Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping my new post would be pics of a new red FZ09, however:

Just before leaving the dealer, they entered the bike VIN as they do once a unit is sold. A new recall popped up, ordering no sales of the FZ09. Since I had driven a ways, YAMAHA authorized the sale only, but the bike could not leave the dealer:

(From the dealer, and subsequently from YAMAHA via phone)- issued 09/06 was a stop sale pending a recall for faulty headlight wiring. Full lock left and right turns may pull on the wire harness and/ or headlight bulb, disconnecting the wire or bulb and resulting in the headlight going out, which could cause a crash.

This is so new, the lady at YAMAHA advised there were no VIN ranges listed yet, and that the notice should be updated in the next few days.

So- if your bike ends up being a recall unit, there should be a plug extension to install is all.

My bike you ask? It's mine, and at the dealer until they know if it is affected and fixed, or GTG. (Then, to their credit, they are delivering it 360 miles for free)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Early on, a friend riding with me told me that my headlight was not working on a ride. I checked and it was not plugged in. I just thought that maybe I forgot to plug it back in after having done so much stuff to the front of the bike. I will definitely keep an eye on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I did a Cree LED on mine, so there shouldn't be any issues here either.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Maybe they can do the ECU remap and CCT when they fix the headlight harness.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Checked mine tonight... no issues. The lead to the headlight is a bit short... it's also coming off the back of the harness instead of the front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an LED bulb installed. Will I still be required to fix this? Also any word on the new fuel map? Please find out from ur dealer if u can.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Currently there's a (stop sell order) here at my dealer - I'm in Ontario, Canada. My dealer has the service bulletin, but the official recall campaign action-to-take-paper is still forth coming, as well with the part(s) if required.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Stopped by the dealership today. Fix is not out yet. They put me in the cue. He told me that it will probably be like the other couple of bikes and just an extender. Plug goes in one end, the other end goes into headlight. Male/female ends with a short wire. By the way, those can currently be had at many parts stores with heavy guage wires if anyone needs a temporary fix. I used them on a truck that needed them.

Amazon.com: 2x H4 9003 HB2 Plug And Play Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Extension Socket Connector Kit For Head Light Headlight Or Fog Lighting Foglamp Bulbs: Automotive

Wire Electrical connector Technology Electronic component Electronic device

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks DNFDoug, wish I would of tried these connecters first instead of using warranty and taking my FZ to dealer mechanic. Mechanic says he is installing complete electrical harness and sending old harness to Yamaha so they can look it over. Problem is these harnesses are going on new bikes and it's taking way to long for the dealer to get the new harness in. Yep, I know this is a new platform for Yamaha Motorcycles and I know that lots of new models have problems that have to be ironed out. I didn't know that Yamaha would take so long to get these replacement parts stocked. It's been 3 weeks since I took my FZ in, for the head light not working, and my commuting bills are adding up.So I will write Yamaha a letter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wonder when Yamaha will get their act together on this? Hopefully it's days, not weeks away. Seems crazy to stop sale without a fix available. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is a fix but Yamaha will have to get the parts out to dealers, although my local Yamaha place has heard nothing about a recall yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
By the way, those can currently be had at many parts stores with heavy guage wires if anyone needs a temporary fix.
it can be a permanent fix. either something done in advance to prevent failure, or as a post failure repair without waiting weeks for backordered parts and having faith that the dealer can put everything back together correctly.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I am going to do it just like I did the CCT and forget about taking it in to the dealer. Going to use electrical tape and dielectric grease on the midway connector.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
So...the Yamaha fix is likely to be nothing too different than the jumper from Amazon Doug posted up?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts