Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

Today I replaced my OEM throttle tube with a G2 Throttle Tamer. I already had Nick at Stoltec reflash the ECU which helped smooth the fueling. But I still found the roll on/roll off a little ragged. So I decided to give the G2 Throttle Tamer a try. I have Oxford heated grips so replacing the throttle tube took a little longer than it would have with the stock grips. But I completed the refit in 20 minutes. Then I took it out for a test run. The roll on/roll off is now silky smooth. For me at least, the combination of the Stoltec flash and the G2 throttle tamer has resolved all fueling issues. Given the modest investment, I think the G2 is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
nice review. Been waiting for someone to try this. The issue I found with the ECU reflash software is its limited in how fine of an adjustment one can make to the throttle maps. I had suspected a throttle tube with different cam profile could fill in those gaps where the software could not. I will have to add that to my list. Where did you get it and how much?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've installed one as well, with the stock Y400 cam, no ECU reflash. It's made a big difference, especially coming out of the corners.
Ordered mine directly from G2 Ergonomics, about 100 bucks. Much smoother throttle action too.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well, I just went out to the garage, pulled the handguard to the side, removed the tube, popped the new one in, glued the grip, and safety wired it tight. It took ten minutes. The safety wire took the longest. I am riding tomorrow and just had to do it before my ride.

I bought mine straight from G2Ergonomics and felt that the Y300 profile would be the best for me since the other mods have almost eliminated the snatchyness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered it from G2 directly. I ordered it on Monday, got it today and installed it. I seem to recall it was $100+/-. For what it is worth it is a serious step up from the OEM plastic throttle tube.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I modified the stock throttle tube- removed the cable end after taking the top of the housing off, and used a dremel cutoff wheel to remove material from the cable channel. I probably removed about 3/64" near the cable end, tapering to nothing about 5/8" past the raised section of the tube. I had my ECU flashed by Nick 6 months ago and, while it was about 80% better than stock, it's now 90%+. I'm pretty happy with the action at this point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Funny that a lot of members are pulling the trigger on this at the same time. I'm not going to reflash because I bought the extended warranty. Four months and 2000 miles in, I got the Y400 version installed this morning, $79.99 from G2. I have been riding in B mode almost exclusively since day one, because on the rough New England roads it was impossible to balance the throttle in the mid RPMs. It was either on or off in STD or A. What a difference this makes! STD the whole test ride, easy to manage inputs and to balance over bumps. That extra 10 HP is now usable under real world conditions at any speed. I highly recommend this as the cheapest and easiest way to fix the abrupt fueling issue.

·
Registered
149 Posts
nice review. Been waiting for someone to try this. The issue I found with the ECU reflash software is its limited in how fine of an adjustment one can make to the throttle maps. I had suspected a throttle tube with different cam profile could fill in those gaps where the software could not. I will have to add that to my list. Where did you get it and how much?
RutMonkey have it for cheaper (64$):
G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

G2 themselves pointed me in the direction of RutMonkey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi got G2 fitted at the weekend wow what a difference no more constantly thinking about the throttle. This is the best improvement I have ever had to a bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
My review (and is just my opinion). I have been riding with the G2 Throttle Tamer (Y400) for two months now. It is amazing. Really smooths out the initial throttle roll-on. I am super happy with it. However, I did notice that WOT required a little more roll. So, I ordered the ECU flash from Stoltec right before Nick stopped taking orders. I also ordered another throttle grip so I could easily change out the stock and G2 cams. My impression after a couple hundred miles is that the roll-on smoothness provided by both solutions is pretty much equal. The re-flash definitely smooths out the engine braking, which obviously the G2 can not. It also felt good to have the original throttle travel back. I'm sure having both will make it super smooth (and I will try it), but I like the aggressive response with just a touch of smoothed out roll-on. The facts: Stock throttle travel is ~80 degrees (little less than 1/4 travel). With the G2 Y400 cam throttle installed the travel is ~100 degrees (little more than 1/4 travel). I'll try both configurations on the track in a month or two. Super happy I managed to get the Stoltec flash (thanks Nick). Since it's not available at this time I would recommend having Flash Tune do it. I'm sure that would help the standard cam throttle as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Got mine installed tonight. I just took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood but wow what a different. I need to adjust the cables a tad but couldnt believe the difference. I do think I will get a smaller cam after getting the flash done though. Cant wait to get some more miles on it. I definitely recommend a G2 if you cant swing the flash right away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed my G2 about a month or so ago and tested all 3 options (Y200, Y300 and Y400). STD mode fueling is a serious issue on this bike and just partial throttle opening with the Y400 makes it more pronounced. You can feel it only on very slight roll-on which would be a commuting mode. I ended up liking the combo of Y400 and A mode the best.

One thing I did not attempt was their quick turn throttle with B mode.

Don

·
Registered
263 Posts
I installed my G2 about a month or so ago and tested all 3 options (Y200, Y300 and Y400). STD mode fueling is a serious issue on this bike and just partial throttle opening with the Y400 makes it more pronounced. You can feel it only on very slight roll-on which would be a commuting mode. I ended up liking the combo of Y400 and A mode the best.

One thing I did not attempt was their quick turn throttle with B mode.

Don
Nice, I'll have to give A mode a try. I seriously went on a 5 minute ride just to see how it felt.

I don't plan to flash my ECU (don't want to void the warranty); would the Y400 be the best option then?
I would go that route if I were you. Order it from rutmonkey for $64 shipped and if you don't like it I'm betting you can resale it pretty easily.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't plan to flash my ECU (don't want to void the warranty); would the Y400 be the best option then?
I have the Y400 and like it - but also signed up for the Stoltec reflash before the cutoff. I need to send my ecu in... I prefer as little engine braking as possible - it comes from growing up on 2 stroke multi's...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts