Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. My name's Pete, and I picked up my new FZ9 last Thursday. I've had several dirt bikes since I was 14, and now, at 51, this is the 1st street bike I've owned (other than a WR250 I plated). Still in the dog house with the Wife, but I have really enjoyed the 1st 400+ miles on this awesome machine. I'm finding the same things that need improving as other riders my size (220lbs.) are here. Priority one for me is the suspension. I'm using the motoman type break in. Got some nice goodies inbound for this surly beast, and will be calling Nick Stoltech today. I'd like to thank all those here for their contributions. This site has been a great resource, both pre and post purchase.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congratulations!....she will get over it-mine did!
She even got her own bike :cool:

Have fun!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Pete! I'm in Houston too... and there are a few more of us around. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh gawd why did you say "****man" break in? When you say it three times the elitists will come after you.

;)

Welcome, the obviously faster red.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I sure hope so. Susan can be as hard headed as I. It has been unseasonably chilly at my house.
Congratulations!....she will get over it-mine did!
She even got her own bike :cool:

Have fun!
Hi Pete! I'm in Houston too... and there are a few more of us around. :)
Good to know. I've been riding north from the Atascosita area, through the national forest between 59 & 45. I look forward to meeting up with some local riders & hitting some new routes. Shoot me a PM :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Still in the dog house with the Wife
If you're in the doghouse now, do not take her for a ride on it with the stock seat/brick. My GF has her own bike (FZ6R) and we dropper her bike off for its first service and then she rode home on the back of mine. Got home 20 minutes later and she was miserable and gave it a big "never again". Just so you don't try to get points that way :)

Anyway, I'm over in Victoria. I was thinking about reaching out to my "neighbors" in Austin/Houston to see if anyone had mods where people can get together and check them out first hand .. or do rides. But, after a 2 hour ride for me to Houston, and then a 2 hour ride back, I'll have 4+ hours in already.

I would suggest Stoltech Flash, maybe a Seat Concepts seat and Suspension for top mods.

Question: Who is your dealer and can you let me know how you like them for service/ customer service?

Congrats!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang. I should have used the asterisks.
Oh gawd why did you say "****man" break in? When you say it three times the elitists will come after you.

;)

Welcome, the obviously faster red.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was considering taking her for a ride after I get more time on the bike (as if she'd get on it as pissed as she is), but your experience makes me wonder if that might be the last ride she'll take. I have considered the mods you mentioned. I think I'll give Nick, and SC a call. Someone here mentioned that the stock seat breaks in after ~600 miles. Anyone else find that to be the case?
As far as the dealer goes, I price shopped the Houston area and got a quote for $8500.00 OTD. I asked the salesman to give the bike a good inspection for scratches, etc., and a few hours later had made the hour drive to Cycle Shack North in Conroe with my truck. On inspection, the front fender had some faint abrasions on it. They tried unsuccessfully to polish them out. The offered some options: sell me a new fender at cost, send in some pictures so Yamaha could evaluate for warranty, or tear up the paperwork and walk. I asked for them to offer some type of accessory, like a seat bag-no go. Sent the pics to the manager, who called back in a couple of days to say that Yamaha would have have them send the fender in for evaluation. At this point, it's not worth any more time to pursue it. I can try a more aggressive polishing compound, and buy a new painted fender for $100. if I get too far through the clear. This dealer had a good price, but I felt like they should have looked the bike over and disclosed the issue before I drove out. I plan to service the bike myself.
If you're in the doghouse now, do not take her for a ride on it with the stock seat/brick. My GF has her own bike (FZ6R) and we dropper her bike off for its first service and then she rode home on the back of mine. Got home 20 minutes later and she was miserable and gave it a big "never again". Just so you don't try to get points that way :)

Anyway, I'm over in Victoria. I was thinking about reaching out to my "neighbors" in Austin/Houston to see if anyone had mods where people can get together and check them out first hand .. or do rides. But, after a 2 hour ride for me to Houston, and then a 2 hour ride back, I'll have 4+ hours in already.

I would suggest Stoltech Flash, maybe a Seat Concepts seat and Suspension for top mods.

Question: Who is your dealer and can you let me know how you like them for service/ customer service?

Congrats!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I swapped my stock seat out to the Seat Concepts one around 1100 miles and didn't notice any break in or improvement at that point. I kept the pad and cover if you want one with 1100 miles by 200lb driver on it already :-D

Worst case if she wants to ride, set the expectation that the stock seat is hard and after you give her a ride, she'll be on board with you spending money on the upgrade. Btw, I don't want to push Seat Concepts and it looks like there are other options coming up mentioned on the forum. Also, here's an interesting link with good reference info that I came across. If there was an actual winter here and a month of down time for riding, I would have given some of the manual seat modifications a try on my own.
DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Btw, that sucks about the fender. They should make good for it at no cost. Factory new is supposed to be just that. Personally, I like the flat black fender on my Orange one. Easy to clean plastic and no paint to get scuffed. If that look would work for you, maybe mention it to the dealer as a no-cost replacement option. Could be cheaper for them than a painted version.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer, 108. Some of us (9 so far) are working on Seat Concepts for a 2nd group buy. If that happens, I'm in for a new seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts