Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think ktm dominates dual sport , anything less isn't worth it. You half to decide street or dirt unless you get a KTM .
If Honda made a street legal xr650r they would be up there but then you'd half to include other sm bikes.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I buy the XT660Z over the FJ-09. Looks like a great dual sport bike with a nice size gas tank.
I have a mate who is a mechanic with one - he put 17 inch rims on it for sticky tyres, made it quite an angry bike.
I think I'd prefer the hp of the 09, myself.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I buy the XT660Z over the FJ-09. Looks like a great dual sport bike with a nice size gas tank.
I would have bought a XT660Z over my DR650SE, if they sold them in North America.

They sell them in Mexico, I wonder what if you can bring one up from there and get it registered???

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt660tenere.html

You can still pick up a 2013 for $130,000.00 or a 2014 for $154,900.00

Hopefully that is in Mexican Pesos, which make the price a little bit easier to swallow.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Importing a bike is tuff, unless it is 25 years old or older. But if you can get the manufacturer to certify the bike meets USA FDOT and emission regulations, it is a lot easier.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Got a quote on the 2015 FZ and new Versys 650 LT. $7990 OTD for the FZ and $8012 OTD for the Versys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Got a quote on the 2015 FZ and new Versys 650 LT. $7990 OTD for the FZ and $8012 OTD for the Versys.

Wow, thats for the LT? What city are you in?
The pricing is even closer than I thought- you get extra ABS + two saddlebags for the 45-50 odd HP you lose to the FZ! (not to mention the weight gains) :p

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

OTD means ALL fees, taxes, and charges included. Sounds too low.

Don't let several hundred dollars sway your choice -- Get the one that meets your Needs.:cool:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I think ktm dominates dual sport , anything less isn't worth it. You half to decide street or dirt unless you get a KTM .
If Honda made a street legal xr650r they would be up there but then you'd half to include other sm bikes.
After ridind a new KTM 690 Duke I have no doubt about the superiority of a dual sport 690. Comparing the specs between the XT660 and 690 KTM makes the difference obvious. The KTM has 30% more hp and is 75 lbs lighter. As much as I like Yamahas, it's really no contest.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
After ridind a new KTM 690 Duke I have no doubt about the superiority of a dual sport 690. Comparing the specs between the XT660 and 690 KTM makes the difference obvious. The KTM has 30% more hp and is 75 lbs lighter. As much as I like Yamahas, it's really no contest.
But there is a substantial price difference.....ya really do get what ya pay for in this case.

A lot of the initial excitement surrounding the '09 was its sub $8k price point -- it's still very much a Value Proposition.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah, I requested both the sale price and out the door price. The dealer is located near Indianapolis. Found out about them from posts by Fizzerpilot on these forums.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Less than $8100 out the door for the new Versys 650 LT sounds like a very good deal. Be hard for me pass on that price, even though I'm holding out for later year model with cruise control.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The FZ is the bike I'd want to just enjoy riding. But I also want to take some weekend trips and have a passenger from time to time. Setting up the FZ for a passenger (seat and suspension) is a costly endeavor. Then you have to add luggage and maybe some wind protection. But if I ever felt like the Versys was lacking in power, I'd regret buying it. Whereas with the FZ it can be used for touring, but just costs money to get it there. Also I don't like how any luggage racks look on it. The new Versys has such a clean luggage system and the suspension is easily adjusted for a passenger and luggage.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The FZ is the bike I'd want to just enjoy riding. But I also want to take some weekend trips and have a passenger from time to time. Setting up the FZ for a passenger (seat and suspension) is a costly endeavor. Then you have to add luggage and maybe some wind protection. But if I ever felt like the Versys was lacking in power, I'd regret buying it. Whereas with the FZ it can be used for touring, but just costs money to get it there. Also I don't like how any luggage racks look on it. The new Versys has such a clean luggage system and the suspension is easily adjusted for a passenger and luggage.

Well, you have your answer then. The Versys it is.

Honestly, though all that extra power of the FZ is surely helpful in quick overtakes, the track and even two-up to a certain extent, but the 650 is no slouch and is enough for all that- at a more decent, real-world pace.
Many of us, including me, TBH, dont even use half of the awesome power in 80% of the time- to stay out of jail and the radars. And if you tour, the new Versys has done many things better out of the box- better & faster adjusting windscreen, less vibrations, beefier sub-frame, integrated luggage, easy shock adjuster- heck, I am also thinking about it! Only problem is I wonder if the grin-inducing nature of the FZ will be missed now that I have spent more than a year on it! Among all the Japanese bikes, I feel this (maybe the FZ07 too) comes close to how KTMs feel to ride- light and powerful is a good combo.

My FZ09-tourer is almost ready- had to get tail rack, top case, soft saddlebags (hard ones would be better), seat, extended passenger footpegs, heated grips, skid plate- all that cost some dough. Some will need a windscreen too- I am ok with the flyscreen. A lot of riders above 150lbs also felt the need to change the suspension. And then some mods to carry extra fuel for venturing into "dry lands"...I am thinking getting the HB crash guards and hook up two rotopax cans on them- probably will get to the capacity of the Versys. But as you pointed out, more money to bring it to the capabilities of the Versys. Seriously, the Versys only lacks in the power department in comparison to the FZ- but its not dramatically less.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^ And, as stated, the true potential power of the '09 is rarely (if ever) tapped. All great advice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Dealer emailed and said he was mistaken. The LT model is $8654 OTD, which is more in line with my expectation. Either way, close enough in price to not matter much to me.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts