Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I bought the fz09 a few months back I havent riden my 2012 R1 much. So yesterday on my sunday morning ride I took the 1. My impression are that the R1 makes it way to easy to go way to fast, lol. It is honestly a little booring at anything less then hperspace pace. Corners at a pace that is exciting on the fz09 become snoozers on the 1. 130 mph on the fz09 is exciting on the r1 its just kind of ok what now. So what I walked away from the ride thinking is that in most situations the fz09 is just going to be a more fun bike to ride.

comparing motors: Initial throttle feels a little stronger on the 9 not by much but a little. Obviously once the 1 hits about 8k rpm's there is no comparison

suspension: obviously this isnt close. The R1 I have not even set the sag I think the only adjustment I ve made is to slow down low speed compression dampning. where the 9 is saying whoa there the r1 is begging you to feed in the fun handle.

comfort: this is a hands down winer for the 9. After not riding the 1 for a while the pegs felt really high up with a big bend in my knees. The bars are obviously lower also. The r1 is comfortable by sport bike standards but not as comfy as the 9. I do have to say though the 1 seat is better then the 9.

around town. The 9 is more fun, it is still quick enough to be aggresive and run away from traffic but the 1 around town is like using a sledge hammer to drive in a tac.

hwy traveling the 1 wins with its better seat and actually having wind protection, this mean a lot at prolonged high speeds.

moderate paced sport riding: the 9 is more exciting the 1 more controlled

fast paced sport riding: obviously this is the r1's wheel house and wins hands down

I would say that when I update the suspension on the 9 it may become the best of both worlds, time will tell. But it seems to me at this point it is all thats really holding it back.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I totally agree with your assessment.

I came off a Ninja 1000 prior to my fz09.

In a nutshell: From 10 to 80 the FZ09 is hands down more fun and a little quicker. From 80 to 130 the Ninja is the winner.

Oh yea don't forget the wheelies...FZ da winner!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Nice write up and probably pretty accurate (I've never owned an R1, but have had several Honda liter bikes). Your impression of the FZ will certainly change once you upgrade the suspension and get a proper setup with it.

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's the same way I feel about my friends 2014 zx6r. It's only super fun when ur going nearly 100....the 9 feels better around town.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I don't think you guys ^^^^ are giving the R1 the respect it's due. It's one of the best, certainly in the top handful, of all SS out there. Perhaps, like an adoring parent, you're all a bit biased torwards the FZ09, however the R1, objectively, is a fine ride around town too. Granted, in stop and go traffic who wouldn't prefer the FZ, but who intentially goes out looking for stop & go traffic, lol:cool:

Reactions: cza888

·
Vendor
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own both bikes and adore my r1 it is a beast of machine in a good way. Just making the observation that in most legal situations the 09 is more fun. The 1 is way more competent for sure.

Im just very grateful to be able to have both so I get to decide every time I ride which one to take :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would love to have an R1 at my disposal… but for all the reasons you cite I believe I would just end up in big trouble!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love my '07 R1, and its not even remotely in the same ballpark as the FZ. The FZ to me is an around town bike that can handle the twisties OK. The R1 is insane no matter what you throw at it. The R1 stock suspension is nearly perfect as is. The FZ we all know that the suspension sucks. I ride my R1 around town, or on 400+ mile rides and love it. It was my first bike, bought it in 2010 with 2600 miles on it. It now has 26,000+ miles on it and I was overseas for about 1.5 years between 2010 and 2014. I still fall in love with it every time I fire it up. The FZ was a spur of the moment purchase. I saw it and bought it. I do like it but it will NEVER replace my R1 in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Steve101 and cza888

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I love my '07 R1, and its not even remotely in the same ballpark as the FZ. The FZ to me is an around town bike that can handle the twisties OK. The R1 is insane no matter what you throw at it. The R1 stock suspension is nearly perfect as is. The FZ we all know that the suspension sucks. I ride my R1 around town, or on 400+ mile rides and love it. It was my first bike, bought it in 2010 with 2600 miles on it. It now has 26,000+ miles on it and I was overseas for about 1.5 years between 2010 and 2014. I still fall in love with it every time I fire it up. The FZ was a spur of the moment purchase. I saw it and bought it. I do like it but it will NEVER replace my R1 in any way shape or form.
+ 10000000000

Telling it like it is......:cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
R1 is a really sweet bike :)
Ya, they are two different beasts to say the least. One could get into trouble riding a Grom, doesn't take much ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't think you guys ^^^^ are giving the R1 the respect it's due. It's one of the best, certainly in the top handful, of all SS out there. Perhaps, like an adoring parent, you're all a bit biased torwards the FZ09, however the R1, objectively, is a fine ride around town too. Granted, in stop and go traffic who wouldn't prefer the FZ, but who intentially goes out looking for stop & go traffic, lol:cool:
I think he pretty much nailed it. I have a 2010 R1 and it just got to be too much for commuting and riding around town. It just plain doesn't like to be ridden slow. Keeping it under 8k rpm isn't fun and defeats the purpose of what it's built for... which is why it only sees track duty now.

The FZ is a perfect machine for around town cruising and moderately paced weekend fun rides. I like both bikes, but I love the R1 especially when I actually get to run it! (which unfortunately isn't much these days...)

·
Registered
601 Posts
The jet turbine smooth nature of the R1 engine is addicting, and the top-end rush is exhilarating. But for me it's not fun tippy toeing around using only 10% of its potential.

I can use more of the FZ-09's potential on the street but still not anywhere close to 100%.

And I don't like suffering the unnecessary comfort penalty of a bike that allows me to tuck into a 180mph racing crouch.

The R1 can still be fun on the street. But to me it's a very limited kind of fun compared to the FZ-09.

The R1 has a better stock suspension and brakes? It better. The cost is almost double the FZ-09.

The Ducati 1199 Superleggera is better than the Yamaha R1 in HP, torque, and suspension. But not for the same price of an R1. Not even close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts