Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post so please excuse any errors. I purchased a 2014 blazing orange fZ-09 in October, so far I love the bike except the snatchy throttle doesn't give me the most confidence in and out of corners. I had my local dealer re-flash the ECU and it was definitely better that before but I still felt that it wasn't smooth enough. I purchased the G2 Throttle Tamer last week and installed it yesterday..WOW what a difference. I am much more confident in the corners and my off the line and shifts are much smoother. I just wanted to let you guys know that I think the tamer is well worth the money and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
thanks for reminding me! this has been on my to do list for the winter and totally forgot about it. I'm not ready to shell out $1k+ for a pipe and custom ecu flash so I think this will be a nice fix for now.

Is it the same length as the stock throttle assembly or does it require cutting?

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
It slides right on. The hard part is getting the old grip off, if you care to use it.
A bit of wd40 under the grip and a bit of compressed air and it comes right off.
Clean the inside of the grip with some alcohol or wash it with dish washing soap to
get the wd40 off of it and any hairspray can be used to glue the grip back onto
the throttle tube.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The G2 is the best mod I've made so far. With the tamer you don't even need a reflash. It's the perfect balance of power and control/modulation in the stock A mode.
I just used water and a Phillips screwdriver to get the stock grip off, no glue necessary on reinstall.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not ready to shell out $1k+ for a pipe and custom ecu flash
You don't need to shell out the 1k for everything. Even if you don't have an exhaust, the flash by Vcyclenut will fix all your throttle woes and a couple other reprogrammable issues for just $80 plus shipping costs. And you get unlimited lifetime re flashes for just the shipping cost.

I'm glad Santeelocal is happy with his purchase, but I highly recommend anyone with throttle complaints talk to Vcyclenut before you make a decision, especially since the flash and this throttle tube are the same price.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Anything that makes the bike easier to ride is a good mod, if it works for you that's great for me just the re flash was enough. Rr. :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Santee in the house! i'm in lakeside, welcome neighbor! are you going on the big ride this saturday?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey daufcguy, glad to meet another east county rider. sorry for the late response but no I did not go on the 21st, maybe next time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only had my bike out twice since I bought it in December and only did conservative 'feel it out' riding in 'normal' mode. I didn't notice any snatchiness coming on the throttle or even doing steady low speed stuff. I just assumed that my bike already had the new Yamaha flash from the factory. For you guys that had the on/off throttle problem--did it show up in normal mode or only in A mode?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've only had my bike out twice since I bought it in December and only did conservative 'feel it out' riding in 'normal' mode. I didn't notice any snatchiness coming on the throttle or even doing steady low speed stuff. I just assumed that my bike already had the new Yamaha flash from the factory. For you guys that had the on/off throttle problem--did it show up in normal mode or only in A mode?
It took me about 150 miles before I started noticing it. I hadn't ridden anything in 4 years, and I was paying more attention to clutch feel, engine noises, braking, not falling over, etc... The fuel is leaner at low RPMs and that has some to do with the jerky feeling that is still present. Its really noticeable in slow and go traffic and going over speed bumps.

I think someone from Australia has made a mod to change the "closed loop" fuel ratio to match the normal fuel ratio. Its different at low RPM to pass emissions tests. The other contributing factor is that the fuel injectors shut OFF at 0 throttle, so turning the throttle creates a surge as it goes from 0-wherever. That will only be fixed by an aftermarket flash.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
G2 worked for me. Zero jerkiness on throttle transitions in turns and wheelies, and I flashed my ECU. It feels like a carb bike. I leave mine in A mode all of the time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I bought my 2015 FZ09 last Friday and rode it in STD mode for about 50 miles.. Later in the day, I decided to give A mode a try.. It was noticeably smoother, and I haven't looked back. My bike may already have the newest ECU flash, but I'm under the impression that the bike was developed for A mode and perhaps Yamaha decided to add STD & B modes to offer a tamer machine..

A mode, FTW!

Reactions: DNFDOUG
1 - 14 of 14 Posts