Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spec-wise, the Yamaha squeezes by the MV with a little over 1.5 ft/lb more torque and weighing within 1 lb of each other (414 lbs vs 413 lbs wet, 65 ft lbs vs 63.4 ft lbs).

For roughly $5000-$6000 more than the Yamaha, you get some seriously sexy fairings, gorgeous sounding exhaust, and better suspension. But hell, you can spend $2k-$3k on the Yamaha and get the Akrapovic exhaust, better suspension, and some aesthetic parts (though not really any fairings/plastic upgrades...yet. Aside from the street rally kit).

What do you guys think? Let's say you had $16,000 liquid to spend on the bike. Would you get the FZ09 again, or go with the MV?

I love mine so far, but a friend with a much bigger budget got the Rivale 800. I plan on swapping bikes with him in the near future and seeing what he thinks about how they ride.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I haven't ridden one personally but a few guys I ride with both own 2013 MVs. They are damn sexy but unfortunately $6,000 in cost difference is just the start. Take your Yamaha maintenance bill and triple it. Then factor in that part availability and dealership network at least here in the states is scarce at best. Need a new part for that Brutale - you better have another bike on standby because it could take weeks or months for it to come in.

Yes they are damn sexy, they have a load of tech and they are quick as sh!t, but the comparo is similar to saying how does a VW GTI compare against a Porsche 911 Turbo?

Sure you get creature comforts in both, but if i could afford it - i'd pick the 911 any day of the week.

If money wasn't an issue - i would buy the MV but if i was making any kind of money conscious decision - i could get an FZ 80% of the way to the Brutale and still save myself a crap ton of money. Sure it won't have that sexy single sided swing arm, the eletronics and those spoked rims, but it will ride like a damn good motorcycle and personally that's all i want.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
^^^^ That's what immediately came to mind with me also.....the Super Duke is in that price range. But, they too have a pretty small dealer network here in the U.S. and in my opinion, it's still pretty hard to beat any of the big 4 from Japan when it comes to reliability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, I don't think it's *quite* comparing a VW GTI to a 911, the 911 costs 4-5x what the GTI does and will absolutely smoke it. The FZ09 can hang with the Rivale and Brutale. Hell, members here have clocked a 10.5 1/4 mile time compared to the Rivale's 10.7 quarter mile. They're easily in the same neighborhood. Of course, the Rivale gets Brembos, but again - for the price difference you can easily upgrade everything on the FZ to be comparable to the point where the only difference is cosmetics.

The maintenance, on the other hand, is a very good point. Yamaha has the reputation of bulletproof Japanese engineering. MV...well, they may no longer be owned by Harley, but I've heard of wait times up to a month for parts before. Even an average time of a week or a few days still doesn't compare to the in and out of a Yamaha, let alone maintenance intervals.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I haven't ridden one personally but a few guys I ride with both own 2013 MVs. They are damn sexy but unfortunately $6,000 in cost difference is just the start. Take your Yamaha maintenance bill and triple it. Then factor in that part availability and dealership network at least here in the states is scarce at best. Need a new part for that Brutale - you better have another bike on standby because it could take weeks or months for it to come in.

Yes they are damn sexy, they have a load of tech and they are quick as sh!t, but the comparo is similar to saying how does a VW GTI compare against a Porsche 911 Turbo?

Sure you get creature comforts in both, but if i could afford it - i'd pick the 911 any day of the week.
I don't know about that ^^^

The Porsche 911 Turbo (nicely equipped) is about $170,000.
The VW GTI is < $30,000.

The proper comparison for the VW GTI is naturally the Audi A3/S3, its upscale brethren.

The Porsche 911 Turbo would Never associate with the VW or Audi, unless it was a "Family Reunion" being held on a Grand Scale as they're all now related (by marriage).:cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't know about that ^^^

The Porsche 911 Turbo (nicely equipped) is about $170,000.
The VW GTI is < $30,000.

The proper comparison for the VW GTI is naturally the Audi A3/S3, its upscale brethren.

The Porsche 911 Turbo would Never associate with the VW or Audi, unless it was a "Family Reunion" being held on a Grand Scale as they're all now related (by marriage).:cool:
I was probably a bit extreme with my comparison but my overall point was just to say that it's a hard comparo given they appeal to different price tiers. The difference with motorcycles the price tiers aren't as extreme as cars.

The only thing i will say is that the exhaust note on the brutale makes me all warm and fuzzy every time i hear it - it's almost worth $6k by itself...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
At the time I bought my FZ I could afford any bike I wanted. But when counting mainenance, dealer support, parts availability, reliability, etc., I chose the FZ. It just feels so damn light and powerful.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If I were to spend 16 on a bike it would be the new R1.

Reactions: Stoltec Moto

·
Registered
150 Posts
If I had $16k I'd go with a S1000R.

Spec-wise, the Yamaha squeezes by the MV with a little over 1.5 ft/lb more torque and weighing within 1 lb of each other (414 lbs vs 413 lbs wet, 65 ft lbs vs 63.4 ft lbs).

For roughly $5000-$6000 more than the Yamaha, you get some seriously sexy fairings, gorgeous sounding exhaust, and better suspension. But hell, you can spend $2k-$3k on the Yamaha and get the Akrapovic exhaust, better suspension, and some aesthetic parts (though not really any fairings/plastic upgrades...yet. Aside from the street rally kit).

What do you guys think? Let's say you had $16,000 liquid to spend on the bike. Would you get the FZ09 again, or go with the MV?

I love mine so far, but a friend with a much bigger budget got the Rivale 800. I plan on swapping bikes with him in the near future and seeing what he thinks about how they ride.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
16K and if I take in consideration the $$$ in maintenance. I'll get 2 FZ09. One for the track and one for the road. :)

But I have to agree, the MV is a sexy b&^%!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was looking real hard at the Monster 1200S Duc when I decided on the FZ. For the difference in price I could make the FZ what I wanted and still have change to spare, plus not be subject to very high parts and maintenance in the future. There is no question, the Italians build some beautiful, sexy, seriously performing machina de arte, but I am very happy with a brand I know and trust and the FZ is a blast to ride once you sort it all out. For what its worth, my monitor has had the MVA Dragster on the desktop for about three months now. Almost like having the cover of the SI swimsuit issue slapped on it, I don't get tired of looking at it and I would love to ride one ...er, that didn't come out entirely PC did it?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
In the shootout review between three triples, the MV came in last.

One more cost factor to consider is insurance. All the mods in the world won't up your FZ premiums.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I wish Japan would hire someone from Italian design department specifically MV's. They make the most beautiful motorcycles I've ever seen, but I've never known anyone who enjoyed riding them. Reliability, mapping issues, and dealer service etc. Our local shop used to carry MV, but got rid of the line because of all the issues.

I love the looks of the new Super Duke and I was seriously considering one last month, but all it took was a visit to the forum boards and reading all the numerous threads of valve issues, clutch cover issues, electrical issues, and "I've owned my bike 5 months been back to the dealership 4 times and I still have issues" threads that I quickly dismissed my lust. I can't see spending $18K on a bike that I can't trust to get me home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was a hard choice between Fz09, Ducati 848/monster, street triple R (if they came out with an 850cc), Brutale, and the SUPERDUKE. If i had the money prolly the 848 dooky, but pound for pound, Fz09 got them all beat Price to performance ratio.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I love the looks of the new Super Duke and I was seriously considering one last month, but all it took was a visit to the forum boards and reading all the numerous threads of valve issues, clutch cover issues, electrical issues, and "I've owned my bike 5 months been back to the dealership 4 times and I still have issues" threads that I quickly dismissed my lust. I can't see spending $18K on a bike that I can't trust to get me home.
KTM = Keeps Taking Money

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yes the MV's are a work of art, but the only dealer in town is the last place you'd want to get work done or buy parts from. That is of course if you don't mind having your wallet stolen each time you walk through the from door, lol.

And they are a wee bit on the pricey side.....

mvs.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts