Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a bit of part number digging and I'm pretty sure the G2 Throttle Tamer for the '04-'12 FZ6 will fit the FZ/MT-09 as they both seem to use the same Yamaha Grip Assembly part number (4YR-26240-02), so it stands to reason that the G2 item will fit. So anyone tried one? I've been making my own (G2 not available in UK) and am so far pleased with the results, 1/4 turn throttle is maintained so can still pile on the power with a quick flick of the wrist but can be manageable when needed during roll on.

I know this is by no means a total fix but I've started to file a cam profile on my own throttle tube and so far am liking the throttle feel now :) I actually do want one of these sent to the UK now (http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...yone-fancy-posting-me-something-small-uk.html)

FZ6

MT-09

G2 Throttle Tamer

The G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer Cam creates a graduated throttle response that makes it easier to ease the throttle from the closed position to open, thus making acceleration much smoother. If you hopped on a bike with the Throttle Tamer installed you would never know it had the aftermarket part installed. You would just think the bike had a really smooth acceleration.

The shape of the Throttle Tamer allows the throttle to be ramped up rather than the more abrupt response found from a conventional throttle cam. It has no noticeable effect when you you roll on the throttle more aggressively or the distance that the throttle needs to be rotated for every day riding. It just works, soon you will forget it is installed and you will forget about abrupt acceleration or “throttle snatch” out of turns.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
612 Posts
I honestly don't understand why so many experienced riders have an issue with the throttle on the 09..? I've never owned a motorcycle in my life until March 22nd 2014 when I picked up my FZ. I admit the throttle in STD & A modes would have been a bit much the first week or so, but now I only ride in A mode unless it's raining. The throttle curve in A mode isn't too bad once you're used to it, you just need a few weeks and then it's a piece of cake. I like having that instant insanity at just a subtle wrist twist :cool:

Reactions: nickv09

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting used to it then I jumped on an R6 at the weekend and the throttle roll on was glorious, it reminded me that a smooth predicable roll on can be had without having to concentrate so hard on wrist movement. I don't know if mines exceptionally bad but even riding at a constant speed over a slight bumpy surface has my bike lurching around all over the place. I'd like to be able to concentrate on cornering technique rather than throttle control.

As said, no ecu flash over here so that's not at option.

Don't get me wrong I like lairy bikes, always had Supermotos, but to be fast on the street through turns is all dependant on smooth throttle control, which the FZ just doesn't have. Judging by all the threads and all the ecu work people have done.

If anyones forgotten what a smooth roll on should be like, go take an R6 for a spin around some twistys.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was getting used to it then I jumped on an R6 at the weekend and the throttle roll on was glorious, it reminded me that a smooth predicable roll on can be had without having to concentrate so hard on wrist movement. I don't know if mines exceptionally bad but even riding at a constant speed over a slight bumpy surface has my bike lurching around all over the place. I'd like to be able to concentrate on cornering technique rather than throttle control.

As said, no ecu flash over here so that's not at option.

Don't get me wrong I like lairy bikes, always had Supermotos, but to be fast on the street through turns is all dependant on smooth throttle control, which the FZ just doesn't have. Judging by all the threads and all the ecu work people have done.

If anyones forgotten what a smooth roll on should be like, go take an R6 for a spin around some twistys.

Sent from outer space
Yeah my buddy has a 2014 Street Triple and a couple of weeks ago we traded bikes for a few miles, his Triumph certainly rolled on very gradually. I can't argue that smooth turns would be aided by a slightly less abrupt throttle response.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my buddy has a 2014 Street Triple and a couple of weeks ago we traded bikes for a few miles, his Triumph certainly rolled on very gradually. I can't argue that smooth turns would be aided by a slightly less abrupt throttle response.
It's the one thing thats been bugging me about the FZ, I have a tamer on the way so in 6-10 days I'll know how it works out :)

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What was the Street Triple like compared to the FZ? I've not ridden one but do like them, was the riding position similar?

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
since you have an mt, have you done the co adjust to richen up the closed loop mixture? that should make a noticeable improvement.
Yeah its set to 14, have Akrapovic also.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a G2 throttle tamer on an Aprillia it was a must have to make that bike smooth. Before my ecu flash my FZ-09 was snatchy but it just made for a more precise right hand when cornering.

My personal opinion of the R6 is its a slug untill you hit 10,000 RPM's and it takes its time getting there.

Since the FZ-09 has a fly by wire throttle I wouldn't even mess with the G2. Flash your ecu shoot you can even change when full throttle comes on and how it comes on. You could make full throttle at half throttle or never if you wanted.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a G2 throttle tamer on an Aprillia it was a must have to make that bike smooth. Before my ecu flash my FZ-09 was snatchy but it just made for a more precise right hand when cornering.

My personal opinion of the R6 is its a slug untill you hit 10,000 RPM's and it takes its time getting there.

Since the FZ-09 has a fly by wire throttle I wouldn't even mess with the G2. Flash your ecu shoot you can even change when full throttle comes on and how it comes on. You could make full throttle at half throttle or never if you wanted.
As said we don't have anywhere in the UK that can flash the ECU. I've filed my own cam on my throttle and so far was very pleased with how it works now, so I know the G2 with a decent machined cam profile will feel just as nice if not better.

ECU Unleashed in the UK are waiting for a bike to do the ecu flash so once they've got that off the ground I'll prob get it done. It'll prob be around the equivalent of $700+ so I'd be a fool not to try the g2 as its much cheaper.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also that place is in Jersey which is an island off the coast. Have sent an email though so you never know.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
p.s. lots of yamahas use the same stock throttle tube (fz1, fz6, fz8, etc.), but g2 does specify different skus for their throttle tamers. so it's likely the cams are slightly different between them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
p.s. lots of yamahas use the same stock throttle tube (fz1, fz6, fz8, etc.), but g2 does specify different skus for their throttle tamers. so it's likely the cams are slightly different between them.
The FZ6 is the only one that has the same throttle as the FZ09, I checked all the numbers. The G2 for the FZ6 comes with a cam that is 20% smaller than the original diameter for 1/2 the throttle travel then ramps up to stock diameter, and from what I've done to my own throttle that should work fine.

Have emailed that company, am awaiting response.

Sent from outer space

1 - 20 of 43 Posts