Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally when breaking the norm of cruising in the city or playing in the twistes, I will be on the highway for prolonged periods of time at a set speed. What Is a safe cruising speed for the fz with engine wear and oil shear being the consideration.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
55, or the posted Speed Limit, lol :p

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Is 70 for say 45 minutes acceptable is pretty much what I'm going for
Absolutely.The speed is not the factor, the RPM's will be...so dont so 70 in 1st gear for 45 minutes and you will be fine...:)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
What's the hypothetical safe cruising rpms?
assuming you are cruising in 6th gear, you wont be able to go fast enough to make it matter.... Ive done 2.5 hour highway trips at 85MPH...its hurts your ass a lot more than it hurts the bike.

EDIT: I guess I really didn't answer the question....once the engine is broken in, there should be no cause for concern about extended highway trips. stay in high gear , stay off the rev limiter and there should be no problems

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Is 70 for say 45 minutes acceptable
What's the hypothetical safe cruising rpms?
By coincidence I took a short trip today, one way took almost that long and I maintained about 80 give or take a couple for most of the way, both going and returning.
On an FZ any speed you can maintain for that long, without getting a ticket, should be plenty easy enough on the motor.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
By coincidence I took a short trip today, one way took almost that long and I maintained about 80 give or take a couple for most of the way, both going and returning.
On an FZ any speed you can maintain for that long without getting a ticket should be plenty easy enough on the motor.
How's your arse....???

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I'v noticed that after a couple of hours on the bike on a highway, you start feeling the vibrations in the footpegs
One of the mods done are rubber topped footpegs. Generally for better grip, but vibration damping is a likely side benefit.

This is a super smooth engine, so are there other possible sources like wheel balance?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
One of the mods done are rubber topped footpegs. Generally for better grip, but vibration damping is a likely side benefit.

This is a super smooth engine, so are there other possible sources like wheel balance?
+1 go ride a V-twin 1 litre bike, or a 650cc or larger single cylinder thumper for a couple hours. Then you will be reminded how smooth the 09 runs. Even a smooth running V-Twin is a paint shaker compared to the 09.

With my DR650SE and it's concrete block of a stock seat, riding the 09 is like changing from a miss firing rusted out old Ford Pinto to a Lincoln Town Car, lol.

If you still feel the 09 vibrates to much, take Tigershark's advice and get a better set of grips and some rubber topped pegs. Even a better set of riding boots can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
835 Posts
assuming you are cruising in 6th gear, you wont be able to go fast enough to make it matter.... Ive done 2.5 hour highway trips at 85MPH...its hurts your ass a lot more than it hurts the bike.

EDIT: I guess I really didn't answer the question....once the engine is broken in, there should be no cause for concern about extended highway trips. stay in high gear , stay off the rev limiter and there should be no problems
True that. I ran a 6 hour day cruising at 85-90mph the whole time. I was definitely butthurt about it.

Reactions: xHD and Crosshairs

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did a run from San Diego to Nogales, AZ at 80+ (appx 400mi), and the thing ran just the same at the end 9 hours later. I also averaged 40.5 mpg, so win in that dept...

Biggest piece of advice I have to those planning a longer trip, buy ear plugs and cycling shorts. That gel pad makes life so much better, and is like an insurance policy, just keeps things safe and cozy... LOL

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In agreement with pretty much everyone here, running at highway speeds for extended periods will not hurt the bike.

+1 go ride a V-twin 1 litre bike, or a 650cc or larger single cylinder thumper for a couple hours. Then you will be reminded how smooth the 09 runs.
Even my YZ450F vibrates like hell compared to the FZ. Get on the FZ after a few days on the YZ and it feels electric bike smooth.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts