Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of us went from the FZ6 to the FZ09. I had my 2007 FZ6 for 3 years before buying my FZ09 this year. I am amazed by the difference and don't regret the change at all! I love the power from what seems like any RPM compared to waking up the FZ6 around 8000 RPM. So chime in on your experience from the switch if you did the same.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
957 Posts
I never owned an fz6 but most any 600 Supersport will be similar in that they don't make much power below 6000 to 8000 rpm. My last bike was a kawasaki ZX6R and I hated the way you had to Rev it high to get it to make usable power. Despite owning in for a year I never really got used to the lack of power at low rpm after coming off of a bike powered by a v-twin before that. It made the bike feel unpredictable and unsafe, the way it experienced this massive drop in power if you let the revs drop below 7000. It felt like the ground literally fell out from underneath you. Being back on something that makes strong power right off idle makes me feel confident and right at home.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also stepped up from a 2007 Fz6. That was my first bike (other than dirt) and I was torn between an Fz6 and the Ninja 650. Ultimately I decided that I would like the 2 stroke like Powerband of an inline 4 vs the inline twin. After riding the Fz6 for 2.5 years I realized people were right about a 600cc bike on the streets. It just doesn't have an always accessible Powerband and no one rides at 9k all day long. I knew I wanted more torque and started looking at Fz8's. Luckily this was right after they announced the FZ09. I waited a few months and told my dealer to call me as soon as they got one. Picked up the first liquid graphite they got in and traded my Fz6 for it. Couldn't be happier. Everything I wanted this bike has. Sure its got flaws, but its way better than the Fz6 and I like tinkering and tuning. It's not a big deal to me that I had to get the ecu flashed and doing suspension work as I progress as a rider. It's fun and I get to make the bike my own. Fz 09 FTW!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is funny, I also had an FZ6 for 3 years and JUST sold it a couple weeks ago. Currently out of the country but when I get back in October I am gonna get the 09 and I couldn't be more excited. The 2016s are gonna be hitting the floor in September so I might have to get that Raven or Impact Blue!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I also stepped up from a 2007 Fz6. That was my first bike (other than dirt) and I was torn between an Fz6 and the Ninja 650. Ultimately I decided that I would like the 2 stroke like Powerband of an inline 4 vs the inline twin. After riding the Fz6 for 2.5 years I realized people were right about a 600cc bike on the streets. It just doesn't have an always accessible Powerband and no one rides at 9k all day long. I knew I wanted more torque and started looking at Fz8's. Luckily this was right after they announced the FZ09. I waited a few months and told my dealer to call me as soon as they got one. Picked up the first liquid graphite they got in and traded my Fz6 for it. Couldn't be happier. Everything I wanted this bike has. Sure its got flaws, but its way better than the Fz6 and I like tinkering and tuning. It's not a big deal to me that I had to get the ecu flashed and doing suspension work as I progress as a rider. It's fun and I get to make the bike my own. Fz 09 FTW!
A lot of people make that same mistake of likening a race tuned I4 to a 2 stroke single. And while it may be a good comparison what they fail to realize is that having a narrow power band with a large "dead zone" in the rpm range where the bike doesn't make enough power to get out of its own way is a very very bad thing on the street that complicates riding, especially when trying to navigate twisty roads. Having a dirt bike background when shopping for your first street bike is never a bad thing, but it's important to understand not everything necessarily carries over. Some things are the exact opposite on the street from the way they were in the dirt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is funny, I also had an FZ6 for 3 years and JUST sold it a couple weeks ago. Currently out of the country but when I get back in October I am gonna get the 09 and I couldn't be more excited. The 2016s are gonna be hitting the floor in September so I might have to get that Raven or Impact Blue!!!
I had the blue Fz6, and now wish I could get that Impact Blue color scheme!

Reactions: Rdawg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently own a black 2009 FZ6, I'v had it for 2 years at this point. I'll probably hold onto it, but I'm going to pick up a FZ09 in the near future. I'v been eyeing them since they came out, but I had just bought the FZ6 at that point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2006 FZ6. I like that bike. I like the riding position, the fairing, the handling, and the range. I don't mid revving it up, and with an aftermarket pipe, it sounds like a jet fighter from 8-11k RPMs. It's easier to ride than the FZ09, and is much more stable in turns and on bumps. However, there is something about the acceleration of the FZ09 that you just cannot get over. The FZ6 is great, but it does not make me go "wow", like the FZ09 does. However, I definitely need to be more careful on the FZ09.

RTW

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had a 2002 FZ1 that I sold with 66K on the clock. Fantastic highway bike, hands down one of my favorites. Had a Muzzy exhaust/rejet, and was a wheelie machine. That bike was a nightmare to work on, though. 20 valve motor, near impossible to reach coolant reservoir, waterpump and oil pump shared same housing, and lived in the oil pan. The list goes on..

Last bike was a 2005 FZ6 fitted with two bros exhaust, juicebox, ss brake lines, front suspension and Dunlop Q3s. Good highway bike, nice looks, screaming engine, but a lot of work in low speed twisties, had to keep it wrapped up around 10K to get some decent corner exit speed. Also, the center of gravity was very high, the battery for example was mounted right behind the steering stem, in front of the airbox. Being gen1, it had single pot calipers up front, and lacked a lot of the modern goodness on newer bikes.

Anywhoo, I had it for 6k miles and had finished all my mods when some cage driver coming down a 2-lane road made a left across my lane. I survived but the FZ6 had bent forks and frame damage. Having cash in hand, I almost pulled the trigger on a Ninja 1000, but I wasn't riding a lot of highway and loved the crossplane triple on the FZ09.. Plus, price point was spot on. When I'm barreling down the freeway for 100+ miles, part of me still wishes I had opted for the Ninja, but when I'm slicing through traffic, thank goodness for the FZ09.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I came from a 2012 FZ6R (not even close to being the same as an FZ6, I know) and after riding the '09 for a couple months, I find the FZ6R almost intolerable - the steering is so heavy and the power is just not there (obviously).

It was a great first bike, that 6R - put 35k miles on it in two years, survived a 75 mph get off, saved me tons of gas money, and generally made me quite happy. My brother has since inherited it, and he loves it, despite having a 10mph get off in his first week of riding.

But the '09 is worlds apart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last bike was a 2005 FZ6 fitted with two bros exhaust, juicebox, ss brake lines, front suspension and Dunlop Q3s. Good highway bike, nice looks, screaming engine, but a lot of work in low speed twisties, had to keep it wrapped up around 10K to get some decent corner exit speed. Also, the center of gravity was very high, the battery for example was mounted right behind the steering stem, in front of the airbox. Being gen1, it had single pot calipers up front, and lacked a lot of the modern goodness on newer bikes.
It's odd though, the FZ6 is a tiny bit heavier than the FZ09, but for what ever reason I feel more comfortable cornering on it than I did when I test rode the FZ09 for an hour. I think it's the extra width, there's more for my knee to brace against on the FZ6. The FZ6 to me feels very similar to riding a Street Triple or a supersport with handlebars. However, the FZ09 is something entirely different, you can tell riding it that it's 100% street bike.

P.s. the FZ6 is really only 15 lbs heavier than the FZ09.

FZ09 Wet Weight = 414 lbs
FZ6 Wet Weight = 456 lbs
FZ6 Naked Conversion = (13) lbs
FZ6 Remove Center Stand = (5) lbs
FZ6 Remove 1.4 gallons of gas = (8.4) lbs
FZ6 Comparable Weight = 430 lbs

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Had an FZ1 and Ninja 1000 prior to the FZ09.

FZ09 is my hands down favorite of those 3.

In golf they say "Grip it and rip it."

FZ09 says "Twist it and rip it." and don't forget to hang on!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Owned both... 6 & 9er.
Enjoyed the 6.
Overjoyed w/ 9er!
Bike is a trip.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's odd though, the FZ6 is a tiny bit heavier than the FZ09, but for what ever reason I feel more comfortable cornering on it than I did when I test rode the FZ09 for an hour. I think it's the extra width, there's more for my knee to brace against on the FZ6. The FZ6 to me feels very similar to riding a Street Triple or a supersport with handlebars. However, the FZ09 is something entirely different, you can tell riding it that it's 100% street bike.

P.s. the FZ6 is really only 15 lbs heavier than the FZ09.

FZ09 Wet Weight = 414 lbs
FZ6 Wet Weight = 456 lbs
FZ6 Naked Conversion = (13) lbs
FZ6 Remove Center Stand = (5) lbs
FZ6 Remove 1.4 gallons of gas = (8.4) lbs
FZ6 Comparable Weight = 430 lbs
Interesting observations. I know that I had to adjust to the twitchy nature of the FZ09 steering, even more so when I put the Q3s on. I feel like everything on the FZ09 has been carefully placed to keep the weight low and even. To me, the Gen1/Gen2 FZ6 bikes were something Yamaha threw together without much effort. I do miss my under tail exhaust though..

Had an FZ1 and Ninja 1000 prior to the FZ09.

FZ09 is my hands down favorite of those 3.

In golf they say "Grip it and rip it."

FZ09 says "Twist it and rip it." and don't forget to hang on!
Glad to hear that Hawker, makes me feel less guilty about not picking up the Ninja 1000.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting observations. I know that I had to adjust to the twitchy nature of the FZ09 steering, even more so when I put the Q3s on. I feel like everything on the FZ09 has been carefully placed to keep the weight low and even. To me, the Gen1/Gen2 FZ6 bikes were something Yamaha threw together without much effort. I do miss my under tail exhaust though..
The FZ09 is just uh... different in the way it steers. It took more adjustment to my riding style to ride the FZ09 than it did for me to jump onto an R6. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just something you have to get used to.

As for the FZ6 being thrown together, I can see that. However, I'm going to go ahead and say the same thing about the FZ09. It's like they spent 90% of the R&D budget on the motor and forgot about the rest of the bike.

I don't really like the undertail exhaust myself, it makes the tail section of the bike look huge.

Ultimately, the FZ6 like the FZ09 is a bike built to a budget. I think their MSRPs were within $200 of each other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts