starting in the mornings, and now today as i went to go change my oil with a buddy of mine i noticed my oil had a strong oder of FUEL. i asked for his opinion on the smell and he said smells like fuel to me and asked my girlfriend to have a smell of some on a rag without telling her and her answer was fuel also. now ive never changed oil on a bike or car with a fuel smell to it so to me its not normal. does anyone else have the issue i am because the bike only has 2500K on it and from the stalling at highway speeds which put me in very dangerous sitiations and dealing with the stealership and them saying they fixed the problem when it still dose stall time to time and now finding gas in my oil, ive had enough and im ready to get rid of the hunk of junk! anyone else have the issues i am having? am i being a little too hard on the bike? should i be dealing with these issues? :confused::mad: Please help a fellow 9er out!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't know how it could be happening but neither the stalling or gas in the oil are normal or ok. Should be taken care of under warranty, if the dealer isn't taking care of it see if there is another dealer in your area with a better service reputation or contact Yamaha USA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how it could be happening but neither the stalling or gas in the oil are normal or ok. Should be taken care of under warranty, if the dealer isn't taking care of it see if there is another dealer in your area with a better service reputation or contact Yamaha USA.
see thats the thing. ive taken it to the dealer and then they tried telling me it was the spark plugs and they wernt covered but didnt tell me if i wanted to change them or not and as i argued they let it go and since then they dont help with squat. and there the only yamaha dealer in my state that i know of. and i guess contacting yamaha would be my best bet. im just fustrated due to the fact that i love the bike and its brand new and my dealer dont help with sqaut... so gas in my oil means that unburnt fuel is getting passed the piston rings which means the piston rings are not seated in place right?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Why are or would the plugs be bad at your mileage? There is a recent thread on the forum by a rider with about 10,000 miles on his FZ, if I recall right he is getting a bit of surging when trying to cruise at a steady speed and he think it might be the plugs.

What gas mileage are you getting under what riding conditions? Maybe your FZ is running too rich?

How did you break in your engine?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you verified fuel in the oil or just by smell? Many people can mistake oil smell for fuel. Any discoloration? Milkyness?
Due to the stalling issues... Maybe be related? I'd take it back and give them one last shot at fixing. Then contact Yamaha direct.

·
Registered
165 Posts
see thats the thing. ive taken it to the dealer and then they tried telling me it was the spark plugs and they wernt covered but didnt tell me if i wanted to change them or not and as i argued they let it go and since then they dont help with squat. and there the only yamaha dealer in my state that i know of. and i guess contacting yamaha would be my best bet. im just fustrated due to the fact that i love the bike and its brand new and my dealer dont help with sqaut... so gas in my oil means that unburnt fuel is getting passed the piston rings which means the piston rings are not seated in place right?
the plugs are not covered? that's a new one. contact Yamaha USA and ask them.

this does not mean your rings are not seated. if you fill the cylinder with fuel and turn the engine over it will either squirt fuel past the rings or, possibly, bend a rod. the rings are designed to stop oil coming up past them, not to stop fuel going down past them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are or would the plugs be bad at your mileage? There is a recent thread on the forum by a rider with about 10,000 miles on his FZ, if I recall right he is getting a bit of surging when trying to cruise at a steady speed and he think it might be the plugs.

What gas mileage are you getting under what riding conditions? Maybe your FZ is running too rich?

How did you break in your engine?
so heres the deal. when the pugls were changed they were changed at 1700K. when i asked why, they told me they were faulty and that was causing your bike to stall under a heavy load and letting off which still dose and its the scariest when it happends at around 65mph and you let go the clutch and your ass end is fishtailing around a turn. now the thing is ever since they changed the plugs its been having a hard time starting in the mornings. i would have to crank it for a few seconds get off and try a second time. usuually it goes after the theird pull of the fire up button. i have noticed it bogs tho starting up like boom boom then rooooom its up and running. dont mine my special effects by the way :toothy12: anyways, gas millage i have not kept and eye on. im going to start keeping an eye on that from now on. ive only used 93 octaine in it tho. so i know im running the right fuel then again who knows what gas is in the gas stations these days. but i do believe its running too rich due to all the unburnt fuel leaving a nice black coat of crud dust on my tail pipe. and the dealers respone was "yeah man.... a pipe will fix your issue man..... no doubt mannn...." sooo i would like to not go back to being told to spend money to fix an issue i shouldnt be having to begin with. i also asked him "if thats the case why would yamaha release a bike that needed a aftermarket mod to run correctly?" he didnt have an answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you verified fuel in the oil or just by smell? Many people can mistake oil smell for fuel. Any discoloration? Milkyness?
Due to the stalling issues... Maybe be related? I'd take it back and give them one last shot at fixing. Then contact Yamaha direct.
i cant 100% comfirm but it was very watery like and had a very strong odor of fuel so that was me comfirming due to common sense. i never smelled oil before that had a strong fuel odor to it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
so heres the deal. when the pugls were changed they were changed at 1700K. when i asked why, they told me they were faulty and that was causing your bike to stall under a heavy load and letting off which still dose and its the scariest when it happends at around 65mph and you let go the clutch and your ass end is fishtailing around a turn. now the thing is ever since they changed the plugs its been having a hard time starting in the mornings. i would have to crank it for a few seconds get off and try a second time. usuually it goes after the theird pull of the fire up button. i have noticed it bogs tho starting up like boom boom then rooooom its up and running. dont mine my special effects by the way :toothy12: anyways, gas millage i have not kept and eye on. im going to start keeping an eye on that from now on. ive only used 93 octaine in it tho. so i know im running the right fuel then again who knows what gas is in the gas stations these days. but i do believe its running too rich due to all the unburnt fuel leaving a nice black coat of crud dust on my tail pipe. and the dealers respone was "yeah man.... a pipe will fix your issue man..... no doubt mannn...." sooo i would like to not go back to being told to spend money to fix an issue i shouldnt be having to begin with. i also asked him "if thats the case why would yamaha release a bike that needed a aftermarket mod to run correctly?" he didnt have an answer.
With that kind of service... yeah I probably wouldnt go back then. Contact Yamaha. Any other dealers remotely close by?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the plugs are not covered? that's a new one. contact Yamaha USA and ask them.

this does not mean your rings are not seated. if you fill the cylinder with fuel and turn the engine over it will either squirt fuel past the rings or, possibly, bend a rod. the rings are designed to stop oil coming up past them, not to stop fuel going down past them.
yupp. my dealer told me my plugs wernt covered and said it was a common issue on these bikes and when i asked how many have you changed so far and they told me mine was the first. so i kinda blew up there spot on there bull shit on them saying it was a common issue when they only heade of it on my bike. and ahh that makes more sence so is it normal to have a scent of gas in my oil?

·
Registered
400 Posts
yupp. my dealer told me my plugs wernt covered and said it was a common issue on these bikes and when i asked how many have you changed so far and they told me mine was the first. so i kinda blew up there spot on there bull shit on them saying it was a common issue when they only heade of it on my bike. and ahh that makes more sence so is it normal to have a scent of gas in my oil?
WTF??? Common issue but first they have seen. And if it was a DEFECT with the plug, it would be covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Find a new dealer NOW! These guys are a bunch of Morons!

Reactions: cza888 and v2Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
Any engine after some use will have the oil smell like fuel. Even my '14 BMW right now with 1000 miles on it has a fuel smell in the oil. It's just the nature of things. As far as the bike stalling, I seriously doubt that has anything to do with the rings seating or being too hard on the bike. I've beat the living sh!t out of my fz from day one and have had not one problem from it yet.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This is his first street bike ever...and he was wanting to get rid of the bike at 1800 miles. Now it has 2500 miles and it looks to me like he is just looking for things to be wrong with it. A few posts ago he said the bike hasn't stalled for two weeks. Now he claims there is gas in the oil. I don't think there is a thing wrong with the bike. Him...I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ban him!!!! People that need attention to justify a decision they made or something along those line piss me off so bad!!! Oh well, there's needy people all over Facebook that need and require attention on a daily basis for mundane daily activities, I guess this is one of them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Some fuel and air gets by the rings on every compression stroke, a very small amount unless the rings aren't doing their job. If you do a lot of short trips the oil may not be getting hot enough to cook the fuel (and moisture) out of the oil, and it can build up over time, doing other bad things than just the smell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
See if the oil will light on fire . Get a small amount that you feel has fuel in it. If it does it should catch fire easy. If you are dumping fuel in your crank sump it will also thin out your oil and cause bearing wear.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is it possible to pressure test the fuel rail? What if one (or more) of the injectors was faulty? Could cause all sorts of issues...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts