Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Its almost time for me to change the rear tire. Im starting to see a flat spot in the center of the tire. Can anyone tell me the socket size i need to use to remove the nut on the rear wheel. Is there a specific torque setting when putting it back? I was looking at you tube videos and it doesn't look that hard to do. Many different ways. Has anyone tried the zip tie technique? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I will be going to pick up some tools for the bike, and wanna start doing (learning) my own adjustment and tune ups. Will be picking up tire irons, rim protectors, wheel balancer, and more. I don't wanna have to rely on the dealership all the times (oil changes, etc), not to mention all the money/time spend for something i could do my self. THX for your help. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello all. Its almost time for me to change the rear tire. Im starting to see a flat spot in the center of the tire. Can anyone tell me the socket size i need to use to remove the nut on the rear wheel. Is there a specific torque setting when putting it back? I was looking at you tube videos and it doesn't look that hard to do. Many different ways. Has anyone tried the zip tie technique? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I will be going to pick up some tools for the bike, and wanna start doing (learning) my own adjustment and tune ups. Will be picking up tire irons, rim protectors, wheel balancer, and more. I don't wanna have to rely on the dealership all the times (oil changes, etc), not to mention all the money/time spend for something i could do my self. THX for your help. :)
Whats this zip-tie technique you talk of??

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just replaced my rear last week, but I never heard of the zip tie technique. I'll have to try that next time; it does look easier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
you could do without the balancer honestly. Just line the yellow dot on the tire sidewall up to the valve stem on the rim. No vibrations felt up to 150mph!

Also get 90 degree valve stems, 20 dollars well spent.

·
Registered
768 Posts
you could do without the balancer honestly. Just line the yellow dot on the tire sidewall up to the valve stem on the rim. No vibrations felt up to 150mph!

Also get 90 degree valve stems, 20 dollars well spent.
After mounting a TON of tires professionally, I can safely say that the dot method will get you in the "ballpark" of balanced - as in the theoretically heaviest part of the rim is lined up with the lightest part of the tire. That does not mean they balance, however. If one were to take a bare rim (no tire) and put it on a balancer, there is a chance the rim will not balance with the valve stem at the heaviest point. Ever see a small yellow or white paint dot on a new car or bike rim edge? That's the heavy spot. My last new car had little stickers on the rims and the marks on the tires lined up with those - not necessarily the valve stem.
Ditto two of my last three Honda bikes. Balancers are not expensive or hard to master.

This is the only personal photo example I have. Sorry it's not a bike. But, you get the idea.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Alloy wheel

·
Registered
239 Posts
After mounting a TON of tires professionally, I can safely say that the dot method will get you in the "ballpark" of balanced - as in the theoretically heaviest part of the rim is lined up with the lightest part of the tire. That does not mean they balance, however. If one were to take a bare rim (no tire) and put it on a balancer, there is a chance the rim will not balance with the valve stem at the heaviest point. Ever see a small yellow or white paint dot on a new car or bike rim edge? That's the heavy spot. My last new car had little stickers on the rims and the marks on the tires lined up with those - not necessarily the valve stem.
Ditto two of my last three Honda bikes. Balancers are not expensive or hard to master.

This is the only personal photo example I have. Sorry it's not a bike. But, you get the idea.

View attachment 15801
Yup, my veloster turbo has orange dots on the rim of the wheel also. Everyone I knew kept asking me why I put dots on my wheels lol But yeah, you're 100% right. Depends a lot on the quality of the wheel casting and chance as to how close to the valve stem the heaviest point is. Only one wheel on my Veloster has the dot basically over the valve stem.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
And, what do you do if you buy Michelin tires, with no paint dot? Easy, balance the tire/wheel combo on a static balancer (takes about 5 to 10 minutes) and you are good to go. When I had my 1000RR, I had that bike to an indicated 176 MPH on the back straight of Road Atlanta and it was as smooth as a baby's butt.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts

View attachment 15801
This is so true. In fact, all three sets of wheels that I have for my track bike, has been marked with a center punch (lightly) as to the heavy spot of the wheel....WITHOUT the tire on it....in other words......the bare wheel with no tire mounted. Guess what, the valve stem is NOT the heaviest spot on any of the 6 wheels (three front and three rear).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Or people can just use Ride On and be done with it. Lol
We charged a cleanup fee for a wheel that had anything liquid inside (balance fluid, fix-a-flat, Slime, etc...). It is no fun cleaning that crap off a $6000 tire changer.
=)

I'm with TripleThreat, a static balancer is simple, effective and easy, too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We charged a cleanup fee for a wheel that had anything liquid inside (balance fluid, fix-a-flat, Slime, etc...). It is no fun cleaning that crap off a $6000 tire changer.
=)

I'm with TripleThreat, a static balancer is simple, effective and easy, too.
Ride on doesn't make a mess like fix a flat liquids. Glad I don't use your shop. Mine is how I learned about ride on. Just goes to show how most shops nickle and dime people.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Don't you think if products like Ride on, slime, etc, were that good, the professional teams would be using it on a regular basis? No Thanks, I'll stick with a Marc Parnes balancer, and my stick on wheel weights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't you think if products like Ride on, slime, etc, were that good, the professional teams would be using it on a regular basis? No Thanks, I'll stick with a Marc Parnes balancer, and my stick on wheel weights.
Pro teams don't use them because of weight. Adds more weight than a few oz of metal. Their aftermarket wheels are also made a hundred times better than the stuff put on our bikes. You're welcome to stick with your wheel weights and shove your attitude where it don't shine.

No one can give input on ways to solve problems on this forum without someone being a d**k about it. It's ridiculous. Guess everyone has to do and buy what the pro teams use. Motorcycles as a hobby just got super car expensive everyone, time to get second jobs.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
You're welcome to stick with your wheel weights and shove your attitude where it don't shine.

No one can give input on ways to solve problems on this forum without someone being a d**k about it. It's ridiculous. Guess everyone has to do and buy what the pro teams use. Motorcycles as a hobby just got super car expensive everyone, time to get second jobs.
There is absolutely NO REASON for a response like that. Everyone on here has the right to express their opinions, as long as it's done without name calling and such.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, bambamrl, I appreciate your passion. I've changed many a tire with tire spoons and rim protectors. If this is your first go round at changing a motorcycle tire I would suggest that you invite a friend or two over to help with the job. I've tried the zip tie method years ago and it doesn't seem to be any easier than using some good tire spoons and and rim protectors. With tire spoons, rim protectors and a bunch of Windex I can usually have a tire changed in a few minutes. Good luck and be sure to ask for help your first time or two when changing a tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx everyone on their input. Yes, this will be my first time. The FZ09 is my second bike and recently sold my Hyosung GT250. I prefer to go the old school way of changing tires manually since i don't have enough space in my garage to keep big professional tools. I picked up some tire irons, a wheel balancer and some zip ties from harbor freight, gotta start somewhere :D . Figure i try both methods and see which works better for future tire changes.
Whats a good all around tire you would recommend? I mostly ride highways and local roads on daily weekend trips. No wheelies or stunts. Never done tracks. I try not to ride in rain but did get caught out there a few times. I'm looking for a tire that would be grippy on both dry asphalt and rain, and last at least 5K miles.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A guy I work with has a Suzuki SV1000R with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires. The rear tire is almost ready to be replaced and he has 24000 km (15000 miles) on the current set. He uses his bike for the same kind of riding, highway, touring, day trips, commuting and no track runs. The PR3's have more tread sipes for the rain as well, and I have heard good results with them. Revzilla is a good spot to do some price comparisons.

I also run Ride-On in my Dual Sport DR650SE tires and it works great. I like the idea of it helping balance and a tire sealent, so you don't get a flat in the middle of no where. It is also designed for high speed motorcycles tires, not like Slime, and it doesn't make a mess of your rims. There is a video on their website that shows how it works.

Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

I'll be getting it installed after the stock tires need replacing, and probably getting a set of PR3's as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how many miles you got of the stock tires? Im currently at 2074 i can see the flat spot forming in the middle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts