Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the long weekend, I finally did a three hours drive to go from New Liskeard to Sudbury. This bike is like a road kind! To be honest, when I drive by myself with no other bikes around me, I put it on B mode. For me, B mode makes the gears longer and I like to hear the torque coming out of this engine, in any gears. My favourite gear is 3-4-5. It got slightly uncomfortable with the seat after 2 hours but I'll buy one next year.

Anyways, my buddy from Montreal owns a Z1000, a beautiful 4 banger with dual exhaust system (two brothers) and he has a K&N and all that. He was really stocked to see the fz09. He actualy wants to buy one.

We went for a long ride, we did many races and let me tell you the outcome. It's all about the driving skills. But the fz09 is really hard to keep the wheels on the ground. Even if I messed up my take off, as soon as both wheels are touching the ground(after 2nd gear) the fz would come and pass the z1000 because it has way more low end/mid range power. Top end power, it goes to the z1000. But ya, he can only pop wheelies in first gear and I can bring the wheel up at 130km/h in 3rd and 4th gear on A made.

Top speed: z1000: 250
Fz09: 222kmh. I am limited electronically.

All that to say, 115hp can hang on to 140hp. We even traded bike, I really wanted to try it out, I love his bike. The 4 cylinder does make a lot of noise at high rpm but he had some crazy vibration going through his handlebars hahaha

The fz09 is in a class of his own with the snatchy throttle. It's more like a racing motocross compare to the z1000 which is more like a super sports.

THE END

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The 09 has a huge weight advantage over the Z. I once contemplated the Z... But it is so heavy.
I did as well when i was looking at the Ninja 1000. I haven't ridden the Z but it seems like it makes its way into a lot of those liter bike comparos and comes close to last in every one. The price point is pretty cheap compared to the competition but i guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love the z, but I got the Fz-09 cause it $4,400 cheaper. If I had more money to spend on bike I would have considered the z

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Weight is what influenced me. I started thinking about trading for a lighter bike 3 years ago, but until the FZ was released, the only bikes significantly lighter than my GSXR had small underpowered motors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My friend also has a 2014 Z1000. Looks great, sounds great at high RPM (just love the sound of those i-4 engines). But the FZ-09 feels (and is) lighter, has more torque down low, has more legroom (and at 6'1" with long legs it's not an option). I haven't tried racing him as my bike was still in break-in, but I think the 0-120km/h should be pretty neck to neck, above that the extra 150cc and extra cylinder in the Z1000, will make it pull harder longer. But that's exactly why I went with the FZ-09, I wanted a bike that was fun without having to be revving it all the time (and going double the speed limit on the highways). If I had the Z1000, I just couldn't enjoy it at somewhat reasonable speeds, all the fun is at the top end of the rpms. On the FZ-09 the fun starts when the front lifts at 5000rpm lol Seriously for the price the FZ-09 is simply unbeatable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd choose the FZ over the Z1000 all day, every day. The Z is bulky, heavy, and really doesn't have that much power.
For comparison,
FZ horsepower/TQ: 106hp/63bl-ft at wheel
Z1000: 127hp/75.8 lb-ft at wheel

FZ Weight: 414 lb
Z1000:462 lb

FZ Price: $7990
Z1000: $11,999

FZ 1/4 mile: 10.6 sec
Z1000: 10.38 sec

For 4k more, it really has nothing else to offer.
Here's the review on it I just read today
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS- Naked Motorcycle Review- Photos- Specifications

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sure, you have TC and ABS as well, but you can't turn it off

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The USED Z1000 will be avail next year for around $9500. It's NOT going anywhere:cool:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd choose the FZ over the Z1000 all day, every day. The Z is bulky, heavy, and really doesn't have that much power.
For comparison,
FZ horsepower/TQ: 106hp/63bl-ft at wheel
Z1000: 127hp/75.8 lb-ft at wheel

FZ Weight: 414 lb
Z1000:462 lb

FZ Price: $7990
Z1000: $11,999

FZ 1/4 mile: 10.6 sec
Z1000: 10.38 sec

For 4k more, it really has nothing else to offer.
Here's the review on it I just read today
Kawasaki Z1000 ABS- Naked Motorcycle Review- Photos- Specifications
all true, except I paid 7490 for my FZ. It is a really good deal even if you pay MSRP.
but the Z is still a nice bike IMHO. lots of nice bikes out there...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
True, the FZ is such a bargain, it's ridiculous. Barely used bikes selling for under $7k, new for $8k OTD... AND, I prefer this bike to the latest Speed Triple from the Brits

On a value basis, you can't beat this bike, hands down.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was seriously considering a 2013 SE, but then the FZ came along... it was an easy choice, per stevie's comparison above.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a 2003 Z1000. Had it for 5 years. It was heavy. Not a lot of power below 5000 rpm. Today I was spacin' out and didn't realize I took off from a stop in 2nd gear. The FZ didn't complain it just took off. I love the low end power and the light weight.

·
Registered
349 Posts
FZ has badassery in the low end but how often do you travel to the high end???
Deep thoughts - LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously - how often do we all really go full retard???

never-go-full-retard_o_2210635.jpg

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
65 Posts
The FZ has taught me I will not judge a bike until I ride it. I think the FZ feels like a large supermoto with its light steering. To me, that puts it in a completely separate class than most streetbikes. I love the power of a lot of the sportbikes but I want a bike with featherlite steering. So many bikes that have been compared to the FZ have that same streetbike feeling with the heavy steering, diving into the corners. They all have their merits but the FZ is a unique bike when it comes to price, performance, and handling characterstics.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I go full retard every time I ride.

Reactions: steviegx33

·
Registered
377 Posts
The FZ has taught me I will not judge a bike until I ride it. I think the FZ feels like a large supermoto with its light steering. To me, that puts it in a completely separate class than most streetbikes. I love the power of a lot of the sportbikes but I want a bike with featherlite steering. So many bikes that have been compared to the FZ have that same streetbike feeling with the heavy steering, diving into the corners. They all have their merits but the FZ is a unique bike when it comes to price, performance, and handling characterstics.
yep, weight is the biggest factor, well that and the AMAZING motor!

I go full retard every time I ride.
I try not to, but this is such a hooligan bike it is not funny!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts