Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FZ09
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with my 2016 FZ09. The bike has just over 10,000 miles on it and after a short warm up (about 2-3 minutes) the bikes idle will drop until it shuts offf. Restarting produces the same result with the bike dying after a few seconds of running at idle. I can hold the throttle open to keep the bike from dying at idle but would like to solve my issue so that it idles correctly. The bike has an Akrapovic exhaust and tune from Vcyclenut, both installed over a year ago and never had an issue up until now. I suspected valves might be the issue so I checked the clearance and they were all in spec. Attempted a throttle body sync and I can't get the bike to idle long enough when warm to adjust the throttle bodies. The only recent mods have been replacing the clutch with an XSR900 slipper clutch and changing the oil but I'm having a hard time believing that is the cause of the issue. Looking for any ideas that you may have to try and troubleshoot this issue.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Check your air filter so as there is no restrictions there .Be sure the throttle bodies boots are tight ..no air leaks....you can turn up the sync screws on the throttle bodies by turning it up "clock wise" first 1/4 turn the two non painted adjustment screws to see if you can keep it running then to set the sync ..if it still does not idle turn the painted one 1/4 turn clock wise . also check fuel flow ,spark plugs....

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FZ09
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tested with a new air filter, checked the boots, tried new spark plugs, all did not fix my issue. Went into diagnostics mode and reset the Idle Speed Control data (Diagnostic code 67) and had no luck with the idle problems. Tried resetting it at operating temperatures of 195 coolant temp and the problem went away and the bike was acting completely normal. Thought the problem was fixed until today when the bike started doing the exact same thing as previously, it would not stay running after it turned off and I had to hold the throttle open at the stoplights to get the bike started. The problem seems to occur as soon as the bike hits 140 degrees on the coolant temp so that may be related to the issue. Not sure why resetting the ISC fixed it for one ride, and I'm not entirely sure what the ISC controls, as the bike was running perfectly after resetting it. On the ride back after the bike quit working again I noticed loud and excessive popping as if the bike was running without the correct A/F ratio. I emailed David from Vcyclenut to see if he may think that the tune may be related to the issues so we will see what he says.

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FZ09
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is only a few months old so I don't think that would be the cause of the issue.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
547 Posts
Did you check to see if the ECU had any diagnostic codes? If it does they may point in the right direction of what is broken.

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FZ09
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No codes or check engine lights. At this point I’m hopping for one so I know where to look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts