Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post (new user) here.
I had a couple of questions about the FZ 09 (I have done plenty of research already)

I had a 2005 SV-650s unfortunately it is no longer with me. So i am looking into a FZ09.

Now that i have experience with different riding styles (My dad's Shadow and the SV) the only thing that i want in my next bike is when im on the highway lets say going 50mph (Coloradan drivers) and i need to get around a car quickly will the FZ have the torque and power to take off? I understand the cc comparison. I like the different modes and the feel of the bike (I have ridden dirt bikes my entire life).

I just drove the FZ09 and i am quite impressed the next step is to take the girlfriend to get her okay.

As far as opinions go. The FZ riders out there is this the bike that i should go with? or should i just get a zx-10r or a r1 for the power? Or heck even a zx6r or a r6?
i am 5'6 and the girlfriend is 5'4 so the zx and r1 should be comfortable.
I am not one to go out and customize the bike but i would like an exhaust and blinker eliminator, tail light eliminator and mirrors.

Also a small note we are planning on moving to Pennsylvania soon that place is all hills and turns.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real world, riding in traffic, passing without down shifting a lot etc, the light weight of the 09 and it's broad torque curve means it accelerates as hard or harder than a lot of bikes that have higher peak HP.
That's what I am thinking but I want to be completely sure before I invest thousands into a bike that doesn't do what I want. But nice point.

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
Matthew4371.......Welcome to the FZ09 forum.....lots of good info here.

Matthew4371 wrote:
I just drove the FZ09 and i am quite impressed the next step is to take the girlfriend to get her okay.
Uhm, I'm pretty sure that "girlfriends" don't need to give approval for motorcycle purchases..........that comes after she is your wife and she says NO! :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
You rode the bike and you still have to ask if someone else thinks it's fast enough for you? I'm not being a jerk but let me ride it for 5 minutes and I can tell you if it's fast enough to pass a car. Look at the 0-60 and 1/8th mile times and you'll know how quick this thing is or go look at the video that Negative posted on his ride impression, you'll have no doubt and it's a fun video, he's a crack up...Mark

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
can it pass a car on the highway?....well, I actually dont know...all I see on the highway are colored blurs...they might be cars

you know in star trek when they go into warp speed, and the stars all stretch out?...riding the FZ is kind of like that

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I found myself laughing out loud. If you rode the bike and did a lot of research, you would not ask if it had enough power. I pass cars with on coming cars not far off. It is as fast as a Superbike. My girlfriend's okay, what? That is too ****ing funny. My wife has her own R6. All joking aside, this is a very unique bike at a very unique price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haha! Dude, my wife's Honda Fit passes cars... did you have problems passing with the SV? I seriously doubt it. From what I understand this bike is a torque maniac and makes it everywhere. My 1000rr I would assume make more, and definitely more HP, but 6th gear droning is sluggish and any real grunt requires a downshift or two. The FZ is meant to be more street friendly.

If passing is a problem, it's on you. And I'm just sorry about your girlfriend..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I pass cars on the country roads with a 50cc Zuma.....and I didn't have to ask my wife if it was ok.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Jeeze, kind of hazing the new guy here...maybe the girlfriend check was to make sure she could ride on the back ok?
Maybe he has a sugar-momma and shes buying it for him...that would be awesome...

Where in PA are you moving to Matthew?

·
Registered
962 Posts
For carrying an adult passenger I would suggest lowering the passenger pegs. MFW Vario pegs are really nice - but I've heard of others that are cheaper (especially if you just want to go down - and not be truly adjustable). My 6 year old daughter is 4 foot 3 and fits the rear pegs/seat. She does want a different seat that doesn't slide her down into me, and a backrest - but the pegs are perfect for her.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you're coming off an SV, which is a fun bike (I've still got mine), and you twisted the throttle even a little bit, you'd realize it is exponentially faster (and has more low-end grunt) than your SV. I'm not a life coach or anything, but get the bike thing sorted out with your girlfriend while she's still only a girlfriend!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeeze, kind of hazing the new guy here...maybe the girlfriend check was to make sure she could ride on the back ok?
Maybe he has a sugar-momma and shes buying it for him...that would be awesome...

Where in PA are you moving to Matthew?
Hit it right on the head.

We will be in the pittsburgh area.

I suppose i should clarify about passing cars.. I found that my SV at times was boggy on the highway it also took a while to speed up it wasn't an issue of the RPM's being too low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts