Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how is everyone liking their fz's? any problems? hows the reliability? personally i've gotten 4237 miles and nothing has gone wrong other than a burnt out plate light. btw what do you guys tend to shift at? personally i feel 3-4k seems perfect and im always scared to take it any further afraid of breaking anything. how does the engine hold up to you guys at higher rpms? and another think, does anyone have a rough vibration at about 3500 - 4000 rpm?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
no problems at all with my bike......and I routinely rev it to 7K just cruising around town

as far as shifting goes, 3 or 4 K is fine if your just putting around, but don't be afraid to crank it up, nothing will break.....8K power wheelies are a ton of fun...:)

Ive also bounced mine off the rev limiter a few times and its still purring like a kitten....

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have about 3k miles on mine and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever aside from the faulty cam chain issue.

TBH the bike doesn't begin to get into it's "comfort zone" until about 6k RPM. If you've had the bike since new and have gone this long without taking it above that I'd worry about other reliability issues that might appear over the longer term. These bikes, while they don't DISLIKE chugging along at low RPM (as opposed to a race-tuned 4 cylinder), they still have a natural "preference" for the neighborhood of 6-8k RPM. When pleasure riding I will take it to 8-9k before shifting. When commuting in heavy traffic or logging highway miles I shift before that point.

ANY sort of bike with a performance-bred engine will have a preference for higher RPM running speeds. They are built and tuned for running at higher RPM (the "sweet spot" is usually about 2/3 of the way through the tach sweep) and can do so for extended periods without negatively affecting reliability.

Also, supposedly (and I can't confirm this) these bikes' charging systems don't start working at optimal capacity until you get to about 5k.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yea i had that cct rattle at about 1700 miles went away the next morning. i do notice this bike doesnt like anything lower than 3k
the only time my bike has seen 6k is when i was cruising at 90 mph

btw, weapon, im moving to allentown pa later this summer, i dont think youre too far away. couple hours

·
Registered
957 Posts
yea i had that cct rattle at about 1700 miles went away the next morning. i do notice this bike doesnt like anything lower than 3k
the only time my bike has seen 6k is when i was cruising at 90 mph

btw, weapon, im moving to allentown pa later this summer, i dont think youre too far away
Depends on which Allentown you mean. There's an actual city called Allentown which is clear across the state about 4-5 hours away from me, and there's an Allentown that is a suburb of Pittsburgh, which is where I live.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah a pretty long drive. moving to macungie allentown area

also, when do you recommend an oil change? currently using mobil 1 10w40 full syn and a napa gold 1358? oil filter

did the first change at 350 miles, second at 1350
im thinking 3000, if so then i can probably go another tank of fuel before changing

·
Registered
654 Posts
no issues here so far, im not taking mine to the limiter but im definitely shifting higher than 3-4k

·
Registered
218 Posts
Owned mine for 11 months. 8600 or so miles on it. So far the only issue I've had has been a stripped oil pan due to me being an idiot and getting confused about lefty loosey righty tighty while upside down. I mainly commute on it, usually cruising around between 5000-6000 rpm. I beat the piss out of it at least one time a week if the weather permits.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so compared to you guys im ***** footing lol. how are you guys on the stock tires? i got the dunlops and at 4200 miles they still got a little before the wear bars

·
Registered
116 Posts
I respect my bike but I do not go too easy on her. She has seen the limiter twice because the front tire came up near the end of a gear while taking off hard. She has a little over 5k miles and starts without hesitation. I keep her maintained with full Mobil 1 4t synthetic and have never had the cam tensioner problem, although since it is under warranty I might go have it done before my year is up anyway. My stock tires lasted to about 2500, being the battleaxes. Now I ride nothing but Dunlop q3's, may one day try the Pirelli Angel gt's if I want a little more life from my rubber.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
After I ride to work tomorrow, I'll have just a hair over 5k miles. Only issue I had was the CCT that was replaced. Other than that, no issues. Around town, I'll usually shift around 3-4k RPMs...on the highway, anywhere from 5-7k.

·
Registered
957 Posts
so compared to you guys im ***** footing lol. how are you guys on the stock tires? i got the dunlops and at 4200 miles they still got a little before the wear bars
The stock Dunlops are junk. People who got the Bridgestones made out much better I have about 3k miles on my bike and although they have a somewhat fair amount of tread on them they are by no means confidence inspiring. I have a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart IIs ready to go on this weekend.

I did my first oil change when I brought it in for 600 mile service and had them put Silkolene synthetic in it. I alternate between Motul, Silkolene, Motorex, Amsoil, and Maxima synthetics, which ever of those I can get the best deal on at the time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
so how is everyone liking their fz's? any problems? hows the reliability? personally i've gotten 4237 miles and nothing has gone wrong other than a burnt out plate light. btw what do you guys tend to shift at? personally i feel 3-4k seems perfect and im always scared to take it any further afraid of breaking anything. how does the engine hold up to you guys at higher rpms? and another think, does anyone have a rough vibration at about 3500 - 4000 rpm?
It's Japanese. In all my years of owning bikes a Japanese product has never made me walk.

·
Registered
957 Posts
which tires should i get for best tread life and grip ratio?
For most people, sport touring tires are the ideal. The best tires in this market segment are the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Dunlop Roadsmart II, and Pirelli Angel GT. The Michelins represent the all-rounder in the bunch and will probably offer you the longest overall tread life (although any one of them should easily get you 8k+ out of a set), the Dunlops are the best for aggressive riding, and the Pirellis are known to have the best wet weather performance of the bunch.

Honorable mention goes to the Bridgestone BT-023 for being the most budget-conscious of the group while still offering good performance and tread life. The higher end T30, however (which was designed to compete with the tires mentioned above) is woefully inferior.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
which tires should i get for best tread life and grip ratio?
Mich PR4s. Great tires. I have put almost 3,500 miles on the FZ and look great. 6,000 miles on the Suzuki and it's beginning to show. I'll probably get 9k out of them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It's Japanese. In all my years of owning bikes a Japanese product has never made me walk.
+1 I had a Nissan truck while in college that never let me down. SD to SF. Desert camping trips. I put 200k on that truck. Only replaced the battery and clutch engage switch (I had to jump start it so it never made me walk!). After I graduated, got a real job and bought another truck. I gave the Nissan to my step-dad. That was 12 years ago and he's still driving it around!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just ticked past 13k on the speedo.

Zero problems and on my 6th set of tires. Yea I like to twist the throttle.

CCT has made some noise from time to time but the noise will not hurt anything. Its still the original one.

Its such a great bike. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts