Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so when I got my bike it had 900 miles, I changed the oil when I got it just to make sure it was fresh and I noticed it was way overfill. I didn't think much of it at the time I figured the previous owner just added a little to much oil. So I refilled it and got the oil level just right, warmed it up and checked again. Perfect right in the middle between the 2 lines on the sight glass. Then I rode for about 1000 miles and I checked it again last night and it was way over serviced again. Has this happened to any of you? I'm going to suck out the excess just seems kinda strange to me.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
The only time I've ever seen this is on some old carb'd bikes where if the floats got 'stuck' then gas could drain back into the cylinders and down to the crank case. I don't think I have to point out that riding a bike where a large percentage of fuel is mixed in the oil is generaly a bad thing for many reasons.

I assume you're on a level surface, pulling the bike up to 'level' (not on the sidestand), and waiting for a bit after warming the engine and shutting it off to check the oil level.
When you changed to oil did you also change the oil filter? When you took the filter off did 'a lot' of oil come out of it, or only a little bit? The only way I can imagine the bike going from 'perfect' to 'overfull' is if the check valve isn't sealing fully and is allowing all the oil to drain back out of the filter into the oil pan when the engine is off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The oil looks like oil, doesn't it? Not like chocolate milk?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only time I've ever seen this is on some old carb'd bikes where if the floats got 'stuck' then gas could drain back into the cylinders and down to the crank case. I don't think I have to point out that riding a bike where a large percentage of fuel is mixed in the oil is generaly a bad thing for many reasons.

I assume you're on a level surface, pulling the bike up to 'level' (not on the sidestand), and waiting for a bit after warming the engine and shutting it off to check the oil level.
When you changed to oil did you also change the oil filter? When you took the filter off did 'a lot' of oil come out of it, or only a little bit? The only way I can imagine the bike going from 'perfect' to 'overfull' is if the check valve isn't sealing fully and is allowing all the oil to drain back out of the filter into the oil pan when the engine is off.
Yes same exact spot I filled it at and on the rearstand just like when I filled it. Yes engine was warmed up then shut off and let sit for a few minutes to let everything drain back down. You bring up a good point about the oil filter, my memory is a little fuzzy because it was a few weeks ago but I do not think it was completely full of oil. Also worth noting that this is a k&n filter both times. I wonder if it's just the oil in the filter draining back into the pan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is on the kickstand
and here on the center stand.

I have seen this happen many times working on outboards (I am a service writer at a yamaha outboard dealership) and every time it has been a stuck thermostat mixed with a lot of time running at idle or low RPM. This doesn't seem like that, because the motor gets up to temp just fine and I definitely don't run low speeds.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I changed the oil on my MT 10 and I couldn't firgure out why it took an entire quart more to get it to the right level in the sight glass. I finally figured out that I was using the oil spec from my FJ 09. Good thing Yamaha puts that little window down there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The oil is surprisingly dark for what, a 1000 miles?
Don't have an answer for you - fuel, coolant or someone is playing games with you

Reactions: don67

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well I think the oil witness window will show fuller after a decent ride and will need time to settle.

these bikes do eat oil though. Don’t believe me? Look in your air box lol. I always have a qt with me at the track because her red oil light will come on intermittently through turns

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well I think the oil witness window will show fuller after a decent ride and will need time to settle.

these bikes do eat oil though. Don’t believe me? Look in your air box lol. I always have a qt with me at the track because her red oil light will come on intermittently through turns

·
Registered
49 Posts
The second pic shows it on the center stand. Center stands will lift the back wheel off the ground and in my experience the oil will show a higher level as the sump will be angled towards the front of the bike causing the oil to not be level in the sump.

If you stand the bike upright (off the side stand) without putting it on the center stand, where is the oil level?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The second pic shows it on the center stand. Center stands will lift the back wheel off the ground and in my experience the oil will show a higher level as the sump will be angled towards the front of the bike causing the oil to not be level in the sump.

If you stand the bike upright (off the side stand) without putting it on the center stand, where is the oil level?
OK so I rode the bike to work this morning because the car was blocked in. It was very dark looking and overfilled when I left the house, rode 20 miles to work and just about immediately after parking on mostly level ground stood the bike up straight by holding the handlebar and looked at the sight glass, not only was it at the correct level, it was a golden color like it should be. Is it that all the oil and crap in the filter is draining back into the pan after sitting?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My next practical joke - I'm going to go around and add 1/2qt of oil to every unattended bike I see.
You should totally play a prank on me where you come put a little bit of gas in my tank when I'm not looking... You prankster you!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
You should totally play a prank on me where you come put a little bit of gas in my tank when I'm not looking... You prankster you!
I can't wait to see your post about your magical bottomless gas tank....and then the guys in the white coats will come and take you to a nice quiet place where there is padding on every surface.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The oil is surprisingly dark for what, a 1000 miles?
Don't have an answer for you - fuel, coolant or someone is playing games with you
+1 Mine remains golden for at least 2,000-3,000 miles.

I once dealt with an old Suzuki quad that had similar symptoms, and dumping the oil revealed that it was dark and watery and probably 70% gasoline. Hard to imagine that happening on a modern MT09, but you might give it a sniff test just to rule it out.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

My 09 has not needed any topping up between changes, and the only time it had an abnormal amount of oil in the airbox was when I pinched the breather hose.
The oil level light can come on if the oil level is not right up to the top mark.
If your bike has had a hard break in to make it faster, I could imagine that would make it use oil faster too.

Reactions: Pazzo

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 09 has not needed any topping up between changes, and the only time it had an abnormal amount of oil in the airbox was when I pinched the breather hose.
The oil level light can come on if the oil level is not right up to the top mark.
If your bike has had a hard break in to make it faster, I could imagine that would make it use oil faster too.
I honestly think half of it is I forgot where the shift point is on the rpm and I hit the limiter (on track only)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Mine too doesn’t burn or consume a drop of oil. Should be about 10k miles on it now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts