Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've always had a garage door opener on every bike wired to a momentary switch. I have this now on my bike but would like to know if anyone knows which wire to tap into so that I can use the high beam flasher button instead as the momentary switch.

I have done a search on this site via google (site: fz09.org) but can't find any info on the wiring needed to do this mod.

Thank you,

Vroompsh

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^. Perhaps not the best idea.....Everytime you flash your high beams your garage door is going to open -- that's terrible! I ride quite a bit at night (7-10pm) and use my high beams often. I can't imagine the headache of my garage door going up & down dozens of times while I'm out for an hour or two. I'd rethink this idea if I were you.:cool:

Reactions: rtsb and Lee Drew

·
Registered
66 Posts
^^^. Perhaps not the best idea.....Everytime you flash your high beams your garage door is going to open -- that's terrible! I ride quite a bit at night (7-10pm) and use my high beams often. I can't imagine the headache of my garage door going up & down dozens of times while I'm out for an hour or two. I'd rethink this idea if I were you.:cool:
Thats a hellofa opener, kinda jealous. lol I had be in almost touching my garage for mine to work

Vroompsh Thought i remember a decent wiring diagram in the service manual. I got mine from the link below, finally got one to work toward the end. Im at work so cant promise its exactly what your looking for but it might be a start.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha...6-fz-09-service-manual-pdf-download-link.html

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Somewhere on here we have a thread that discusses swapping the horn button with information about all of the wires to the push to pass switch.

Not a bad idea since I rarely use the PTP switch, and I never use it close to home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhere on here we have a thread that discusses swapping the horn button with information about all of the wires to the push to pass switch.

Not a bad idea since I rarely use the PTP switch, and I never use it close to home.
Thanks Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the wiring in a picture from the thread you mentioned DNFDOUG. Now do I only connect the positive side from the remote to the positive side of the wiring for the flash to pass switch?

·
Registered
247 Posts
That is great! LMFAO!

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I hope the smiley sunglasses means you are joking????

Here is the product that does that... Don't know if this helps...http://www.motoparthub.com/103102_F...3U0xG3W9WXcfb68UQnnUDblZ-bU0P3nZtBxoCCHnw_wcB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got it all working now. It's pretty easy.

I soldered two wires to the back of the switch that opens and closes the garage door of the garage door opener remote. One of those wires (negative side) to the battery ground. And the other wire (positive side) goes to the flash to pass switch. Below is the wire on the pass to flash you want to tap into. (The one that I'm pointing to with the red lead of my multimeter)

I ended tapping into the wire further below behind the headlight. You can see this in the picture below. The wire at the switch is yellow/white. However the same wire at this plug below is only yellow. Just follow the bundle of wires wrapped in black from the pass to flash switch to this plug behind the headlight area.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Good job. Funny thing, I have keypads mounted outside of all three of my garage doors with alarm keypads mounted just inside. I can always access my garage doors whether I am on the bike or not. My wife also hears me a mile away when she isn't on her bike with me and opens the door for me a bunch. She is a keeper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I lied it doesn't work. Well it does until you start the bike. Then the garage door doesn't stop going up and down. I only tested it with the key on. Back to square one...

·
Registered
160 Posts
It sounds like you may have used the main headlight connector but don't quote me on that since I didn't check the diagram. I discovered today the flash to pass wire from the plastic housing is spliced into the high beam wiring somewhere in the bundle before reaching the connector behind the headlight. The electrical diagram also shows this, but finding that splice would require tearing up the existing bundle and the protective sleeve which is pretty destructive for almost no gain.

If you're still interested in doing this I posted a how-to here. You were 95% there but have to tap into the wire at the source since there's nothing you can use closer to the headlight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts