Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is my first bike, I have been really easy on it and only had it 2 weeks, the bike has never been over 70mph and it has never seen more than half throttle. the first day i had it i underestimated the power and it took off on me and i panicked and turned hard, grazed the ground and scratched the cover behind the shifter a little but my leg saved the bike from going all the way down and i was only going 5mph or so. with the background out of the way i just pulled into my apartment complex and turned the bike off, as I did I noticed it was smoking, my first assumption was that it spit out all the coolant, it didn't look like it and only a few seconds after the bike was off I checked the engine temp and it read 179*f, so I checked the oil spotter glass and it was virtually empty....How could a bike with 300miles on it already be burning oil? :confused: I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, I guess I fill it up tomorrow morning as well since I already bought the 600m oil change stuff. any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Normal to burn a bit of oil when new. Now stop over thinking things and go drive that thing like you stole it!

First thing I did when I got mine was hammering the throttle up to 10K and shutting the throttle to seal the rings...

·
Registered
611 Posts
like it and only a few seconds after the bike was off I checked the engine temp and it read 179*f, so I checked the oil spotter glass and it was virtually empty...
I think that temperature is okay...Hot concrete and low speed on a hot day. I will get you a reference temperature tomorrow or perhaps someone else can before I do.

Did you check it with the bike vertical or on the kick stand?
Good point...have someone check that level while you hold the bike level. It will fluctuate a LOT if it is not level.

Reactions: DylZoid

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you check the oil level before this incident and after to rule out it may have been low from the factory? As emtechbali asked about how you checked it...it should be checked with the bike level. Hope it's nothing serious. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Where was the smoke originating from? What color was it? It's unlikely that you're burning oil, but it could have possibly been under filled from the factory. In order to check the level correctly the bike needs to be completely vertical and after warm up, it needs to sit for a few minutes to allow the oil to drain back down to the pan and sight glass...

*edit* Apparently my typing is slow and several others have made similar suggestions to mine, sorry guys...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Did you check it with the bike vertical or on the kick stand?
+1 - if you think the bike is burning oil - i highly doubt it. Oil will likely not show up in the spotter glass unless the bike is level.

Now you may find this next comment nonconstructive but i feel it has to be said - this is why a bike like this is not good for a lot of beginners - on a 250cc or even a 650cc a misjudgment like that is met with far less consequence - consider yourself lucky the situation wasn't worse or that your misjudgment didn't put you into oncoming traffic and hit by a car or into a guardrail.

If you haven't taken an MSF course - it's a really good idea.

Lastly - i'd read up on proper maintenance of your newly acquired ride - in my experience - if you don't know your dealer well - and you come off as knowing nothing about your ride - they will screw you every chance they get.

I say this because i was in your shoes in the not so distant past. I took my first bike (SV650) in for a service at a suzuki dealership - told them flat out i was a new rider - wasn't 100% sure what needed to be replaced on the bike given i bought it used and was hoping they wouldnt screw me on being honest with my questions.

They charged me $450 to "look the bike over" - this included an oil change and the techs time for taking it on a joyride for over an hour. When he got back - he told me the "clunking noise" engaging the clutch on the bike - meant that it needed a new clutch (the bike only had 19k miles on it and he wanted $2000 for that - I paid $3k total for the bike). He also told me a few other points that ended up being total BS.

I didn't take the dealer up on any of the recommended maintenance - went on a forum and started researching everything i could about tooling the bike - i suppose your first post is a good one given the above. The dealer btw, went out of business 6 months ago.

Sorry to derail the thread - but hopefully you won't see this post as an attack and rather as helpful advice from someone who was in your shoes not too long ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt even think of the bike being level playing into it. I'll check again, it was dark when I got home so the smoke color looked white. come to think of it though i could only see it in my headlight so maybe just steam? either way I really wanted this bike and other than that first incident I have been quite successful on it. but thanks for the advice beck, I'll really keep that in mind. either way I will check the oil when its level and cooled down in the morning and post the verdict. I cant think of what it smelled like exactly but it did smell like something burning when I got it parked and cut it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
should have done the motoman break in method, bike is totaled now....
I assume your not serious....I really hope not, either way I dont even know what that is. I was breaking it in the way I would a car with a new clutch.
on a side note, I was a total nube and just assumed all the fluids were filled properly from the dealer so I hadn't checked them before this. I will try to do so every day now just to be sure everything is in good working order and I dont **** anything else up.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I will check the oil when its level and cooled down in the morning and post the verdict.
Wrong again.

Do yourself a favor and spend the evening reading your owners manual... or at the very least page 7-10.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't know about your particular dealer, but that set up fee you pay for doesn't necessarily guarantee they actually checked the fluid levels, and those are filled at the factory during final assembly. If you have your owners manual, try to check the recommended method to check the oil level, and while your at it-before you warm it up, pop the cap on the radiator to see where your fluid level sits and check the overflow bottle level as well. Best of luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did a check. coolent seems a little low, but its still above the bottom line (barely). After I checked that I followed the owners manual and warmed the engine up and checked the oil while a friend sat on it and held it level. oil was dead in the middle. so I started it back up and checked to see where that smoke was coming from and it was some kind of residue on the bottom of my exhaust being burnt off once the exhaust got hot (I have the graves carbon exhaust so its just pipe pretty much). I rubbed a liter on the exhaust where the residue had built up and was burning to check and see what it was and quickly after it was away from the exhaust it solidified into a plastic almost polyurethane type material. So my question now is, wtf is this stuff and what is it coming from? the road? my motor? I have sat in stop and go traffic on this bike for 45 minutes at a time multiple times since having it and have gone on quite a few hour and two hour cruises and this has never happened before. I saved the peice of plasticky stuff in a bag, gunna take it to the dealer in tomorrow to see what they make of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Id sell the bike, buy a beginner bike, take the MSF, and learn a lot first.
I really appreciate you guys looking out for me and all but I like this bike, I don't think this is the worst bike a beginner could have. Plus I financed, so I cant sell it for what I financed for since interest and gear were included. Even if I could sell it I wouldn't because I love this bike already and I'm attached to it. I can promise you that this bike is in good hands, Im being as easy on it as I can and from here on out I will be checking the fluids every other ride. Again im not trying to sound like some punk ass kid that thinks he knows everything, but I'm not going to sell it or give up on it just because its not the recommended or proper bike for a beginner.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So my question now is, wtf is this stuff and what is it coming from? the road? my motor? I have sat in stop and go traffic on this bike for 45 minutes at a time multiple times since having it and have gone on quite a few hour and two hour cruises and this has never happened before. I saved the peice of plasticky stuff in a bag, gunna take it to the dealer in tomorrow to see what they make of it.
Packing material from the after market exhaust possibly?

You should have seen the stuff that got burned off from when I got my exhaust from Marthy. I think he gets a little too into his work if ya know what I'm saying. :laughing4:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts