1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I put a keypad outside the garage doors to get in when I am on my bike or not in my vehicle. I also have a keypad just inside the door to disarm the alarm. They do make openers that are tied into the headlights. I have enough other stuff to drain my charging system, though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Flash2Pass

I've been using a Flash2Pass opener for two years and it has worked flawlessly. Even though my driveway is quite steep it works from about 100 feet out so by the time I coast up to the garage after flashing my lights the door is up. When I bought the FZ-09 I just added another unit to the 09; it cost about $25.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I started looking around for a motorcycle garage door opener, and while this is probably the best model out there, it's not available in the states:
Motorcycle rider invents unique garage opener. [VIDEO]

Any tips or recommendations?

As usual, I'll collect any ideas here in the OP:

Mo-door: Products
Flash2Pass

Also looking at small standard openers to mount on the bike:
Liftmaster 890MAX
I'd gone through the video its good but don't you feel that a Manual Garage Door Opener would be a headache for you??
As depicted in the video the lady comes and open up the door !!
So for this its better to try for an automatic doors like Chamberlaindiy, Liftmaster etc so that in future you don't have to bother about opening the door and that to manually.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This is why I buy shirts with pockets on them.
Hang my work badge from it, put reading glasses in it and a garage door opener for the commute. Just push the button thru the jacket - you will learn where it is.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI, the LiftMaster 890 MAX is working out very well. I keep it and the bike key on the same ring, and when I'm riding I tuck it just behind that cable that's right next to the ignition port and it doesn't move at all (when the bike is upright :p) I just need to put a little plastic baggy on it to seal it. It has good enough range to open the door as soon as I enter the cul-de-sac.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Take your spare garage door remote and open it up. Solder a couple of wires to the connectors for one of the buttons. Either just as pigtails - or figure on how long you'll need. Find a place under the bodywork to velcro the remote to - and mount a momentary pushbutton switch somewhere you can reach. Connect the switch to the wires... The switches are less than a buck. You can get marine grade for about 10 bucks - but I ride in the rain and I've never had one fail yet. It will run off of the battery from the remote so it won't kill your battery - which means it also won't be disabled when you park outside. But if anyone finds the button when the bike's not at home - it's not going to open anything... Mini Push Button Momentary Switch w/ Round Actuator - SPST : 30-111

There are several combination rocker switches (I prefer the round ones). I like to use the ones that have a "momentary on" for one side for my garage remote - and an on/off for heated grips. Square Bezel Round Momentary Rocker Switch - SPDT / On - Off - (On) : 30-16340

·
Registered
56 Posts
I posted this reply some time back on a different thread, thought I would copy it to this thread.

I made one years ago just like the link you have in your post. Since I don't use my high beam much at all (only for opening the garage really) I just wire the remote directly to the high beam now. Using the high beam trigger is an excellent idea for opening the garage door. I've been using this for years for both my cars and bikes. If anyone is interested I put some pics on my site along with some notes. Basically you solder the connection on a garage door opener remote to closed so that it is always on, then you solder wires to where the battery goes and connect it to your headlight high beam wire. Whenever you flash the headlight it energizes the remote and the garage door opens (or closes). Hope this helps someone.
Here is the link to my site. http://willsell.com/gdo/

·
Registered
418 Posts
You could simply wire up a remote to your "flash to pass" button. Very easy to do in about 30 minutes. The button function still works, but when in range of your garage opener it'll send the signal and open the door. I wired one up on my R1 but used the high beam button since no flash to pass button is used on that bike. Totally hidden, no wires showing but still has about a 400' range.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Here is my garage door opener solution.
Liftmaster 89max remote.
Remove cover.
Drill tiny hole (very carefully) thru the middle of the large button.
Insert small bolt (2 mm maybe) from the inside going out and tighten with a nut.
I then added a spot of supper glue to quell my paranoid tendencies.
Assemble cover.
I used a small rubber cover from a micro toggle switch to go over the bolt.
Determine exact position required for no interference and drill hole in side cover.
Use JB plastic weld and glue remote down with bolt going thru the hole.
Put side cover back on.
Press button.
I feel a cold draft as garage door opens…press again to close quickly.

IMG534.jpg IMG550.jpg IMG554.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts