1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Results of Engine Oil Survey

Survey of FZ09 User Forum

M.Nofi 6/24/19
134 respondents (I also did an extensive search for oil information on the forum)

Categories:
Oil Brand (n=134)
Mobil 1 20% (MC oil)
Shell 19% (Rotella)
Motul 14%
Yamalube 13%
Amsoil 10%
Castrol 7%
Redline 2%
Rock oil 2%
Silkolene 2%
Golden Spectro <1%
Ipone <1%
Kawasaki <1%
Klotz <1%
Liqui Moly <1%
Lucas <1%
Maxima <1%
Motorex <1%
Repsol <1%
Royal Purple <1%
Valvoline <1%

Oil Type (n=115)
Full Synthetic 83%
Mineral Oil 10%
Semi-Synthetic 7%

Cold Weight (n=112)
10W 71%
5W 15%
15W 11%
20W 3%
0W 1%

Hot Weight (n=112)
40W 86%
50W 15%
30W 1%

Notes:
* About 2% of the respondants switch oils seasonally.
* Surprisingly, few FZ09/MT09 owner’s use Redline, Golden Spectro, and Royal Purple.
* 10W40 appears to be the most popular oil viscosity.
* Full synthetic oil is very popular.
* Semi-synthetic oil is not popular.
* Yamalube is popular as a good starter oil for break-in. I was surprised that 13% continued using Yamalube after break-in.
* Shell Rotella is very popular. Riders in this forum know a good deal when they see one!
* Owners have little concern about switching oil brands (even viscosity).
*Reasons to switch: smoother shifting, quieter engine, reduced vibration, and cost. Added HP is not a reason.

Thanks to all who participated!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the stats. On another note, has anyone watched Project Farm's oil championship on youtube. Doesn't include all the oils from the list but covers a few.

Attached is the final episode of the championship but it seems like a very legit comparison.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikka2448. Thanks for the nice feedback. According to the survey I see you were listed as a Mobil 1 4T 10W40 user! I bought a case of this oil for my new MT09, but decided to use Motul 7100 FS 10W40. I had been a staunch user of Mobil 1 15W50 FS (red cap) in my Buell XB12SS for about 30K miles. I may switch in the future. Mobil 1 is so easy to find. And it is cheaper, too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Has anyone tried the Rotella T-6 15-40? I live in the Northeast so I'm thinking in the summer it may work well although I'm very happy with the T-6 5W-40, especially at the price.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably should have mentioned this sooner, but I had a problem with Rock Oil foaming a lot that I could see in the sight glass. I did get an oil light come on when the level was near the top with it. Scared me to see that oil light come on about a quarter of the way between Death Valley and Pahrump. Fortunately it went out very soon, as I was slowing to stop and be very sad. I kept my eye on it the rest of the way and it didn't go on again, but every time I checked the sight glass, it was quite foamy for about thirty seconds. I was concerned about cavitation in the oil pump. But since oil lights are now for level rather than pressure, not sure what any of that means. I had plenty of oil, up to the top of the sight glass, a tiny bit higher than "full".
So I replaced the oil with something else when I got to Las Vegas.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
So the oil survey results are- use any oil you want that falls within the recommended specifications laid out by Yamaha in your owners manual. Okay, got it.

Reactions: Finny47

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm surprised Mobil 1 is at the top. I thought that was car oil, I use Mobil Racing 4T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. I thought the hot 50 might have a higher percentage. I sit in traffic with the engine between 200-230 on my commute. Regardless of the ambient temp, my engine is on the hot side.

Reactions: MrNofi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finny47: I was also surprised. For the MT09 Yamaha is recommending their 15W50 full synthetic oil for warmer climes. I live in Northern California where the summer temps can exceed 110F, typically on average, 3 to 5 days each summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone tried the Rotella T-6 15-40? I live in the Northeast so I'm thinking in the summer it may work well although I'm very happy with the T-6 5W-40, especially at the price.

only use Rotella T6 full synth 5/40 in my bikes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts