Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... :) ... the question has been asked here thousand times, probably, but I actually want an answer based on my own perspective as a rider.

Currently, I own a SE Bonnevile, which I love, and that's the 1st dillemma. Should I keep it or sell it? Or maybe wait a bit and own two bikes?

I used to own a ST but lost the bike due a stupid teenager that missed a stop sign. There was no good in-line 3 alternative at that time, so I went for the ST. After the accident, I stay without a bike for few months and later I bought the Bonneville. Awesome bike.

I am almost 40. 6 years riding. I took the MSF course before my 1st bike and consider myself a responsible rider. But I kind of miss that adrenaline rush or feeling that in-line engines can provide.

So ... besides price, what the fz09 can provide that the ST cannot? Also, if I sell the Bonnie, do you guys think that the fz09 will fill that void?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally, I like modern motorcycles styled in similar manner as the Bonneville. If you can keep two, I suggest doing so. The FZ-09 is an exciting motorcycle, but predicting some seller's regret if you let go of the Bonneville isn't difficult. Sorry I can't help much with a Street Triple comparison.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I do really appreciate your input.

I parked my car last night and when I saw the Bonneville I told myself... "wow, what a great and nice looking bike". It does not have the same performance the ST or fz09 have, but it truly is a joy. But again, I kind of continue craving that adrenaline rush that the in-line three provides and the Bonnie does not.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Best wishes on your decision. There are days when a relaxing ride on my Suzuki TU250X is a pleasure. Your Bonneville has much more power, but the disparity of performance between the Tux and the FZ-09 is a bit of its own reward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I owned at 2009 T100 and let it go to buy a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird which I still own. There were more than a few times that I regretted letting go of the Bonneville if that helps your thinking. Later I picked up a used Triumph Sprint which is of course a triple and enjoyed the difference between the Tbird twin and the Sprint. Tomorrow I'm taking a road trip to pick up my new Blazing Orange and cant wait to have a triple back in the stable with the parallel twin. If you can keep the Bonnie and get the 09 you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh my God!

I visited the dealer and seated on one (didn't ride it). That bike is beautiful and fits like a glove, lol ... They have a red one and a black one with blue wheels.

But agree, I'm not so sure I'm willing to give up my. Bonneville. Even the sales guy made the comment; not sure if it's because he's trying to avoid a trade in or because he's being sincere, ha.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The street triple R seems to have better throttle control and suspension if you are in the 150LB range.

If you are bigger... and loves excitement , there is no replacement for displacement

letting go of something you LOVE is gonna hurt imho

just my 2c

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a EN500 Vulcan that i decided to keep when I bought my fz. I still love to hop on the cruiser for a low and slow experience. I'm sure you have gathered but keep the Bonnie if you can. As for the ST it seems more refined but at the cost of displacement and price point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've decided I'll keep the Bonnie SE :D

I will wait a bit and save for a big downpayment and probably will get the fz09 by the end of this year, maybe earlier.

I love motorcycles but the attachment to this Bonnie has been stronger than I thought. I can't explain. It's a bike with soul.

You all guys, please ride safe and keep videos of the fz09 coming, lol ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys, just finished a photo shoot and real world camparison between the street triple and fz for City Bike Feb issue. I would buy the fz hands down because of cost, power, comfort,more modern styling and low cost maintance. The street triple is a nice bike for sure but won't put the smile on your face the fz will. RR:cool:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've decided I'll keep the Bonnie SE :D

I will wait a bit and save for a big downpayment and probably will get the fz09 by the end of this year, maybe earlier.

I love motorcycles but the attachment to this Bonnie has been stronger than I thought. I can't explain. It's a bike with soul.

You all guys, please ride safe and keep videos of the fz09 coming, lol ...
I'm in the same spot you are in sir. I have a Harley 48 and a Ducati Monster and I'm in love with the FZ09. I can't swing three bikes, so one of them has to go and I gotta a feeling it's going to be the 48. But my hope is that Yammi will come out with the 2015 FZ with an R spec level, and if that happens I will be stoked. Even if it doesn't I will get the fz and if I can't live with the suspension I will upgrade it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm in the same spot you are in sir. I have a Harley 48 and a Ducati Monster and I'm in love with the FZ09. I can't swing three bikes, so one of them has to go and I gotta a feeling it's going to be the 48. But my hope is that Yammi will come out with the 2015 FZ with an R spec level, and if that happens I will be stoked. Even if it doesn't I will get the fz and if I can't live with the suspension I will upgrade it.
No not the sportster, I'm telling ya. I did sell mine and ended up buying it back for 500 more than I sold it. The 09 is awesome, but the sportster is like the wife and the 09 the mistress.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No not the sportster, I'm telling ya. I did sell mine and ended up buying it back for 500 more than I sold it. The 09 is awesome, but the sportster is like the wife and the 09 the mistress.
Yeah I was afraid I was going to hear this, I have a pit in my stomach thinking about getting rid of the 48 (especially after I have tricked it out with drag bars, VH Comp 2 into 1 exhaust, springer seat, and new digital/analog odo)......maybe I can take my tax return and swing a third bike, but it just seems so self indulging. Better to find out now, then to try and deal with regret later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I gave up my 2007 Speed Triple for my FZ-09. The S3 was awesome! but I got too many tickets with it. And I change my mind alot. I hope I keep the FZ for more than a year

·
Registered
221 Posts
maybe.. maybe not :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts