Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my mods in the mail, and I was looking for any helpful hints about installation.

For the G2, can I re-use the stock grip? If so, how do I effectively fasten it to the throttle tube? If not, any suggestions on grips?

I got the internal billet adapters for the CRG Arrows. Will those be problematic? I saw something about RhinoMotor bar ends with mirror mounts after I purchased the adapters. Mainly concerned with fit and vibration with the CRG adapters.

I understand the Yoshi instructions are a little vague. I'd appreciate any hints/tips/tricks as far as install goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can reuse the grip but its a pain in the ass to get off. The swap would have taken me 2 minutes but instead took 20 while I floundered around trying to get the grip off the stock throttle tube, lol. My wife was laughing at me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can reuse the grip but its a pain in the ass to get off. The swap would have taken me 2 minutes but instead took 20 while I floundered around trying to get the grip off the stock throttle tube, lol. My wife was laughing at me.
How did you fasten it back on? Glue?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
the Yosh FE is pretty straight forward.

Watch the STG youtube video of the Graves FE installation and you'll get the jist.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
As mentioned, the OEM grip can be reused and secured with any pump or aerosol hair spray.
For those with access to an air compressor, a blast of air between the grip and throttle tube will help with removal.
The entire installation process can be relatively trouble free.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you don't have a air compressor, carefully slide a screwdriver between the grip and the throttle tube, then insert the straw from WD40 in the space next to the screwdriver and squirt in the WD40.

work the wd40 around the grip and then slide the grip off the throttle tube.

wide out excess wd 40 from inside the grip

Spray some carb cleaner inside the grip (carb cleaner will melt foam, gel and tacky grips but works fine on the OEM grips) and then slip the grip onto the new throttle tube. You can also use hairspray or bug spray, any aerosol with a petroleum based propellant. I know some guys that swear by clear spray paint but I think it is a mess.

Carb cleaner evaporates and the grip is secured to the throttle tube.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't use WD-40 if you plan to reuse the grip... You'd really be unhappy if it came off in the middle of a turn, BTDT!

Hairspray works great.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got gel grips. Will hairspray melt them or just the carb cleaner? If I use WD-40 to remove stock, I would want to be very sure I cleaned all of it out before reusing them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have a pdf print or measurements for the rhinomotor bar ends? My uncle is going to machine the groove into the stock bar ends for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Do not use WD-40. It breaks down the rubber. The stock throttle grip is a pain because it is totally glued on. Mine is still mounted to the stock tube in my box of take-offs. Pro-Grip superbike gel grips here with grip glue. The trick to getting the end off the new grip is to slide it on to an old bar in my case and use a hammer around it to get the bar to cut the tip off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts